Thread: Northfield Airloom Recurve with A-style

Default Northfield Airloom Recurve with A-style

Before I pull the trigger on one of these cases, can someone verify that they are a good fit for A-style mandolins (specifically, a Pava A)? Their description says it fits both, but all the reviews and pictures I've seen here on the cafe only show F-styles inside. Bonus points if anyone can show me a picture of their A-style inside the recurve!

Default Re: Northfield Airloom Recurve with A-style

Here you go...perfect fit for my Heiden A

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Northfield and Heiden A-1.jpg 
Views:	204 
Size:	1.66 MB 
ID:	195860

My buddy uses one for his new Hinde A. He says it fits in there really well, and protected it perfectly during an accidental drop off the back of his bike! Came through without a scratch.

Yup, my Northfield A5 special arrived in an Airloom and it fits perfectly.

Resident Hack

I've been trying to upgrade my Travellite. These look cooler but structure/protection-wise, are they an upgrade? Specs suggest it may be a lateral move.
    What I play
    2021 Skip Kelley Two-Point
    Eastwood 'Ricky'
    Morgan Monroe RT-1E
    Epiphone Genesis guitars
    Various Basses

Larger bodied As based off the Gibson ovals are a real tight squeeze. My Duff did not really fit and it is based off of the Griffith body.

Regards to protection these are not flight cases. They are not meant for situations where a mandolin needs serious protection.

7. The following members say thank you to Josh Levine for this post:

I have one of the earlier ones. Nice, but I like the newer one that came with my Big Mon. It's somewhere between the Travelite and the almighty Calton. For most folks, the Calton is overkill, although a $10k Heiden should reside in something like a Mainstage or a Calton. As my luthier tells me, good repairs are time and $$$$.

And Mitch, structurally, they are waves above the Travelite, of which I have had a handful.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

9. The following members say thank you to Mandobar for this post:

I have one for "about the town" use and fits my Nugget A, also an Ellis twin point. When I travel out of town, I use a Calton for maximal protection.

My Collings MT fits great in my Airloom case. No problems at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Levine View Post
    Larger bodied As based off the Gibson ovals are a real tight squeeze. My Duff did not really fit and it is based off of the Griffith body.

Regards to protection these are not flight cases. They are not meant for situations where a mandolin needs serious protection.
    If I'm not mistaken, Pavas are based on that general profile right?

I am a Pava owner myself, and very interested in this thread; my Pava fits its Superior case very well, but is way too snug with a Tone Gard on (case barely closes, too much pressure on bridge). Still haven't heard if there's a case that fits a Pava A with the Tone Gard on!
    "Yeah, well, you know, that’s just, like, your opinion, man."

Thanks everyone. I ended up ordering a green one (it shipped super quickly) and the Pava does indeed fit well. I don't own a Tone Gard, but there seems to be more clearance in this case than in the Superior. I'm not sure it's an upgrade in terms of protection from the Superior but, for me, it is a huge upgrade in functionality and aesthetics.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0342.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	698.9 KB 
ID:	195912

14. The following members say thank you to mixolydia for this post: