Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bobelock arrow case

Default Bobelock arrow case

Is there a general opinion on these cases as compared to others in that price range-$200-$300. Thanks
    Early 1954 Gibson F-12
    Lare 1922 Gibson A2 paddlehead
    Late 1963 Gibson A5 Two point
    1950's Stradolin
    ~1918 Weymann Style 30

" Mandolin - good for the mind, good for the body, good for the soul"

Default Re: Bobelock arrow case

I use them and like them.
    They are not "flight cases", you can't run over them with the car or drop them out of airplane windows without damage, I wouldn't even try standing on one, but they offer plenty of protection for the instrument in most situations.
    You get:
    A well made fiberglass hull with a nice slick finish.
    Excellent latches that only require a "flip" of a lever to open or close.
    A nylon fabric case cove with a large zipper pocket and a "subway strap" (I prefer to leave the case cover behind).
    A hygrometer inside the case to monitor relative humidity.
    A shoulder strap.
    Nice looking upholstery inside the case.
    A very good seal for the lid to discourage moisture and even moderate water splashes and rain.

All in all, for those of us who seldom fly with an instrument, who use a case for simple storage and transport of the instrument, the Bobelock arrow case is more than adequate at a reasonable price. It is probably my favorite mandolin case.

No financial interest here, I just think it is a good product at a good price.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sunburst For This Useful Post:

I had one in the past. I liked it pretty well for the protect, and design.
    One caution: I would recommend NOT getting one with the maroon interior.
    Over time the maroon dye bled onto the mandolin. Not good.
    I contacted the seller and was told it was out of the warranty period. Frustrating.
    Otherwise. I liked it.
    Eric Hanson
    Click #016/ Born on 2/29/08 - Sold to the next Conservator of this great mandolin!
    The search has ceased! (At least for now)
    Collings A-Style
    White #29R : Oh my!! This one is so AWESOME!!

5. The following members say thank you to Eric Hanson for this post:

I’ve only had the fiddle case from Bobelock, and it actually floated in a flooded hotel room in the winter in Jackson Hole WY, kept my fiddle high and dry. It’s about 20 yrs old now and has held up well for the amount of use and abuse it’s seen.
    2007 Weber Custom Elite "old wood"
    2017 Ratliff R5 Custom #1148
    Several nice old Fiddles
    2007 Martin 000-15S 12 fret Auditorium-slot head
    Deering Classic Open Back
    Too many microphones

BridgerCreekBoys.com

I’ve had one (red arrow) for a while and really like it. The case pocket is too small for a pack of strings, but that’s never been a problem for me. I also like that it doesn’t look like everyone else’s case at the end of the evening. The cover makes carrying everything needed quite easy. I’ve just purchased a Calton, but only because I’m going to have to fly a few times soon. And while I trust the Bobelock, I don’t trust it to the point of a possible gate-check.

Registered User E.R. Villalobos's Avatar

I recently bought an ivory arrow case. We have a crossrock fiberglass case in the family that I really like and I decided to try something different. I like the arrow shape and design, backpack strap connections, and the value is great for the price I paid at Morgan Music. I also like the rubber seal, case cover, and interior. My mandolin sits tight with no wiggle or play.
    I made a modification to my case- the rubber ‘foot’ used to lift the top conflicts with the carrying handle so I drilled a new hole, pulled out the rivet holding the foot and moved it to the side and out of the way of the handle. If you look at the location of the foot on their violin case lids you’ll understand what I mean. The molded plastic handle could use a little work and I will be taking my dremel to smooth out the hard seam on top of the handle. These are minor issues that could be left alone but the architect in me said what a perfect way to procrastinate. Overall, it is a nice option for a fiberglass case.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8B95FB97-32E5-47FF-8154-F0E726E78F40.jpg 
Views:	248 
Size:	1.17 MB 
ID:	195863  
    Last edited by E.R. Villalobos; Aug-18-2021 at 11:48pm.

Gummy Bears and Scotch BrianWilliam's Avatar

I’ve had my bobelock arrow case with a dark red interior for 5 years. It still works great and has not stained my mandolin’s finish (sorry to hear about your experience Eric).

Is this basically the same case as the older ones that had an F5 outline on the outside top?

Have they gotten rid of the F5 embossing on the top? Good if they did.

Thanks for the excellent photo, sol.sombra. I'm trying to figure out if this case would fit my L&H, and it looks like it just might. With the neck support not extending all the way to the headstock a shorter neck should fit. I have had Bobelock fiberglass cases for my violin and viola for more than 10 years, plus a bow case. All have held up well—they're a little scuffed up, but the handle, hinges, and latches are like new, as is the velvet lining. The hygrometer, on the other hand, has never worked. My kid has flown with a viola in a Bobelock many times, both as carry-on and checked, and it's been fine.

Would anyone know if this case would fit a F2 or F4? Looks like it would.

Yes, F2 or F4 will fit.

Hopefully my 1955 F-12 will fit, that is what I wanted it for.

On my opinion, the Bobelock case is unnecessarily long, placing the accessory compartment above the peghead, rather than under the neck, as it is for most other cases. The extra length makes it harder to pack this case inside a car trunk, and VERY hard to pack into the overhead compartment of many (most?) aircraft. If you plan to travel a lot, I suspect you would be much better off with something like an Airloom case (The Mando Shop), a lightweight hard-foam case (e.g., Travelite or Gator), or better still, a flight case like a Calton or Hoffee. Just my two cents.
    Last edited by sblock; Aug-20-2021 at 7:23pm.

16. The following members say thank you to sblock for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by sblock View Post
    On my opinion, the Bobelock case is unnecessarily long, placing the accessory compartment above the peghead, rather than under the neck, as it is for most other cases. The extra length makes it harder to pack this case inside a car trunk, and VERY hard to pack into the overhead compartment of many (most?) aircraft. If you plan to travel a lot, I suspect you would be much better off with something like an Airloom case (The Mando Shop), a lightweight hard-foam case (e.g., Travelite or Gator), or better still, a flight case like a Calton or Hoffee. Just my two cents.
    Good points. My alternate argument would be if you have an instrument with a shorter neck, it still might be the better choice. None of my short necked instruments fit well in my Travelite. The neck doesn't extend far enough to clear the upper foam cushion.

Haven't tried the regular Airloom, but while both can fit in an Airloom Deluxe, it's also not ideal. But that's also the function of the instruments and not the case.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

I have two Arrow cases, and have found them very convenient. Living in an area where cold is an issue, I especially appreciate the added protection the case cover provides. My instruments are frequently transported in the band's van, and even when equipment does shift (as sometimes happens), I don't worry much about the mandos. Though, to be fair, we don't travel with the Dead's "Wall of Sound"

Make America Grateful Again!

2013 Collings MF, 2017 Northfield NF2S, 2019 Northfield Big Mon F
    1968 Martin D12-20, 2008 Martin HD28, 2022 Martin CEO 7
    1978 Ibanez Artist "Flying Eagle" Masterclone Banjo

Registered User E.R. Villalobos's Avatar

I can say from experience that the arrow case fits just fine in an airline overhead compartment and in the mini trunk of my car
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	83CCE32B-44D3-451C-B774-6B82368B6795.jpg 
Views:	175 
Size:	787.7 KB 
ID:	195895  

20. The following members say thank you to E.R. Villalobos for this post:

Have to make a correction - they might not be better for shorter neck instruments. At least if the body is smaller. The design has the pad resting on the tailpiece. Not sure if one had an older, smaller instrument if that would still be functional.

So, in this case, it may still be better to have a custom order Calton or Hoffee even if the cost of the case is much more than the instrument.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

Thanks to everyone, especially John for his in depth review. I located a smoking deal on the Bobelock Arrow fiberglass case by searching around the net. $186 shipped to me which was $118 cheaper than another source for the same case. I do not want to break any posting rules so PM me if you want more details. I have no financial interest besides trying to find the best deal. WooHoo!!

23. The following members say thank you to Steve Mead for this post:

Sorry for reviving an old thread......

Regarding the Ivory colored bobelock arrow case, I've seen pictures that it is more yellowed/off white and some that are near white. I just bought one of these in black and it fits my needs for my L&H, but need one more of another instrument. I want a white case. Is this white? I've tried the Crossrock and am not fond of it, but don't want to shell out $1250 for a Calton. If someone had an Eastman shaped case in white I'd buy that.....I have a silver one and those a great cases (for my needs).
    Mowry F-5 #37, 2013 Brian Dean "Roman" #85

I would contact the seller and ask if it is the color you want.

More information, when I was looking "Violin pros" had the best deal, 15% off coupon and free shipping. When I called them they were vert helpful.

Hi Steve - I contacted Violin Pros (where I got the black case) before initially getting the black case and asked about it and got several differing responses. Violin Pros is a division of Haggerty's music, so I think the rep may have been remote or an affiliate. She asked for a picture from their shipping department, but it wasn't very clear (stock image on reverb) so i thought I would bring it up here.

Yes, Violin Pros is where to get them from due to the 15% discount.
    Mowry F-5 #37, 2013 Brian Dean "Roman" #85

Highstrings, I have a bow case from Bobelock in the ivory. It's not bright white but is by no means yellow—warm white? It's about four years old so it may have changed, but not likely.

Glad to hear their cases fit your L&H!

If you're looking for an A model case, the Superior (= Saga) fiberglass case is pretty good and comes in white, I have one for my '83 Flatiron A5.

https://www.elderly.com/products/sup...-mandolin-case

It seems they don't make this for F models but maybe I just couldn't find it online.

Here's my ivory Bobalock Arrow case with a sheet of white paper lying on top. This was taken with a iPhone under 5000 kelvin temperature LED lights, and then color corrected using photoshop elements. YMMV (your monitor may vary), but this should show how close to white the ivory color is.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bobcase.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	105.0 KB 
ID:	207322

31. The following members say thank you to sunburst for this post: