Thread: Newbie found a mandolin

Default Newbie found a mandolin

Hello there

To start with introductions; my name is Peluca, I'm a 33 year old Dutchie living in Germany, and a couple of months ago I unexpectedly come into possession of a mandolin. Long story short, a neighbour wanted to throw it out but had just missed the garbage truck, they saw me looking curiously at them waving what looked like a small, fat guitar as I walked by, we got talking and in the end the mandolin came home with me. I know absolutely nothing about mandolins but always loved the look of them, and throwing it into the trash just seemed like a waste.

Due to some personal turmoil I hadn't really gotten around to looking into it and it just kind of sat in our apartment, waiting for a time when things would quiet down a bit - and it seems that time is now.

As I said before, my knowledge of mandolins in virtually non-existing, but if anyone could give me an idea of whether it is even in decent shape, that would be a great start. I'm trying to find a luthier to take it to as well, but any info would be more than welcome (My apologies for any blurry or messy pictures - unfortunately photography is not one of my gifts :P)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20210527-WA0000.jpeg 
Views:	167 
Size:	2.75 MB 
ID:	195950

Name:	IMG_20210824_171058.jpg 
Views:	179 
Size:	364.1 KB 
ID:	195951

Name:	IMG_20210824_171043.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	375.6 KB 
ID:	195952

Name:	IMG_20210824_171034.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	343.1 KB 
ID:	195953
    Last edited by Peluca; Aug-24-2021 at 10:45am. Reason: added photos

Default Re: Newbie found a mandolin

The action appears high and the joint where the neck meets the body needs close inspection. Getting a luthier to evaluate it in hand will give you more than guesses at a distance.

Meanwhile, congrats on getting a free mandolin!

Bowlbacks have their own fan club (you can find a lot of the members over at the classical portion of the cafe) and they can give you lots of information, including the history of instruments that resemble yours -- usually the more back slats the higher the quality, but that varies -- and can tell you whether it's worth getting your instrument fixed depending on what your luthier says it'll cost to repair it vs buying one new/used. but that's beside the point -- congrats on your introduction to the mandolin!

A mandolin is a chromatic instrument, so it plays single line melody tunes/songs in multiple scales. It also is an instrument that allows you to play multiple strings at once, so it plays chords. that means pretty much any kind of music is now at your finger tips: classical, folk, jazz, bluegrass, rock and roll and probably rap, since some people consider the mandolin as a percussion option. You can solo, you can sing and accompany yourself, you can play backup, you can play in concert with others. you can play it with a mask on. A truly versatile instrument!
    --------------------------------
    1920 Lyon & Healy bowlback
    1923 Gibson A-1 snakehead
    1952 Strad-o-lin
    1983 Giannini ABSM1 bandolim
    2009 Giannini GBSM3 bandolim
    2011 Eastman MD305

You appear to have a decent quality bowl-back, which may be fairly old. The marquetry pickguard and the slotted headstock suggest to me that it may be of German make, not surprising since that's where you found it.

Seems to be at least one separation between the ribs of the bowl, which is [A] not uncommon, and [2] not crucial. You can play the mandolin with daylight showing between a couple ribs, though in the long run you'd want to get them re-glued.

As Randi points out, your "action" (distance of the strings above the fretboard) looks really high, which would make the mandolin very difficult to play. I'd suggest that you immediately loosen its strings, and that you have it evaluated by a pro instrument tech. Common causes of too-high action are curvature of the neck and fretboard, deformation of the neck/body joint, or a too-high bridge. Bowl-backs should only be strung with extra-light strings, since they're more lightly built and braced than other contemporary types of mandolin, as a rule.

I'd also guess that your bridge is improperly placed. You've no doubt discovered that the bridge is "floating" -- not glued to the mandolin's top, held in place by string tension. You'll need to get the instrument properly set up, but the first priority is to figure out why the action's high, and correct it if possible.

Assume that the former owner didn't treat his mandolin with any particular care or respect. If you do better in that regard, and if the instrument can be properly set up, you might have a decent mandolin there.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Thank you so much for your responses and a lot of new info!

I had indeed noticed one of the ribs not fitting as seamlessly with the others; I assume that's the separation you mean? I'm glad to hear it's not something crucial and I don't have to rush a mortally wounded mando to a luthier

I've just loosened the strings and if I'm in luck I might be able to drop by a professional instrument maker today. Let's see what they can tell me and if there's anything to be done about the high action, the bridge and the rib separation and neck joint. I'll keep you all posted - again, thank you so much for the new info and helpful replies

Registered User Willi Bahrenberg's Avatar

Best of luck with your visit to the luthier! Might I take a wild guess that you live in the west of Germany, possibly in or near the ruhr area? In the 50s and 60s there was quite a big mandolin orchestra culture there. Sadly this kinda got lost in the following decades but on the german classifieds sites there are lots of ads for mandolins from that era.
    Guessing some of those attic finds make it to ebay-kleinanzeigen.de but many probably just are thrown away. Well done saving one of those poor doomed souls ;-)

Back from the luthier - it appears this little mandolin is indeed pretty decent and playable, and the separation between the ribs is not a problem at this time (though if it would become bigger or more pronounced I'd probably get it fixed). The problem with the high action turned out to be due to a too-high bridge; he was kind enough to fix it straight away. He also recommended the extra-light strings, which I will be looking into tonight
    So much to my relief, this little friend actually has a decent change at being playable :D

@Willi Bahrenberg - I had to google it for a bit (being relatively new to Germany and not very good at geography) but it appears I am living just outside the Ruhr area, in Wuppertal :P I had no idea mandolins had been so big around here - I guess I have some catching up to so :D
    And knowing that my mando probably isn't the only one being (nearly) thrown away, I am rather tempted to start a mando-orphanage, to be honest... ^_^'

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Peluca For This Useful Post:

Registered User Willi Bahrenberg's Avatar

Well if that ain't some good news! By looking at the pics I feared the setup job might cost more than the mandolin's worth.

And yeah, Wuppertal is just south of the ruhr area, so I'd give my guess a solid 9 outta 10

And about the mandolin orphanage: That would be the sweetest thing I ever heard of But if you really catch the mandolin bug there is Oliver Waitze's New Acoustic Gallery nearby which is THE place in our area for mid to high end bluegrass instruments. Prices are kinda steep though - I prefer buying used stuff. In case you need help in that regard or need some equipment tips feel free to contact me. I live in Düsseldorf, the neighboring city.
    Or you can always rely on the collective wisdom of the fine folks in the mandolin cafe

Quote Originally Posted by Peluca View Post
    Back from the luthier - it appears this little mandolin is indeed pretty decent and playable, and the separation between the ribs is not a problem at this time (though if it would become bigger or more pronounced I'd probably get it fixed). The problem with the high action turned out to be due to a too-high bridge; he was kind enough to fix it straight away. He also recommended the extra-light strings, which I will be looking into tonight
    So much to my relief, this little friend actually has a decent change at being playable :D
    I assume that the luthier put the bridge in the proper location probably about 6mm or so back toward the bend in the top. I agree to use lighter strings for sure however I am surprised the luthier did not advise to fix the rib separation in the bowl. It probably would be fairly easy to shoot a bit of glue in the separation and let let dry over night. I would advise you to have it fixed so it will play nicely and not implode. These old bowlbacks are built under tension and often do separate as your has but it should not be too big a deal to fix it now before it gets worse.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

He did move the bridge, yes - seeing as I know nothing and this guy a whole lot more, I trust him in what he does and the advise he gives. Which is not to say that I toss any concerns regarding the separation from anybody here to the wind, obviously, but with my barely existing knowledge I don't exactly feel confident in objecting. However, I do understand what you mean and I don't want to risk any damage if it can be prevented, so I might just go back and ask for the rib fix.

Send an email to the guy in this thread and he’ll send you a great, free book on mandolin setting up, lots of useful info.
    https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/t...hlight=meldrum
    Good luck!

It sounds like Peluca got a professional set up from a luthier. Yes, that set up book will help in the future but right now he/she needs to fix that rib separation.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Rib separation is an old bicycle inner tube and some DIY wood glue?
    -it might depend on the maximum retail value vs sentimental value of the resulting instrument.

It’s economic value here in France (if it played well) wouldn’t be more than maybe 150 euros, if that. (You can buy nice ones for 50). However sometimes it really is a joy to forgo economic considerations and bring the specific instrument back to life.

More info:
    thesession.org
    mandolintab.net
    Last edited by Simon DS; Aug-26-2021 at 1:58pm.