Thread: Flat Wound Strings

Default Flat Wound Strings

I have used flat wound strings on many instruments but never a mandolin. Anyone have some experience with them? I have always used the TI strings but they cost a bunch. I have seen the half flat ones, Are they somewhat comparable?

Default Re: Flat Wound Strings

Quote Originally Posted by peterbright View Post
    I have used flat wound strings on many instruments but never a mandolin. Anyone have some experience with them? I have always used the TI strings but they cost a bunch. I have seen the half flat ones, Are they somewhat comparable?
    I’ve used TI flat wound and D’ADDARIO flat tops in the past….of the two I prefer the flat tops. The flat wounds took off to much overtones from my mandolin, the flat tops are very comfortable, and gives a great tone for my bluegrass mandolining.
    Full disclosure, I use GHS Americanas as my preferred string.
    Last edited by MontanaMatt; Aug-13-2021 at 11:50pm.
    2007 Weber Custom Elite "old wood"
    2017 Ratliff R5 Custom #1148
    Several nice old Fiddles
    2007 Martin 000-15S 12 fret Auditorium-slot head
    Deering Classic Open Back
    Too many microphones

BridgerCreekBoys.com

3. The following members say thank you to MontanaMatt for this post:

look at these:

http://emando.com/shop/strings8_flatwound.htm

I'm experimenting with the mandola flatwounds now.
    You give up the roundwound sound for sure, but you get a lot of other things.
    The jury is out on this for me.

5. The following members say thank you to BoxCarJoe for this post:

I love the TI but I did have to change the pick I use to brighten them up just a touch.
    My avatar is of my OldWave Oval A

Creativity is just doing something wierd and finding out others like it.

7. The following members say thank you to John Bertotti for this post:

Playing on the porch

I really love the Thomastik Infeld mediums on my Eastman 515. Great sound, easy to play, worth the price.
    ---
    2021 Ellis F5 Special #564 mandolin
    1928 Roth violin
    2016 Eastman MD515 mandolin
    1907 Foltz violin

9. The following members say thank you to GMorgan for this post:

I have used TI mediums on my mandolin, mandola, and mandocello for many, many years.

I use starks it seems they are still less tension than the medium EJ74 set and even lighter than the EJ75.
    Last edited by John Bertotti; Aug-14-2021 at 6:04pm. Reason: add info

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by peterbright View Post
    ... I have seen the half flat ones, Are they somewhat comparable?
    I use the half-flat ones, D'Addario makes FlatTops which are basically round wound strings that are ground flat. I've used them for about 10 years now and like them a lot, once they're broken in (less brightness than round-wound phosphor-bronze strings).

TI's are on my list of "maybe someday" strings, but honestly I'm pretty happy with the FlatTops and will probably stick with them.

Note: D'A FlatTops come with a very fine (.015) wound 2nd course, and with the amount of playing I do the winding wears through in about a week. I routinely replace them with a plain string.
    -- Don

"Music: A minor auditory irritation occasionally characterized as pleasant."
    "It is a lot more fun to make music than it is to argue about it."

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    1975 Suzuki taterbug (plus many other noisemakers)
    [About how I tune my mandolins]
    [Our recent arrival]

13. The following members say thank you to dhergert for this post:

D'Addario has their EFW -74 string
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

15. The following members say thank you to mandroid for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by mandroid View Post
    D'Addario has their EFW -74 string
    That's my favorite

17. The following members say thank you to chasray for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by dhergert View Post
    I use the half-flat ones, D'Addario makes FlatTops which are basically round wound strings that are ground flat. I've used them for about 10 years now and like them a lot, once they're broken in (less brightness than round-wound phosphor-bronze strings).

TI's are on my list of "maybe someday" strings, but honestly I'm pretty happy with the FlatTops and will probably stick with them.

Note: D'A FlatTops come with a very fine (.015) wound 2nd course, and with the amount of playing I do the winding wears through in about a week. I routinely replace them with a plain string.
    That makes sense, I was baffled by your thread about sets lasting 7years…I enjoyed flattops, but blew through the wound a.
    2007 Weber Custom Elite "old wood"
    2017 Ratliff R5 Custom #1148
    Several nice old Fiddles
    2007 Martin 000-15S 12 fret Auditorium-slot head
    Deering Classic Open Back
    Too many microphones

BridgerCreekBoys.com

19. The following members say thank you to MontanaMatt for this post:

Almost a year ago I bit the bullet and got two sets of TI flats for a newly acquired Collings MTO. Must say they are exquisitely made. I was amazed to realize that the A was such a fine-wrappedcomposite, not a plain steel. The feel is great.
    11 months after installing the first set, I am still using it. Not breaking any strings in 11 months is a record for me. Of course my pub-band has been inactive and the usual round of devil-take-the-hindmost-tempo sessions has not been available. Still, pretty amazing.

My only problem is that I have been reluctant to get to the second set, with no broken ones, because I am so damn cheap it just goes against the grain to change them while they are all intact, although sonically I’m sure it will be an improvement. But they have been very consistent.
    I can see getting a couple of sets a year, but not for all my instruments, just the best—the others will have to make do with D’addario flats or good ol’ J74s.
    2009 Eastman 505
    2011 Collings MTO GT
    2008 Toyota Sienna
    2018 Sawchyn mandola

Mandoline or Mandolin: Similar to the lute, but much less artistically valuable....for people who wish to play simple music without much trouble —The Oxford Companion to Music

21. The following members say thank you to Bill Cameron for this post:

Going on 2.5 years with mine and I don’t notice any real lose in tone. Sounds great. So considering a big monthly string change I’m at about the same monthly cost as cheaper strings would run. And I know guys who change string more often that that!

23. The following members say thank you to John Bertotti for this post:

I own a Collings MT2-O that I bought used in 2018 that came with a set of D’Addario rounds on it. The D’Addario’s were tiny and harsh sounding and shortly after I got it I changed to the Thomastik-Infeld flats. The TI’s smoothed out the top end and my wife made multiple comments on how much better it sounded with the string change so I’ve been using them on it ever since. They’re expensive for mandolin strings but when comparing them to my wife’s cello strings they’re cheep.

25. The following members say thank you to 707erich for this post:

Agreed, they are the best.

27. The following members say thank you to Strabo for this post:

Have TI Mittel on my Peter Coombe. Really enjoy the tone and they are very easy to play. Have tried both TI and D'Addario FW in the past. I find the TI softer feeling, and with just maybe a hair less volume, but they last forever. On this instrument, volume is still really good. Eventually will probably try both the D'Addario FW and then TI Stark. But am in no rush to do that.

FWIW, tried the D'Addario FW on my Gibson A Jr. when I first got it and didn't like it at all. And I did write up at one point that the TI Starks were good on my Collings MT. Unfortunately, the larger band I'm in couldn't hear it as well. So they didn't last.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Flatiron 1N, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

I have developed a strong preference for the Flat Tops EFT-74 on my F holed mandolins (F-12 and A-5L) and Flat Wound EFW-74 on my oval hole (teens F-4). I have tried the TI mittels and starks on the F-4 but didn't like the muffled thuddyness of the sound and the bigger hit to my wallet. The EFW-74s are expensive compared to other D'Addario string pricing but are a bargain at only 1/3 of TI prices, and achieve nearly the same sound and feel of the TIs. Bravo D'Addario!!

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL

I use Fisoma Supersolo flatwounds. Here in Germany they are about half the price of Thomastiks (which I used to use until they became so insanely expensive). I would recommend them, but don't know how easily available they are in the USA.
    "Give me a mandolin and I'll play you rock 'n' roll" (Keith Moon)

Registered User Willi Bahrenberg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Polecat View Post
    I use Fisoma Supersolo flatwounds. Here in Germany they are about half the price of Thomastiks (which I used to use until they became so insanely expensive). I would recommend them, but don't know how easily available they are in the USA.
    Not to mention "Fisoma Supersolo" might be the most badass name for a mandolin string! That's the kind of name 10-year-old me would come up with for his mandolin strings

Playing on the porch

I do not find Thomastik Infeld too costly, but I am from the violin world. A good set of violin strings, such as Dominants, also from Thomastik Infeld, were selling at $73 when I called my local violin shop today. That is for a single G, a single D, a single A and a single E. A lot of pros play with Dominants. My preferred quality strings are over $100 for a set of four violin strings. However, I believe you really can get cleaner, purer sound from more expensive violin strings if you select carefully. I aspire for the same clarity of voice on the mandolin and, so far, the Thomastik Infeld M154, work well for me. And I get eight strings for much less than 4 for the violin.

Of course, I am still a bit of a mandolin neophyte and will keep hunting for the perfect strings and seeking the advice of those more experienced.

I hope you find your dream strings...
    ---
    2021 Ellis F5 Special #564 mandolin
    1928 Roth violin
    2016 Eastman MD515 mandolin
    1907 Foltz violin

33. The following members say thank you to GMorgan for this post:

My new Northfield is being shipped with the Dadderio flats and I ordered some TI's to try next.

35. The following members say thank you to peterbright for this post: