Thread: Carl C Anderson Flat Back 1899

Default Carl C Anderson Flat Back 1899

This was made in San Francisco and has made it twenty miles down the line to San Mateo and is in fairly poor condition. It's an early two point it seems and it might be an interesting project for somebody who wants an unique instrument. The seller is a realist- a rare thing on eBay these days!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/25510189649...ndition=4%7C10

Default Re: Carl C Anderson Flat Back 1899

Wow, that is one deep body! The workmanship looks good overall.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

Let's hope somebody can bring it back into good order.

That will take some work, but it does appear to be a cool, historic instrument. Hopefully someone can restore it.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

This is a very interesting mandolin. Great find!

Quite a few details in common with an unlabeled very deep draught 'boat back' mandolin that I have.

If the neck angle is good (and it doesn't appear to be too bad) the repairs here appear to be fairly straightforward.

I wonder how that extra depth effects the sound / tone?

I'll admit that it doesn't do much on my above-mentioned boatback.

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

Except for the shipping cost I’d go for it, just on the artistry! The pickguard even has some novelty. As for deep bodies, the Mexican designs are also deep, so the sound may be comparable - not something the bluegrass people might enjoy. I tuned one down to mandola and didn’t run out of bass. Beyond that, I don’t have the ear or the experience to say.

It's very attractive looking. If you could go pick it up in person, I think it would be totally worth it. Shipping is never an inexpensive proposition, though, and can be pretty risky besides.

Well, it went for cheap. Anyone get it here? The seller assured me that the shipping would be what it cost him. I considered bidding a bit more but then realized that ugh no bridge it looked like the action was low and there was damage around the neck area which means some serious work needed. So for another $350-500 possibly more I could have an interesting mandolin. OTOH I have way too many mandolins like that avd I should be selling not buying. I do look fwd to hearing if someone else his scored it.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Although it had many watchers, only two bids and I am surprised it went at such a low price. I did not bid as I do not have the skills to do the work and my luthier has not worked for a couple of years as he has health issues. It certainly is a rare old instrument and well worth repairing but like Jim, I have too many and other deserving cases that I hope may get done if my luthier resumes work some time in the future so adding more that are beyond my limited skills is a bit crazy.

You have to wonder what the person who actually won was willing to pay, though. The price could've jumped quick. I thought about it as well, as I don't have enough deserving cases and am always looking for a good excuse to visit my favorite luthier

That said, I'm very leery about shipping, never mind trying to practice restraint.