Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mic for onboard use

Default Re: Mic for onboard use

I did some digging and found this story. Although it’s sad, it paints a nice picture of who Ken Donnell is. I think this merits mention to the Cafe’ family.
    https://www.actionnewsnow.com/conten...575059001.html
    Monte

Northfield F2S
    Weber Yellowstone Octave F

2. The following members say thank you to Monte Barnett for this post:

Thanks so much for the update. It's great to know he's ok and in good health. I'm going to share this on the other page.

Billy
    Billy Packard
    Gilchrist A3, 1993
    Stiver Fern, 1990
    Weber Fern, 2007
    Gibson F4 Hybrid #1, D. Harvey 2009
    Gibson 1923 A2
    Numerous wonderful guitars

Today I ordered a Myers mic. I had a nice conversation with Greg Myers who inspired me to take the leap. I'll give a report once I've given it a try.

https://www.myerspickups.com

Billy
    Billy Packard
    Gilchrist A3, 1993
    Stiver Fern, 1990
    Weber Fern, 2007
    Gibson 1923 A2

5. The following members say thank you to Billy Packard for this post:

I use this one and im very satisfied: https://whatgear.com/p/shure-ksm137

7. The following members say thank you to resdoge for this post:

I also have a KM 137 and indeed like it very much. I have hearing issues that make it impossible to use when I'm playing solo. I have tinnitus in a high frequency range that is about 95 db all the time. That means I can't hear high freq. feedback when I use this mic. When I'm playing with Alexis we can dial it out because she hears it just fine.

What I'm hoping for with the Myers mic is that it won't be so sensitive. Previously with the MiniFlex it never had feedback problems. BUT it was mounted inside the mandolin which is probably why.
    Billy Packard
    Gilchrist A3, 1993
    Stiver Fern, 1990
    Weber Fern, 2007
    Gibson 1923 A2

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaMatt View Post
    I know many of the members tire of this referral, but Baggs radius through a Tonedexter is the ultimate plugged in mandolin solution. I just played a brew festival, on a loud pa with lots of stage volume, had zero worries of trouble, no feedback, great tone….ez-pz.
    It is a mic modeling system, so it takes time upfront to get the programming right, but once that’s done, plug and go at every show.
    Check out my signature line “too many microphones “, I love condenser mics, and have many nice ones, I even use one on stage for our central low instrument mic(used for step-in solo boost/presence). I could play through only mics if I wanted too, and have the rig(X32) and skills to engineer it in any setting. I love the tone and presence of the pickup and Tonedexter.
    How hard is it on your instrument finish? Look like people mount it with putty or double-sided tape. Is there an internal option like the K&K pure? I really like the K&K in my 000 but haven't tried anything with a mandolin. Have you compared them?
    My avatar is of my OldWave Oval A

Creativity is just doing something wierd and finding out others like it.

I have the Radius in my Weber Fern through a LR Baggs para acoustic pre amp. The Radius is mounted inside the mandolin with an endpin jack. I use it a lot because the mandolin has the best action but the sound is only so-so. I play through the Bose L1, model 2.

MandoMatt-do you think the Tonedexter would be an improvement over the para?
    Billy Packard
    Gilchrist A3, 1993
    Stiver Fern, 1990
    Weber Fern, 2007
    Gibson 1923 A2

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Packard View Post
    I have the Radius in my Weber Fern through a LR Baggs para acoustic pre amp. The Radius is mounted inside the mandolin with an endpin jack. I use it a lot because the mandolin has the best action but the sound is only so-so. I play through the Bose L1, model 2.

MandoMatt-do you think the Tonedexter would be an improvement over the para?
    Very much so. The tonedexter is wonderful after the learning curve and setup. The para is not wonderful
    2007 Weber Custom Elite "old wood"
    2017 Ratliff R5 Custom #1148
    Several nice old Fiddles
    2007 Martin 000-15S 12 fret Auditorium-slot head
    Deering Classic Open Back
    Too many microphones

BridgerCreekBoys.com

12. The following members say thank you to MontanaMatt for this post:

For many years I used the K&K In my Collings F5. After adding the ToneDexter it sounded incredible close to a miced mandolin - and I'm very critical about that, compared it to Schoeps and vintage Neumann microphones.
    I experienced exactly the same with my bandmate's Lebeda F5. He opted for a Baggs Radius which I installed. The Baggs can add some unpleasing low mids whoof, and again the Tonedexter did his magic on that combo.

14. The following members say thank you to mando-bob for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by mando-bob View Post
    For many years I used the K&K In my Collings F5. After adding the ToneDexter it sounded incredible close to a miced mandolin - and I'm very critical about that, compared it to Schoeps and vintage Neumann microphones.
    I experienced exactly the same with my bandmate's Lebeda F5. He opted for a Baggs Radius which I installed. The Baggs can add some unpleasing low mids whoof, and again the Tonedexter did his magic on that combo.
    Bob, have your used the new firmware update(2.06)? It is even better than before, I highly recommend the update. It gives you complete control of the feedback filtering layer, improves the mic image, and decreased the “learning session “ time. I use a single in ear monitor (a quad driver 64Ears custom) and at balanced volume, the acoustic ear (open)sounds the SAME as the “pick up/monitor” ear(transparently natural).
    I know that some of the members doubt the superiority of this Radius-ToneDexter combo, but I swear by it! And by swear, I mean full love, not cussing!
    2007 Weber Custom Elite "old wood"
    2017 Ratliff R5 Custom #1148
    Several nice old Fiddles
    2007 Martin 000-15S 12 fret Auditorium-slot head
    Deering Classic Open Back
    Too many microphones

BridgerCreekBoys.com

Matt and Bob, I'm intrigued.

But I have a very low level intuitive sense for those things electro-tech so the "learning curve and set up" is a kinda deal killer. I also have a very short tech-attention span. AND a verry short fuse!! For example, I got the Myers mic 4 days ago and still haven't tried it yet.

What I really love is the least amount of fuss, ie set-it-and-forget-it.
    Billy Packard
    Gilchrist A3, 1993
    Stiver Fern, 1990
    Weber Fern, 2007
    Gibson 1923 A2

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaMatt View Post
    Bob, have your used the new firmware update(2.06)? It is even better than before, I highly recommend the update. It gives you complete control of the feedback filtering layer, improves the mic image, and decreased the “learning session “ time. I use a single in ear monitor (a quad driver 64Ears custom) and at balanced volume, the acoustic ear (open)sounds the SAME as the “pick up/monitor” ear(transparently natural).
    I know that some of the members doubt the superiority of this Radius-ToneDexter combo, but I swear by it! And by swear, I mean full love, not cussing!
    Yes, I use the 2.06 update, it's simply amazing. When I used the original fkrmware I found myself a bit disappointed, missing the airiness of a real mic, especially in guitars. Great to know AudioSprockets are hardly working on improving.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Packard View Post
    Matt and Bob, I'm intrigued.

But I have a very low level intuitive sense for those things electro-tech so the "learning curve and set up" is a kinda deal killer. I also have a very short tech-attention span. AND a verry short fuse!! For example, I got the Myers mic 4 days ago and still haven't tried it yet.

What I really love is the least amount of fuss, ie set-it-and-forget-it.
    Billy, I totally understand. All my bandmates would never go my route and want to keep it simple. So a good clip-on mic is a great solution, no doubt. Let us know how you like your Myers-amplified sound. Believe it or not, I'm intrigued as well. The Myers looks like a great option.

This is a bit of relevant self-promotion, so just ignore me if you don't care.
    I live in India where most of the options listed here could cost 1.5x to 2x their listed price due to import costs and other markup.

I play the mandolin and viola, and with costs being what they are, I decided to build my own noise-rejecting phantom-powered piezo microphone unit (sound clips here). Primarily for the viola, but it worked out so well that I made it again for my mandolin, and am now trying to sell them.
    I've tested my piezo mic/preamp unit on mandolin, violin, viola, steel and nylon guitar, kalimba (!), cello, and bass.

The piezo mic itself is attached to the instrument, and you can use that with any other piezoelectric preamp if you like. (Mine is permanently mounted inside my instrument)
    But for best results, you would use it with my preamp and stereo cable.
    It's been specifically made to work as a matched unit; my preamp will not work with any other piezo transducers.

As for comparison to commercial offerings:

AKG C411 - I played an amplified orchestra gig on viola, where everyone else was given an AKG C411 condenser capsule stuck to their instrument. I feel justified in saying mine sounded just as good, if not better (obviously on stage I couldn't hear the main PA sound, but when testing on the monitors it sounded pretty comparable to my ears).

Fishman V200 - I compared sounds with a violinist friend who paid about $200 for his Fishman - but you still need to buy a preamp in addition, or it sounds almost as bad as a cheap piezo disc.

I was fooling around with the Myers mic (incorrectly called a pickup) and am very impressed with the accuracy and how realistic it sounds.

I bought the Feather clear and could not get it mounted well at all. After looking further on their web site I spotted the "The Grip/Clamp Micro Gooseneck" that uses an adjustable carpenters clamp which will be perfect. It is the same type clamp that holds the armrest on the mandolin.

I spoke with Greg Myers and he is going to send me one. He is passionate about his products and does everything possible to make things right.

Billy
    Billy Packard
    Gilchrist A3, 1993
    Stiver Fern, 1990
    Weber Fern, 2007
    Gibson 1923 A2