Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Always use a strap? Even when seated?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Always use a strap? Even when seated?

I always use a strap with mandolin, banjo and Dobro, standing or sitting. Part of the reason is my lower back does better if I do, and for the same reason I also tend to sit while playing whenever possible, especially with the heavier instruments like banjo and dobro.

But I don't think there's a firm rule. I think a person needs to try it both with a strap and without, and for that matter, both sitting and standing, and determine what works best for them and their instrument(s). And don't be too quick to judge other people about sitting; if you haven't had LBP yet, you probably will someday.

(I also never use a strap with my double bass, but I do play double bass sitting on a high stool whenever possible.)
    -- Don

"Music: A minor auditory irritation occasionally characterized as pleasant."
    "It is a lot more fun to make music than it is to argue about it."

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    1975 Suzuki taterbug (plus many other noisemakers)
    [About how I tune my mandolins]
    [Our recent arrival]

2. The following members say thank you to dhergert for this post:

small instrument, big fun Dan in NH's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Rieter View Post
    I've been thinking alot about this, because I am trying to work on speeding up my playing.
    My mandolin arrives tomorrow. I fully expect to spend the next six months practicing in front of a metronome. lol
    Eastman MD-514 (F body, Sitka & maple, oval hole)
    Klos Carbon Fiber (on order)

And still saving my nickels & dimes & bottle caps & breakfast cereal box tops for my lifetime mandolin.

I like a strap when sitting with mandolin, for consistency of position and to free up my left hand. Mine is just a simple length of 3/4“ leather with a loop of thong around the neck under the fingerboard extension. I feel I don't need one sitting with acoustic guitar, but a strap helps a lot with my cittern since it has a long neck and no waist.

My L&H doesn't have an endpin button, so I play that on my lap with a leg propped up on something. On my A5 I always use a strap, can't play without it. Johnny Young is another who played strapless while standing.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F401A930-4D3B-4979-95DF-B65CBA725CE4.jpeg 
Views:	38 
Size:	1.41 MB 
ID:	197127

Quote Originally Posted by dhergert View Post
    (I also never use a strap with my double bass, but I do play double bass sitting on a high stool whenever possible.)
    In about 15 years of stand up bass, I don't think I've ever seen a strap for it. Seems counter productive, as the bass will go where it wants, and take you with it! Seems like it'd be a case of you strapped to the bass, not the other way around.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnymac511 View Post
    In about 15 years of stand up bass, I don't think I've ever seen a strap for it. Seems counter productive, as the bass will go where it wants, and take you with it! Seems like it'd be a case of you strapped to the bass, not the other way around.
    Yes, sorry, I was being a little facetious about the strap, although the Bass Buggy is on my DB most of the time, so it does have that strap in place. I do sit whenever I can bring my portable high stool along, again, LBP. My back has to last me for a while longer.

I have seen people playing a DB guitar style, with a strap, but not serious, mostly for show.
    -- Don

"Music: A minor auditory irritation occasionally characterized as pleasant."
    "It is a lot more fun to make music than it is to argue about it."

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    1975 Suzuki taterbug (plus many other noisemakers)
    [About how I tune my mandolins]
    [Our recent arrival]

I just put a strap on my APC mandocello (bought very recently, 2 months ago), and it makes it far easier to move my left hand. I use the strap every time now. Of course, this is a big beast - 25 3/4 inch scale and 1 3/4 inch nut.

Quote Originally Posted by UsuallyPickin View Post
    What you want is your mandolin to be in the same place relative to your body sitting or standing. Using a strap makes this easier to achieve. R/
    +1 on the strap keeping your mandolin in the same position whether you're seated or standing. It eliminates any variables and makes it easier to focus on technique.

Quote Originally Posted by pops1 View Post
    You can do either, and be comfortable doing both. I like a strap and it's necessary for me when standing. Unless I am home sitting in a relaxed chair, I still use a strap sitting. It keeps my mandolin in the same place sitting or standing. That is important, especially if you are starting out.
    As a mandolin beginner, I find that using a strap all the time enables me to sit then stand up with no obvious adjustment to the playing position. Which means I have have a bad stance all of the time, of course...

11. The following members say thank you to maxr for this post:

Yes. Always. Just keeps things consistent and takes most unnecessary stress of the left hand/arm.
    Just one guy's opinion
    www.guitarfish.net

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dhergert View Post
    I don't think there's a firm rule. I think a person needs to try it both with a strap and without, and for that matter, both sitting and standing, and determine what works best for them and their instrument(s).
    It really is that simple.

Getting a new strap is an inexpensive way to cheer yourself up when you find a mandolin that you really really want at a price that requires dipping into the home equity line of credit.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Interestingly, after years of playing with the strap adjusted to the same length and slung over my head resting on the left shoulder I've recently found the position of the mandolin less comfortable when playing, so on a whim I lengthened the strap and now sling it over the right shoulder Bill Monroe style and the mandolin is in a much more comfortable ergonomic position for me.
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel