Thread: Strings For Mahogany Back Mandolins

Default Strings For Mahogany Back Mandolins

Beginner here. Just bought an Eastman gold top. LOVE it. Curious what strings everyone has liked or disliked on mahogany back mandolins. They have a sweet warm tone but could use a little punch. I would think 80/20 strings, as would work on a mahogany back guitar, but doesn’t seem to be a ton of love for 80/20’s on mandolins. Thnx.

Default Re: Strings For Mahogany Back Mandolins

You might try GHS pure nickel strings, I don't have a mahogany backed mandolin, but like these strings a lot.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

What do you like about them pops?

They make my mandolin sound great, much better than phosphor bronze, and they last a lot longer with the same tone without going dead.

I assume you don't like the sound of the strings that are on it? Are they PB? I am not a fan of PBs so I would also go for monel or D'Addario NBs (my favorite) but that is just my opinion. You say you want more punch but I am afraid that the mahogany might not give you that punch as would a maple backed mandolin. Then again, no problem trying out other strings, inciuding 80-20s, if you are so inclined.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

I had a mahogany back and sides mandolin (Weber Gallatin F) and loved it's sweet sound - as Jim mentioned above, not sure you'll have luck getting maple style punch out of it, but my vote would be for monels as I really like the combination of monels and mahogany.
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

7. The following members say thank you to Jill McAuley for this post:

Oh no I do like the PB’s. I guess I should clarify that rather than trying to make it sound like a maple back, I would just like to add a sprinkle of punch and volume to what I have, but I don’t feel lacking at all. Can you describe what NB’s sound like to you? On YouTube(the one video I found) they sound a tad quieter than PB’s. Is that your experience, Jim?

Can you expound on the marriage of monels and mahogany? I’ve played monels on guitar but never on mandolin.

I had a Mahogany Gibson A40,
    I don't remember being so worried about best strings ,
    I just got what I could buy in the music store.. usually bronze wound,,

buy a variety of strings various windings on G & D strings .. , change them, form an opinion.

writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Blog Entries

I have an all mahogany mandolin, back, sides, and top. I use EJ74s, because that is what I had, and I love the sound.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

I like the NBs on my mandolins and guitars. My first choice was Monels (Gibson Sam Bush at that time, no longer made) but now there are Martins and Curt Mangan and a few other brands. I liked the Monels: it was hard to describe but they seemed to allow the woodiness of the mandolin instead of adding the brash metallic tone of the PBs. When the NBs came out I felt they added a bit more warmth to the tone then the Monels. Pretty much that is all I use these days on all my carved top mandolins and cared and flattop guitars.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Quote Originally Posted by mandroid View Post
    I had a Mahogany Gibson A40,
    I don't remember being so worried about best strings ,
    I just got what I could buy in the music store.. usually bronze wound,,

buy a variety of strings various windings on G & D strings .. , change them, form an opinion.

Sound advice. Tone chasing is fun though. And inexpensive. Figuratively.

My band mate uses 80/20 on his mandolins. He prefers that sound. No reason not to try them on your gold top.

Otherwise will join the chorus and say try monel and see how they sound.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

Precisely. I ordered a set of CM monels. I will try out a few other sets. More than likely, I will eventually circle back to good ole’ Dadds. I always do.

I really liked the Straight Up Strings when I had an older Weber Bitterroot with mahogany back and sides. Gave it a bit more presence than the EJ74's. That mando also benefitted greatly from a ToneGard, so that's something else you might want to try.
    "Keep your hat on, we may end up miles from here..." - Kurt Vonnegut

Put on some CM monels yesterday. Whew boy I hope they play in better than they sound new. Thin and lifeless out of the pack. I know on guitars, monels have an insanely long break in time. I hope it’s the case on mandolins as well.

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

It always depends on three things. Your instrument and your taste in tone and feel. Start with the different available alloys. Then try the favored from different manufacturers. Then try the different gauges if they are available. Enjoy your search. D'Addario and Curt Magnan are two reputable string manufacturers. Check out what is available on the Just Strings website http://Juststrings.com R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

Very sound advice. I would like to try Elixers, 80/20’s, and Dadd’ NB’s and maybe that will be enough to decide what the instrument loves. Ultimately, it’s really the choice of the mandolin, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Parmejohn View Post
    Very sound advice. I would like to try Elixers, 80/20’s, and Dadd’ NB’s and maybe that will be enough to decide what the instrument loves. Ultimately, it’s really the choice of the mandolin, right?
    I would say the mandolin will be comfortable with many types of strings, ultimately it is the choice of your ear.

Touché pops. After a day of stretching em, I’m sure loving the CM monels.

It might also be your expectations, not used to Monels. I sort of feel like PBs add their own sound on top of the sound of the actual instrument whereas Monels and NBs are a bit more subtle.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

I would have to agree.