Thread: 1987 Gibson F5L

Default 1987 Gibson F5L

Hi there folks-
    I'm in the market and this looks like a beauty. I know I need to find a way to play it. But before I do, I'm wondering what else I should be looking for in these F5Ls? The color looks lighter than most, which I dig, but was that common then? The original tailpiece is missing too. Just want to be sure that I'm actually looking at a Carlson F5L as it says in on the label.
    I'd love to hear thoughts! Here is the website where it's being sold and I'll try to attach a photo here too.
    https://folkwaymusic.com/instrumentDetail/?id=4149
    Thanks
    TM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1987 Gibson F5L.png 
Views:	166 
Size:	1.07 MB 
ID:	196012

Default Re: 1987 Gibson F5L

Looks great. I owned two of these Carlson signed Gibson F5L's in the past. Both were great sounding mandolins!

I hope you get to buy that mandolin!

Thanks MandoMan! Its great to hear that there are some great sounding one's out there!

I have never played a bad sounding mandolin with Steve Carlson's signature on the label. That F5L looks beautiful.

Carlson signed Gibson and Flatiron mandolins are always in demand and their value will continue to rise.

Those are great mandolins. I've had a Carlson F5L and still have a Carlson A5L. If Folkway Music says it's a Carlson, it's a Carlson. They're a very reputable shop, and I see the price has been reduced from 8 to 6700. As long as you're shopping in Canada, there's another one at Myhre's Music in Edmonton. It's still listed at 8k, but I saw it recently on Reverb, reduced, to 6 I think. It's worth giving them a call too. Byron Myhre is really good to deal with. Also, Michael MacLeod at Acousticguitar.net in Calgary had one.

Quote Originally Posted by tmerritt View Post
    Thanks MandoMan! Its great to hear that there are some great sounding one's out there!
    Yes sir you are welcome! You won't go wrong with that mandolin.

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

Indeed . I had an 88' and it was a fine playing and sounding instrument. My son has it now. R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

Quote Originally Posted by tmerritt View Post
    Hi there folks-
    I'm in the market and this looks like a beauty. I know I need to find a way to play it. But before I do, I'm wondering what else I should be looking for in these F5Ls? The color looks lighter than most, which I dig, but was that common then? The original tailpiece is missing too. Just want to be sure that I'm actually looking at a Carlson F5L as it says in on the label.
    I'd love to hear thoughts! Here is the website where it's being sold and I'll try to attach a photo here too.
    https://folkwaymusic.com/instrumentDetail/?id=4149
    Thanks
    TM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1987 Gibson F5L.png 
Views:	166 
Size:	1.07 MB 
ID:	196012
    The back on mandolin in insane! Wow

Hi folks- thanks so much for the responses! Super helpful!!!

The "ice tea" sunburst seems to be more common on Carlson signed mandolins, both Flatirons and Gibsons. I think it's very attractive personally. I recently acquired a Carlson signed Gibson A-5L with a beautiful cremona burst, much darker but equally gorgeous. I guess you could call it "ice coffee" sunburst. BTW - you should snap up that F5-L quickly before someone else beats you to it. Best of luck!!

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL

I agree with Len - if I were in the market for a new mandolin, I would snap that up in a moment's notice. The back is psychedelic! And these instruments almost always sound great.

I'm certainly considering it. I'm in Charleston South Carolina, so buying it before playing it has me a bit knotted up .

This purchase is a no brainer decision. If you have the funds, just buy it. Nuff said...

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL

That looks to be in spectacular condition for its age.

The price is about $700-1000 "on the high side" to me, but the condition may have something to do with it.

These will play and sound a little differently than Gibsons from around 2001/2002 and later. Not bad -- just slightly different.
    Nothing wrong with that.

J.- that's kinda what I've been thinking too. Seems most of these go for around $6k or less. It does look to be in amazing condition and the fingerboard has been scooped, which I prefer.

One just hit the classifieds. NFI. https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/175522#175522
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

Do as you will; BUT I will add I’ve been saving up for this one as its a few minutes from me, and mandolin are extremely hard to come by in Canada. Being able to play before and avoid import fees/ duties is really appealing.
    Maybe I’ll just go in soon and hold it so it’s not the one that got away!

Burtch- I hear you! Certainly don't wait on me- I hope you get it and that is amazing! Keep us posted!

I’m going to retract my previous comment. In fact if I get there this week I can offer to take a video of it for you!