Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Do You Baby Your Mandolin?

Default Re: Do You Baby Your Mandolin?

I don't try to baby them, but do take some care. One mandolin is usually out on a wall hanger. Right now it's the Coombe. Come winter, when humidity drops, it will probably be the Strad-O-Lin that's out.

My biggest worry is having an instrument press up against me when it's very humid out. Have ruined a couple of guitars over the years that way. Have been using Tone-Gards for that reason on my mandolins, but both the Coombe and SOL are too narrow for them to work. Will have to figure out something else. A towel between me and the instrument for summer gigs if nothing else.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

Well, baby is quite a strong word.
    I wouldn’t take a baby fishing, but I‘d certainly take a mandolin with me.

I keep my octave hanging near the kitchen, it gets an extremely fine layer of warm, fragrant hazelnut cooking oil as a protective coat and smells of veggie curry.
    I can play at least three jigs while the rice simmers.
    Yep, good food and mediocre music.

Guilty! Wipe down after play humidify room as well as case. All look brand new.....
    Thanks

Several mandolins of varying quality-any one of which deserves a better player than I am.......

Several got Re-frets ..

You want to sign up, in advance, for my Estate Sale?
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mandroid For This Useful Post:

The mandolins played most have the most wear. Especially the main performance instrument, Distressed naturally!
    Play em like you know em!

Quote Originally Posted by pops1 View Post
    John, here the humidity in the summer can get 100% and regularly is in the 70's-80's. Winter it dries out with heat and can get in the 20's or lower if you don't humidify. I dehumidify in the summer some, to try to keep it under 70% in the house, but that's not always possible. Gigs on the river, and outside gigs, can get quite humid. In all the years I haven't had a problem with any of my instruments. I wouldn't worry about 57%.
    Outside is same as your’s, my house is so dry it takes most of the summer to get back up to 57, towards the end it will be higher but outside will be much higher. My point was the swings kill instruments and dry just requires to many adjustments so I just keep it in the case. Case humidified in the winter and no need in the summer.
    My avatar is of my OldWave Oval A

Creativity is just doing something wierd and finding out others like it.

I do keep mine in the case when not playing, with a humidifier of some sort. It’s dry in Phoenix, AZ.

Quote Originally Posted by Parmejohn View Post
    Do you try and keep your mandolin pristine and keep it in the case whenever you aren’t playing or do you leave it out and treat it like a tool and not worry about chips and dings so much?
    Absolutely. And I not only baby my coffee mug (by cleaning it after use) but also my tools (such as knives and chisels) by keeping them clean and sharp. Hope that helps.

Treat my instruments -- not just mandolins -- with some care, and always case them (or, for my frequently-used gigging instruments, gig-bag them) when not actually playing 'em. But they're far from "babied"; they get lotsa hard use, and show it. Fret wear, finish wear, dings, repairs -- they show the scars of being taken out of the house, thrown in a car, set up somewhere and played.

Some have had water damage, from a years-ago basement incursion. Some have been knocked over out on a gig; others have been through car accidents. A few have flown in airline luggage bays, or have smacked into mic stands. One ukulele survived the collapse of a folding stool; another didn't (separate incidents -- I got a much sturdier stool since).

Depends, really, on what you want to do with your instruments -- enjoy them and preserve them, or take them out and work with them. I'm closer to the second than the first, and my instruments show it.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Oval holes are cool David Lewis's Avatar

Mine stay on stands. I wipe them down after use, and I try to not knock them round. While I love looking at worn instruments, for some reason I don’t want one.
    JBovier ELS; Epiphone MM-50 VN; Epiphone MM-40L; Gretsch New Yorker G9310; Washburn M1SDLB;

Fender Nashville Deluxe Telecaster; Squier Modified Vintage Cabronita Telecaster; Gretsch 5420T; Fender Tim Armstrong Hellcat: Washburn Banjo B9; Ibanez RB 5string; Ibanez RB 4 string bass

Pedalboard for ELS: Morley Cry baby Miniwah - Tuner - EHX Soul Food Overdrive - EHX Memory Toy analog Delay
    Fender Blues Jr Tweed; Fender Greta;

Mandolin & Mandola maker

Mine are always cased, and they get looked after. Always wiped down after playing if the weather or the session or gig environment is hot. I know how much work goes into each one, especially the finish work which takes a lot of hours. I made it so it gets extra care.
    Peter Coombe - mandolins, mandolas and guitars
    http://www.petercoombe.com

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to peter.coombe For This Useful Post:

Registered User Charlie Bernstein's Avatar

No. My cars and instruments are almost always care-free beaters. There are plenty of other things I'd rather worry about.

Registered User Charlie Bernstein's Avatar

PS -

My mando was a basket case when I bought it. Other than fire, there's not much that can happen to it that hasn't already.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Bernstein View Post
    PS -

My mando was a basket case when I bought it. Other than fire, there's not much that can happen to it that hasn't already.
    Charlie are you able to post a photo of it? I’m curious.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Bernstein View Post
    Same here, bought quite the 'player' of an instrument with every scratch and ding pre-loaded for the road. That Weber has served me well for almost 20-years now, while the more recently acquired Collings might just stay at home for house jams and personal practice.

I have an inexpensive Loar that I keep on a stand in my living room, but I keep the Gibson in the case unless I'm using it. I live in the south and the summertime humidity is brutal.
    Randy Mallory
    2020 Gibson Custom Shop F5 MSC Wide Nut (2020) David Harvey
    2022 Eastman MD515
    2022 Northfield NFO-AT1 Octave Mandolin
    and a few more....

I keep the all the instruments in their cases with a wall hygrometer and a room humidifier next to them.

I use em all everywhere I play though...even pubs and renaissance festivals. I don't like the look of pinky rash but other than that I kinda like a worn mandolin. That said I was kinda bummed when I changed strings on my Girouard and found a couple marks in the varnish.

I don't know. There's also something sad about a 20 year old high quality musical instrument in pristine shape. No scars, no stories!
    Girouard Concert A5
    Girouard Custom A4
    Nordwall Cittern
    Barbi Mandola
    Crump OM-1s Octave
    www.singletonstreet.com

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chuck Leyda For This Useful Post:

It’s my axe and I play it,but I’m not reckless with it. Some marring where I place my forearm and some rubbing on the sides of the neck ,that’s about it.when not in use though,always in the case.I’m not worried about humidity ,I take it out and play it at least once a day,so whatever happens,happens.I never hand it over to anyone as I’ve seen to many instruments and other items go right through peoples hands..

Yes....

As all of the people that know me will attest to, I am particular about who I even let play mine.
    In fact, they have their own bed...
    ManjoMan

Quote Originally Posted by Parmejohn View Post
    Do you try and keep your mandolin pristine and keep it in the case whenever you aren’t playing or do you leave it out and treat it like a tool and not worry about chips and dings so much?
    I definitely baby my Gibson F9; it is only out of the case when I am playing it. When I am finished, it goes back in the case. On the other hand, my Epiphone MM-30 stays out and on the stand whenever I am not playing it. As for my Weber Gallatin, I pretty much keep it in the case when I am not playing it, though occasionally I will leave it out on a stand for maybe a few hours, but it gets tucked in its case at night. I haven't really been playing my Mike Bruhn double-point mando, so it pretty much lives in its case. So, I guess the short answer to your question is: It depends!!
    Old Dog Dave: Do the best you can, as long as you can, and all the rest is gravy.

1918 Gibson A Oval hole
    2004 Gibson F9
    2004 Gibson A9
    Weber Gallatin A
    Bruhn double-point
    The Epiphone MM-30
    Dillion Electric (Rickenbacker style)

I know that this is blasphemy to many of you but I wouldn’t mind to see my Eastman gold top with finish cracks all over the top. I won’t purposefully do anything to cause it, but being a vintage guitar lover, I think nitro checking is gorgeous, as well as worn spots in finish and ambered lacquer. I’ve read that Eastman doesn’t use many plasticizers in their lacquer. I hope that proves true.

I play them, keep em pretty clean, all working perfectly, and yes I baby the hell out of them. I love them.

“They don’t get pampered but they are respected.”

That sums it up for me. Several good mandolins - 2 Givens, 2 Gibsons, etc. - out on stands and ready to play. All came to me used so I don’t have to sweat that first ding or scratch.

Kirk

Quote Originally Posted by Simon DS View Post
    Well, baby is quite a strong word.
    I wouldn’t take a baby fishing, but I‘d certainly take a mandolin with me.

How does that work? Do you mount the reel to the bridge and run the line over the neck? I would imagine for larger fish you'd want a guitar or bass

28. The following members say thank you to DaveGinNJ for this post:

I did with a Santa Cruz DPW I had. Though it helped when I sold it, in retrospect, I didn't enjoy it as much as I might have were I not always concerned about dings. I take care of my instruments but I have them to play them so wear is expected. I'm blessed with stable humidity so I keep them on the wall for easy access. I do have to make sure they're above dacshund height but that's more of an issue with guitars
    2020 Northfield Big Mon
    2016 Skip Kelley A5
    2011 Weber Gallatin A20
    2021 Northfield Flattop Octave Mandolin
    2019 Pono Flattop Octave
    Richard Beard Celtic Flattop
    And a few electrics