Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do You Baby Your Mandolin?

Default Do You Baby Your Mandolin?

Do you try and keep your mandolin pristine and keep it in the case whenever you aren’t playing or do you leave it out and treat it like a tool and not worry about chips and dings so much?

Default Re: Do You Baby Your Mandolin?

I play it like I mean it but mostly
    Keep it on its case, don’t post a finger and pay attention to picking so I don’t hit the top. It goes on trips with me but I would say I baby it the best I can.
    My avatar is of my OldWave Oval A

Creativity is just doing something wierd and finding out others like it.

Even tho I try to be careful, they always seem to get little marks on it. Fortunately, my favorite had some visible tool marks that blend right in with daily use. Your question is another reason to buy pre-owned instruments!

4. The following members say thank you to dan in va for this post:

Neither of my mandolins are high end (J Bovier F-style and Kentucky 250) so they are always on their stand ready to play. If I travel I take the Kentucky. If I owned a higher end instrument I might treat that differently

I rarely keep any instruments in their cases. I like to have them out and easy to grab. But then I've never spent over a grand on any instrument. If I ever got something worth over 1500 or so I'd probably be more careful. Something that sort of dissuades me from buying a higher-end instrument is that I think I'd worry too much about damaging it and not really put it through its paces.

I keep my 1924 Gibson Snakehead a Junior in the case when I am not playing it. Also have a dehumidifier to keep the humidity from getting too high.

So yes I baby my mandolin.

I treat them like tools, and return them to their respective home so it’ll be easy to find when I need them again. They get maintained as needed.

They don’t get pampered but they are respected.
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bill McCall For This Useful Post:

I have that humidity issues two thirds or more of the year. Over winter which is long here my house humidity will be down in the teens for the low average around 27 and upwards 57 in the summer. So in the case to better control my humidity. If it wasn’t for that mine would be out more.
    My avatar is of my OldWave Oval A

Creativity is just doing something wierd and finding out others like it.

When I'm not playing them (any of my instruments - mandolins, guitars, banjos, fiddles) they are in a case. I don't own any that would be considered high end but still I've spent good money on them so why risk having them damaged when it only takes a few seconds to put it in it's case. I don't consider that babying, just protecting my investment. I've heard enough horror stories about instruments getting damaged while sitting around and getting knocked over, sat on, etc. When I'm playing them I don't worry about a minor ding or two. Things happen. But why not protect it when it only takes a few moments to put it in a case.
    Ratliff R5 2007, Capek A5 2003, Washburn M5S-SB Jethro Burns 1982, Mid-Mo M-2, Epiphone MM 30 Bk mandolins, Harmony Batwing 1970's, George Bauer bowlback early 1900's Philadelphia.

"Don't cloud the issue with facts!" Groucho Marx

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gnann View Post
    When I'm not playing them (any of my instruments - mandolins, guitars, banjos, fiddles) they are in a case. I don't own any that would be considered high end but still I've spent good money on them so why risk having them damaged when it only takes a few seconds to put it in it's case. I don't consider that babying, just protecting my investment. I've heard enough horror stories about instruments getting damaged while sitting around and getting knocked over, sat on, etc. When I'm playing them I don't worry about a minor ding or two. Things happen. But why not protect it when it only takes a few moments to put it in a case.
    Very good points. How do you like your Jethro Burns Washburn?

I take care of them, but my gigging mandolin, my most expensive, shows lots of wear. It is a great mandolin and I can't think of gigging without it, but doing so in environments not so friendly to instruments has gotten many marks. Plays well, sounds great, that is the most important thing for me. Looks not so much. My other mandolins don't show the wear, but there are thousands of hours difference in playing time so there you go.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

My Eastman sits either on a stand or in the case depending whether I’ve played it last away or at the house…it gets played every day, carried in the truck to the brewery frequently, and lovingly abused. The BRW lives in the case and gets played about once a week.

Playing on the porch

I respect what my instruments can do for me. I always put them in their case when not actively being played. They have a few dings, but look great, play well (when I am on a roll) and make me happy. Well loved instruments will reward you.
    ---
    2021 Ellis F5 Special #564 mandolin
    1928 Roth violin
    2016 Eastman MD515 mandolin
    1907 Foltz violin

Whenever I've got a new or new to me mandolin I start out with good intentions to mother it, this lasts about a week, I have a bit of Bill's attitude that it's a tool to be used.

Dave H
    Eastman 615 mandola
    2011 Weber Bitteroot A5
    2012 Weber Bitteroot F5
    Eastman MD 915V
    Gibson F9
    2016 Capek ' Bob ' standard scale tenor banjo
    Ibanez Artist 5 string
    2001 Paul Shippey oval hole

Registered User Willi Bahrenberg's Avatar

I treat my mandolins like I treated my actual babies: At first I try to keep em as pristine as possible, but after about the third time of them falling out of the bed / from the sofa or smashing their head(stock) against the doorframe, I go "meh, whatever..." - except from the one I'm planing to sell, of course!

Registered User Willi Bahrenberg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Willi Bahrenberg View Post
    - except from the one I'm planing to sell, of course!
    The mandolin, not the baby, I'd like to clarify!

Baby? Couldn’t eat a whole one!

I generally keep them in the cases, and try to keep them in good shape, but my internal oaf often undermines that intention.

D.H.

I don't mind honest wear from playing it regularly on an instrument, but I do always keep all my instruments in their cases - I have an enthusiastic Beagle, flagstone floors and live in a 150+ year old cottage with swings in humidity so the case is the safest place for my instruments when I'm not playing them.
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

22. The following members say thank you to Jill McAuley for this post:

Resident Hack

I try to keep all my instruments in cases for protection but my main mandolin has been out (Hercules wall mount) all summer. I did ding it once and I do gig with it regularly, so some wear was going to happen. As much as I want to keep it pristine, I also want to play it, look at it, appreciate it.

That's not to say I don't clean/polish every week. I did case it up and hide it the week I was on vacation (brought the travel mando). It's still the most beautiful object I own but I didn't buy it to make it a museum piece.

It is as much my baby as my babies but I did ding them a few times too.
    What I play
    2021 Skip Kelley Two-Point
    Eastwood 'Ricky'
    Morgan Monroe RT-1E
    Epiphone Genesis guitars
    Various Basses

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

If an instrument of mine isn't in my hands or those of a good friend it is in it's case. I take care of them and the first scratch on a brand new one always hurts a bit. I even apologize to them when I bump them accidently. But as pointed out above they are tools. R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Which mandolin?

My 1924 Gibson snakehead came to me full grown and, approaching its hundredth birthday, arrived with signs of age and use. I try to protect its dignity by not deliberately exposing it to risk, but neither do I insult it by treating it as a child. It has seniority to me, after all.

The mandolins that I had custom built or purchased (nearly) new I do tend to baby. Like the parent I am, I feel like I have delivered them into the world and am responsible for their well-being. They’ve been entrusted to my care, and I’d hate to be negligent. Every first mark — a pinprick on the back of my Black A2-z from a stand, a dulling on the neck of my Poe Scout from its case, a peck on the top of my Hogan from a broken string — I have mourned like a lost tooth or a skinned knee.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

Hi Mandoman. My Jethro Burns Washburn is a M5S-SB s/n 824691. Imported from Japan early 1980s. As with many imports of this era it has a kinda heavy gloss finish that hinders the volume. But the tone is really nice and well balanced. And the neck / playability is really as good as most other instruments I've played, including some high end brands. As noted in other discussions be aware that the Washburn brand name has been sold and resold and the quality of the product can vary greatly depending on where production takes place. The Japanese made instruments (I also have a Washburn guitar from that era) are a great value if you can find one.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20210828_093107.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	1.17 MB 
ID:	196024
    Ratliff R5 2007, Capek A5 2003, Washburn M5S-SB Jethro Burns 1982, Mid-Mo M-2, Epiphone MM 30 Bk mandolins, Harmony Batwing 1970's, George Bauer bowlback early 1900's Philadelphia.

"Don't cloud the issue with facts!" Groucho Marx

Quote Originally Posted by John Bertotti View Post
    I have that humidity issues two thirds or more of the year. Over winter which is long here my house humidity will be down in the teens for the low average around 27 and upwards 57 in the summer. So in the case to better control my humidity. If it wasn’t for that mine would be out more.
    John, here the humidity in the summer can get 100% and regularly is in the 70's-80's. Winter it dries out with heat and can get in the 20's or lower if you don't humidify. I dehumidify in the summer some, to try to keep it under 70% in the house, but that's not always possible. Gigs on the river, and outside gigs, can get quite humid. In all the years I haven't had a problem with any of my instruments. I wouldn't worry about 57%.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pops1 For This Useful Post:

I don't baby any of my instruments (IMO), nor am I hard on them. I have worked as a power plant operator for the past 40 years, and have a certain approach/attitude/touch when it comes to using tools, machinery and musical instruments. I'm sure we all know some ham-fisted folks who would find a way to break a bowling ball as well.

I had my trusty Toyota pickup for over 30 years/near 300k miles (then sold it in the pursuit of domestic tranquility). I've had the same 1985 Harley as my daily rider which I bought new. Never had to pull the heads or do any major maintenance.

I've got my grandpa's 1880's violin, a couple vintage mandolins from the 30's, newer instruments from the 70's, a couple custom built 10 stringers....these all get played out of the house and many go camping with me. They also hang on the wall in my insulated, temperature and humidity controlled basement music room.

If you have the right habits and mindset, you can take your instruments anywhere without damage. If you have the "wrong" outlook, they're not safe at home in their cases.

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mandobart For This Useful Post: