Thread: Octave Mandolin nut and bridge spacing

Default Octave Mandolin nut and bridge spacing

I'm new to the mandolin world. I repair/restore vintage tenor banjos for Irish playing. I recently picked up a used octave mandolin, built in the US. I would like to know if there is a recommended width between the strings at the nut and the bridge. I believe the closer together courses are the easier to fret them. But, do they need a minimum distance per string gauge as to prevent them from hitting each other during the vibrations? The same question applies at the bridge, but my concern is the time it takes for the pick to go across the course. Please feel free to educate a newbie. I did use the search but came up with nada. Thanks.

Default Re: Octave Mandolin nut and bridge spacing

I know nothing about octaves, but... I ran "octave spacing" in the CBOM search forum and got a few entries. Here's one with some genuine luthiers contributing.

benny

You may find this useful. Scroll down to the diagrams and download the second one. You can then use the spacing for whatever nut or bridge size you choose. It worked well for me. https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/t...t-slot-spacing

Thanks for the help. I figured out how to use the search feature properly and now see many threads.