Thread: "Anileda," by Stellario Cambria and ...?

Default "Anileda," by Stellario Cambria and ...?

I have just come across a cache of mandolin sheet music, some dating circa 1915. I have no idea how much "good stuff" is in here, but sitting right on top is an arrangement of Tschaikowsky's "Chanson Triste" for guitar and mandolin (incomplete, but the missing parts might be buried somewhere).

The next item, from approximately the same date, is "Anileda," by Stellario Cambria, according to the cover an "Original Composition for the Mandolin." This is complete. The great aunt of the person I received this collection from was a professional mandolin player in New York during the early 1920's. It is quite possible that she actually took lessons from Cambria.

These are mostly old, crumbly manuscripts. My wife has "restored" worse stuff to useable digital images. It's going to take me a LONG time to catalog this stuff, but, if this is any indication, it will be worth it

Would anyone be interested in usable digital images of the sheet music? I should have "Anileda" ready in a few days.
    Eastman 915 B Mando
    Eastman MD-314 Mando
    Eastman MD-524 Mando
    Godin A-8 Mando
    Eastman MDO305 OM
    Eastman ER1 Mando
    TC Bouzouki TM375 Zook
    Eastman MDC-804 'Cello
    Eastman E60M
    Epiphone "Hummingbird"

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to meow-n-dolin For This Useful Post:

Default Re: "Anileda," by Stellario Cambria and ...?

Sheri Mignano Crawford has a very large collection of Italian sheet music, scans of which she has made available. Check out this thread:

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/t...io-sheet-music

Hopefully, she'll see this post.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to frankie For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by frankie View Post
    Sheri Mignano Crawford has a very large collection of Italian sheet music, scans of which she has made available. Check out this thread:

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/t...io-sheet-music

Hopefully, she'll see this post.
    Thanks much, Frankie.

I don't play much Italian mandolin music, or classical, but I know there are a lot of people who do. There are also some arrangements of popular songs from the twenties and perhaps into the early thirties. These may be of more historical or novelty interest, but hey, someone might like to see them.

Again, thanks for the response!
    Eastman 915 B Mando
    Eastman MD-314 Mando
    Eastman MD-524 Mando
    Godin A-8 Mando
    Eastman MDO305 OM
    Eastman ER1 Mando
    TC Bouzouki TM375 Zook
    Eastman MDC-804 'Cello
    Eastman E60M
    Epiphone "Hummingbird"

Incredible, the discovery of old scores of mandolin music is always fantastic ...

I am sure that here many with more knowledge than me will be able to advise you better, but if you consider that it is a lot of work to digitize and catalog this material, surely there will be a university interested in helping you or the Classical Mandolin Society of America.

Anileda by Stellario Cambria is in the Nakano collection, but it would be interesting to compare the version you own with the Nakano one ...
    Music washes away from the soul the dust of every-day life. Auerbach.
    The rejection of 'the others' is a tragedy of the human being; If it comes from emigrants, an added horror!

Quote Originally Posted by Jairo Ramos Parra View Post

I am sure that here many with more knowledge than me will be able to advise you better, but if you consider that it is a lot of work to digitize and catalog this material, surely there will be a university interested in helping you or the Classical Mandolin Society of America.:
    Thank you for the information re those groups. I will actually enjoy the cataloging and digitization. But, perhaps they will be interested in the originals once I am done with them. They might also be able to find some of the missing pages as well, For instance: I have one score which is for four mandolins. and I only have the score for the 1st mandolin.

I might keep one or two of the originals-- they might look nice next to my 1887 edition of Paradise Lost, illustrated by Dore, which I purchased for $30 at a thrift store

Again, thanks!
    Eastman 915 B Mando
    Eastman MD-314 Mando
    Eastman MD-524 Mando
    Godin A-8 Mando
    Eastman MDO305 OM
    Eastman ER1 Mando
    TC Bouzouki TM375 Zook
    Eastman MDC-804 'Cello
    Eastman E60M
    Epiphone "Hummingbird"

Quote Originally Posted by meow-n-dolin View Post
    Would anyone be interested in usable digital images of the sheet music?
    The short answer is "absolutely!"

Also: "definitely!"
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Sheri Mignano Crawford Mandophile's Avatar

Hey, I'd love to see this manuscript, scan it and upload it to the Dropbox. It would be great to see the original. I've come to distrust some versions that pop up in the Nakano collection. Anileda was published in 1916, not sure if it was his last but it wouldn't surprise me. After the war and the 1918+ pandemic, things weren't good. I did not order his death certificate but before he died, he was teaching in a couple of studios. His spectacular performance schedule had been reduced to a zero.
    So, yes, please take a photograph at least so we can see it now. Thanks, Sheri
    Sheri Mignano Crawford

https://www.zighibaci.com (books)
    https://www.eurocafemusic.com (on hiatus)
    https://academia.edu (articles, monographs, papers)
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCi...FkUGI_5-XnJMoQ (YouTube)

Very interested; I have been talking with Lee Bidgood at East Tennessee U about a panel discussion on the Mandolin Orchestra in America. This material would be very useful, both as musical examples and historical documents. And the popular/novelty music is an important part of that music that often gets neglected in a Eurocentric framing of history.
    I imagine this will be a slow and tedious process, but as a scholar I appreciate that you "actually enjoy the cataloging and digitization. "
    I am thanking you on behalf of a whole lot of people, and yes--please send <<jfimhoff@msn.com>> or post whatever is digitally available.
    jim

Quote Originally Posted by meow-n-dolin View Post
    The great aunt of the person I received this collection from was a professional mandolin player in New York during the early 1920's. It is quite possible that she actually took lessons from Cambria.
    I know there may be privacy concerns but I would be very interested in who this great aunt was. I was a member of the NY Mandolin Orchestra back in the 1980s and there were a few of the original members who played with them in the 1920s. NYMO started in 1924. There were also a few other mandolin orchestras in the City back them.

There is a brief history of NYMO here.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Quote Originally Posted by Mandophile View Post
    I've come to distrust some versions that pop up in the Nakano collection.
    Hey, Sheri: Just wondering what you mean by the above distrust.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Sheri Mignano Crawford Mandophile's Avatar

compare/contrast. while valid arrangements exist, I'd rather have the source material, first edition, original manuscript before they (sometimes) get butchered by well-meaning musicians. For example, Samuel Adelstein, who made the sacred journey and particpated at various levels to preserve the integrity of the mandolin repertoire. But I am wary of anyone who may have had access to all sorts of sheetmusic drifting into the San Francisco Bay Area after WW2, especially. I'm working on a transcription and arrangement by Rudy Cipolla. Somehow he got his hands on the sheetmusic and arranged a title by the revered Japanese composer Tadishi Hori. I must trust that Rudy accurately reflected the intention of the composer, even when tweaked. Hope that makes sense. BTW, it is difficult to locate Tadishi Hori compositions in the Nakano Collection. Any help would be appreciated. My Japanese is nil + their chronological categories lack any cues as to how to explore and find specific works in the library. Thanks. (Sorry, I may be slightly off-topic amd apologize if I didnt' quite answer Garber's query re level of distrust). P.S. I recall downloading a Silvestri title from the Nakano library a few years ago and compared it to other editions. The printed Japanese edition was disappointing when contrasted with Italian Manhattan publishers. Sorry I can't retrieve the specifics this morning). Hey, this is a Ph.D. dissertation topic if there ever was one.
    Sheri Mignano Crawford

https://www.zighibaci.com (books)
    https://www.eurocafemusic.com (on hiatus)
    https://academia.edu (articles, monographs, papers)
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCi...FkUGI_5-XnJMoQ (YouTube)