Thread: Go to guy for top mandolin set up in Nashville area

Default Go to guy for top mandolin set up in Nashville area

I have two Daley F5s. Consequently, Sim always did my mandolin set ups (I live 2-3/4 hours away). Well, you can imagine it’s long overdue for the both of them seeing as how Sim has been back in the UK for some years now.
    So, I’m asking, who is the guru to go to. Probably needs new frets as well as a good tweek on the set up. David Harvey? Is he doing this work still? If so, contact info? You could pm me.
    FWIW, I have a regular luthier for my guitar work, but I’d rather drive these mandolins than ship. If it comes to it though, I’ll just contact him. But I’d prefer driving to a guy who does primarily mandolin work but it must be excellent work.

Thanks for reading whether you can respond or not. Stay well and be happy, MandoCafe!
    Rick in Memphis

Default Re: Go to guy for top mandolin set up in Nashville area

Lynn Dudenbostel is in Maryville. It’s on the other side of the state but he’s a go to guy as you say.
    Northfield NF-5S
    Sawchyn Beaver Tail
    Eastman MD 605
    Eastwood Mandocaster
    Hora Irish Bouzouki

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chris W. For This Useful Post:

I would recommend the luthier department at Gruhn's. They are renowned for top notch work. I cannot recommend Carter's Vintage, although I love the store itself. I have had a few bad experiences with their repair department and I have vowed to never take another of my instruments into their shop ever again. If mandolin setup is all you want, Dennis Vance at the Mandolin Store does very good work and I will trust him with any of my mandolins. If you want some other trusted (mandolin luthier) names in Nashville then I suggest reaching out to David Benedict since he knows all the cats here in Nashville.

5. The following members say thank you to Nashville for this post:

I heard Hugh Hansen did some work for Mike Compton that Mike was very happy with. Gilchrist recommended him to me back when I owned a Gil, but I never had him work on anything. Not sure where Danny Roberts is, but he posts "Just off the bench" videos on FB describing work he's done on mandos and demoing them. Of course they sound great with him playing them.
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

7. The following members say thank you to Don Grieser for this post:

Hugh Hanson did the restoration on Matt Flinner’s Gil. Matt was very pleased.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

9. The following members say thank you to Mandobar for this post:

Teacher, repair person

I'm in Chattanooga, and have done most of Norman Blake's set up and repair work for the last 20 years. I also did some work for Pete Ostroushko.

If you're in Memphis, Nashville would certainly be closer. Hugh is good, and from what I understand, also Andy Todd. Both of them are probably pretty busy, so you should be prepared to be patient. I cannot recommend the Glaser shop.

I'll also mention Chris Bozung in Fairview, which would be closer to you. I haven't seen his fret work, but he has been at it for 30 years, builds instruments, and did most of the repairs for Curtis McPeake's shop. He is also probably pretty busy.
    Last edited by rcc56; Sep-01-2021 at 3:01pm.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rcc56 For This Useful Post:

I feel like I have to mention Steve Smith at Cumberland Acoustic in Hendersonville. Good work and a heck of a nice guy.

13. The following members say thank you to chipotle for this post:

I would also suggest Hugh Hansen:

https://hughhansen.com/

He used to work on Gilchrists when he was at Gruhn's and he has done a fantastic job for me on several different mandolins.

Alan
    acinva

15. The following members say thank you to acinva for this post:

YES sir on Steve Smith Clumberland/ redline. HENDERSONVILLE Tn.

17. The following members say thank you to mr ken for this post:

theres also chris bozrung in fairveiw tenn....just west of nashvegas......

19. The following members say thank you to kymandolin29 for this post: