Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SIMPLE Editing Software for PC

Registered User Sherry Cadenhead's Avatar

Default SIMPLE Editing Software for PC

I have a new Webcam and plan to make videos of my playing to post in the SAW group. I REALLY need to edit out the beginning and end of each video. Can someone recommend really user friendly editing software?

Default Re: SIMPLE Editing Software for PC

I don’t know PC but in the Mac you can trim a video to just a selection of the whole in QuickTime. I bet there is something similar built into your windows OS.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    I don’t know PC but in the Mac you can trim a video to just a selection of the whole in QuickTime. I bet there is something similar built into your windows OS.
    Thanks, Jim! There is! Now I need to locate the video I just took. I have no idea where it might be.

Blog Entries

I think it is still possible to find MovieMaker. It used to be included with Windows, but is not any more. MovieMaker can do simple trims and a few other simple editting tasks. I used it for a year or two before upgrading. You may have to dig around to find it.
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

5. The following members say thank you to HonketyHank for this post:

What program on the pc are you using to record the video? I was looking on mine the other day and saw "voice recorder" but nothing apparent for doing video. Thanks

Blog Entries

To trim the beginning and end of a video you should be able to do that either in your camera or your smartphone.
    Bandcamp -- https://tomwright1.bandcamp.com/
    Videos--YouTube
    Sound Clips--SoundCloud
    The viola is proof that man is not rational

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

I use RealPlayer. Free download at real.com. Includes Trimmer and also Converter, which enables turning a video into just audio. That's a really big help for stripping away the video content of youtube videos (which it will download) which are just uploads of audio tracks to begin with, making them much smaller files. It's probably my most-frequently-used app. As to Trimmer - it's rudimentary. Straight cuts, no fades. Also, sometimes it acts like click-to-grid, in that it won't cut to an exact point, only one that's close. Can be frustrating. But it's easy to use.

I've been quite unable to find MovieMaker. No idea why they discontinued it, nor what's happened to it. Weird.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Blog Entries

Sherry (and everybody), I did a little digging and I now retract my recommendation of Movie Maker. There are too many "Movie Maker imitators" available for download potentially along with potential malware. If you are a true computer geek like me, you can probably find the real thing, but it is not worth the potential harm if you are not really knowledgeable.

Instead, Microsoft does have a video editor that they claim is the successor to the old Movie Maker. It should be included with Windows 10. Open the Program menu using the Start button and scroll down the list of programs to "Video Editor". If you see it, then you have it installed.

Here is a link to a "how to" on using Windows Video Editor: https://www.howtogeek.com/355524/how...-video-editor/
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

10. The following members say thank you to HonketyHank for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Mead View Post
    What program on the pc are you using to record the video? I was looking on mine the other day and saw "voice recorder" but nothing apparent for doing video. Thanks
    Steve, I'm using my Logitech webcam.

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HonketyHank View Post
    Here is a link to a "how to" on using Windows Video Editor: https://www.howtogeek.com/355524/how...-video-editor/
    Thanks, Hank. Looks promising.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

If you plan to do enough video to justify a paid editor, I can recommend Adobe Premier Elements 2021. I think it's around $60-$80 depending on where you buy it. Unlike the main Adobe programs it's a one-time purchase, not a monthly subscription. It's good for basic stuff like editing of heads and tails, adjusting exposure and color balance, exporting in various formats. Also good for importing and matching "wild" audio to the video clips if you record audio on a separate device, like I do when shooting video.

The only criticism I have is that it's packed with special effects stuff that you'll probably never use, but many editors now are going to include that. I think it also doesn't handle multi-camera edits if you need that.

I've been using Avidemux for Windows, which can be downloaded for free.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Quote Originally Posted by Sherry Cadenhead View Post
    I have a new Webcam and plan to make videos of my playing to post in the SAW group. I REALLY need to edit out the beginning and end of each video. Can someone recommend really user friendly editing software?
    Sherry, if you have Windows 10 the "Photos" app that comes with it has a video editor that can crop and splice videos. I use this for my ArtistWorks video submissions and it works well

Quote Originally Posted by DaveGinNJ View Post
    Sherry, if you have Windows 10 the "Photos" app that comes with it has a video editor that can crop and splice videos. I use this for my ArtistWorks video submissions and it works well
    I agree that this is an incredibly useful (and free) app. It is poorly named. I use it to create MP4 files (an audio and video file) which load directly and easily to YouTube. It also has the capacity to add audio. I do not know all the audio formats it will recognize, but it does a great job with the MP3s I create in Audacity (another freebie). There are some very useful instructional videos for the "Photos" app on YouTube....

17. The following members say thank you to William Young for this post:

I see that "Video Editor" is inside the "Photos" app in W10 and am anxious to give it a try.

A little off the subject, but how would you incorporate a backing track into the video? Would you simply have it going in a separate application simultaneous with the melody video?

Believe it or not, I am enmeshed in downloading the videos from the Ring and a Blink camera at our other house, and have been using iMovie on my iPad. It works great and you can do editing there. I have also used my Mac and Macbook too. It's made me want to try shooting some video at the next jam.

Sherry, if you know the file extension (like .mp4) you can search for these using Finder on Mac.

It looks like you are using a PC though. But you can search for the file format on PC also.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

I see that "Video Editor" is inside the "Photos" app in W10 and am anxious to give it a try.

A little off the subject, but how would you incorporate a backing track into the video? Would you simply have it going in a separate application simultaneous with the melody video?
    I don't know how the Windows 10 Photo app works, but a standard video editor like Adobe Premier Elements will show the camera-recorded audio as a waveform below the video rendering area. You can then import an additional audio recording like a backing track in WAV or MP3 format, and it will show up as an additional waveform below the camera audio. Then you can slide the imported audio waveform back and forth until it's in sync with the camera audio track.

21. The following members say thank you to foldedpath for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by foldedpath View Post
    I don't know how the Windows 10 Photo app works, but a standard video editor like Adobe Premier Elements will show the camera-recorded audio as a waveform below the video rendering area. You can then import an additional audio recording like a backing track in WAV or MP3 format, and it will show up as an additional waveform below the camera audio. Then you can slide the imported audio waveform back and forth until it's in sync with the camera audio track.
    I was thinking of playing for the video with the track in the background. Would that make sense?

Sherry, when I record videos in which I appear on camera and play, rather than the ones where I have a soundtrack and separate photos or video clips, I regularly use my Tascam DR-05 recorder along with the camcorder. I record on the Tascam in wav format and start the two devices together, usually with an introductory chord or identifiable intro.

I load the Tascam recording into my REAPER audio software (Audacity or other similar audio programs will do the same) and I then add in any backing tracks I might want to have in the tune. I mix this and render it to mp3 format (a much smaller file size and not all that inferior to wav format when YouTube algorithms come into play). In the rural locality where I live we have quite poor broadband performance, so keeping files to a manageable size is important to me. If you can handle wav formats then they will be superior in sound quality.

I then load the camcorder's audio and video into my film editor software and "top and tail" the video. I add the rendered Tascam audio track as a separate soundtrack and line this up the with the camcorder's audio track, sliding the track into place as Foldedpath has said. I check this sync by eye but also by ear! When I am happy with the synchronising of the sound tracks I then delete the camcorder's track, as it of much lower quality than the track produced by the Tascam. Last part is adding in credits and rendering the final video to a format which suits YouTube. As a Windows user I generally render the video to Windows wmv format.

Hope this is of some help to you.
    I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order. - Eric Morecambe

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheOldBores

I was thinking of playing for the video with the track in the background. Would that make sense?
    You could do that, but if I understand what you're suggesting, you would need the backing track playing on speakers somewhere and you're playing live along with it, all recorded together into the camera. It could work, but you lose the ability to adjust the level of your playing against the backing track in the final editing.

The way this is usually done -- and my fiddler S.O. and I just did a group project like this recently -- is you listen to the backing track on headphones or earbuds while you play along to it, so the camera is only recording your playing. Then you import the backing track audio into the video editor and mix it into the final video. That way, you can balance how loud the backing track is against your playing.

This video linked below is the project we worked on this way a couple of months ago: 40+ musicians playing along to a guide track and then all mixed together in sequence. I'm there for just a few seconds at 03:30 playing flute along with my fiddler S.O. on the tune. We're both wearing earbuds and listening to the background guide track. Then the video editor could sync us all up together on the tune.

https://vimeo.com/572764258

Blog Entries

If you're using Win10 Pro it comes with a very simple video editor (named "Video Editor") that is capable of trimming beginnings and endings of videos (and more).

Also, if you're recording your video using the camera program (named "Camera") you can go from there automatically to the video editor program to trim, etc.

This video posted here in the Cafe' was produced using these programs:
    Blue Bayou
    -- Don

"Music: A minor auditory irritation occasionally characterized as pleasant."
    "It is a lot more fun to make music than it is to argue about it."

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    1975 Suzuki taterbug (plus many other noisemakers)
    [About how I tune my mandolins]
    [Our recent arrival]

Quote Originally Posted by dhergert View Post
    If you're using Win10 Pro it comes with a very simple video editor (named "Video Editor") that is capable of trimming beginnings and endings of videos (and more).

Also, if you're recording your video using the camera program (named "Camera") you can go from there automatically to the video editor program to trim, etc.

This video posted here in the Cafe' was produced using these programs:
    Blue Bayou
    Don, I plan to do just that the next time I'm ready to post a video. That was a beautiful video. Thanks for sharing.

27. The following members say thank you to Sherry Cadenhead for this post:

Don, nice job with Blue Bayou, and a fine example of getting the job done with the basic tools at hand. Thanks for sharing!

29. The following members say thank you to Alfons for this post:

I've been watching some Video Editor how-to videos, but can't find one that shows how to crop pictures. Is there a way to do that?

Blog Entries

The Windows photo and video programs vector off from so many different places into each other that it can be confusing. Here's one way to do it:

Assuming you're meaning cropping a literal picture (and not to crop a video)...

Bring up the Camera program. Make sure to change its orientation to Photo. Take your shot.

Click on the shot in the lower right corner of the window to review it.

While reviewing it click on "See All Photos" in the upper left corner of the window.

Click on the photo you want to crop. (In order to Start at this point with an already-taken photo, click on "Photos" in your Start Menu.)

While viewing that photo right mouse click on it. Select "Edit & Create" => Edit.

You'll be in the photo editor at this point, where you can do simple editing on it.

This photo editor can also do simple video editing, btw. Confused? Me too. Many different ways to get to the same point.
    -- Don

"Music: A minor auditory irritation occasionally characterized as pleasant."
    "It is a lot more fun to make music than it is to argue about it."

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    1975 Suzuki taterbug (plus many other noisemakers)
    [About how I tune my mandolins]
    [Our recent arrival]