Thread: Fake Gibson A9 on Ebay

Default Fake Gibson A9 on Ebay

Looks like a fake to me. What say you?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/265305211536

I have reached out to seller and reported it as fake at eBay. I asked seller for full photo of label and a video sample of sound.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FakeGibson.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	71.2 KB 
ID:	196231
    2012 Arnold Cross F
    1985 Flatiron 2MC
    1980 Kentucky 180S MIJ
    1919 Vega Cylinder Back 207
    1950s Kay Tenor Banjo

2. The following members say thank you to Greg Allen for this post:

Default Re: Fake Gibson A9 on Ebay

I don't know why pawn shops fall for these but they have been doing it for years. At least they stopped using the orange labels. It isn't even a good copy.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Great name for a seller! “Norwalk” is a disease which causes “Diahorea and Vomiting”.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Allen View Post

I have reached out to seller and reported it as fake at eBay. I asked seller for full photo of label and a video sample of sound.

Not to mention $1999.99 seems steep for a used A-9?

So good:

“The mandolin shows a few scratches and scuffs here and there. The biggest cosmetic flaw is a hole ”

Oh, c’mon! Everybody knows that Gibson used the three Phillips-head truss rod cover for that special run back in whenever! Totally worth the extra money right there! I hear they’re suing everyone for patent infringement over that design…

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Allen View Post

Seller reply
    "Hello, I added more pictures of the label. It is a bit hard to take a picture with the camera since the hole is so small. As for a sound sample, I don't know how I would send it to you. and we don't know how to tune it or play it. If you have any more questions or suggestions let us know, please. "

Sad to say but I think he knows it is a fake,
    2012 Arnold Cross F
    1985 Flatiron 2MC
    1980 Kentucky 180S MIJ
    1919 Vega Cylinder Back 207
    1950s Kay Tenor Banjo

He's probably getting some heat from eBay. I reported it as counterfeit as well.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

He's BAAAAAACK ! Mr. Norwalk Pawn Shop just dropped the price of his $50 Chinese poor copy of a Gibson A 9 from 1900 to 900! Wottta deal! Of course it doesn't LOOK like an A9. And I guess the "hole in the side" just "might" be from a pick guard that counterfeiter took off. He does admit that "he's no expert" (where have I heard that before?) and best is

Based on the serial number and by looking up the number on a serial number checker, it was determined that it was made in 1994.

Before the A9 was invented. Yeah, the old "serial number checker."

I'm definitely not an expert, but this copy is SOOOOOO crappy and this would be funny, except that some honest person is going to be cheated out of hundreds of dollars, unless Mr. Norwalk Pawn drops the price to $50.

Be smart about what/where you buy and alert others.

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/lg...528037216.html

Alan Spector
    (Still holding off on getting a Flatiron or A9 until after I sell my gorgeous, heavy Recording Kind Tricone. And that The Loar (yeccch, that name but it's a good guitar) and at least one banjo....)

It's still a fake and the seller knows it.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

But, but, but .....he used the serial number checker !!! ....the more detailed the lie, the more obvious that it is an intentional lie.

Norwalk eh? A form of Norovirus which tends to come out of both ends at the same time!!!

Most pawn shops get the "vintage guitar guys" passing through checking their inventory several times a day, so the likelihood of someone not telling them it's fake is probably zero -- and that is if they didn't know it already.

I've noticed that some people have a more "flexible" sense of honesty than other people and they are fine with it. I worked for a guy in a retail setting whose main goal everyday was to get a sale, plain and simple. That's how he fed his family. The veracity of the items he sold was of little concern to him, IMHO. Keep in mind, the store had a mixture of authentic and bogus offerings, so that blurred the field. Anyway, sometimes I would comment, "hey, that doesn't look quite right to me," and he would say, "well, let's just send it out and see if the sale sticks!" More times than not the sale went through OK with no complaints. So sometimes the buyer is less informed than the seller, regardless of intention.

Keep in mind, misrepresented sales can be contested even years later if found to be fake. There was a well-known case of a Gibson electric guitar selling to a museum for $600K, and then taken to court years later when new experts found fault with it. Obviously, most times this never occurs and if it does it is dealt with a quick refund and that's all you hear of it. And, obviously, legal fees to contest the sale would outweigh the cost of a $2000 instrument -- another way these sellers can continue. So....let the buyer beware and don't believe everything people say, IMHO.