Thread: Digital Mixer Advice!

Default Digital Mixer Advice!

I am ready to bite the bullet and buy a new sound system. It's time to retire my still working Mackie 6 channel powered mixer that I bought used for $200 over 20 years ago! Most of our gigs provide sound but I do run sound on a few shows a year, and probably more in the future. I have a mostly acoustic Western Swing trio comprised of me on acoustic archtop guitar with an AKG C409 clip on mic, fiddle that is miced, upright bass that sometimes we run thru the PA, and 3 vocal mics. Occasionally we go 4 piece with my buddy Redd on Telecaster and another vocal mic. I am considering QSC 10.2 for my mains, QSC 8.2 for monitors (but would welcome a less expensive monitor option), and trying to figure out a user friendly digital mixer option with about 8 channels. I am comfortable with my old Mackie and other antique analog mixers but am a little intimidated by the thought of a digital mixer! I love sliders and knobs, but I think it may be wise to go digital if I can find a mixer that is fairly simple and intuitive. I have looked at the QSC TouchMix-8, Presonus AR8c and AR16c, and a confusing sea of other mixers. I checked out a couple older threads but would love to hear from any of you folks who have personal experience with these options - and am very open to other options and suggestions. Thanks!

Default Re: Digital Mixer Advice!

I'm using the QSC Touchmix during the past four years and could not be happier.
    Fine sounding pres, easy handling... I combine it with QSC K8.2s and QSC K12.2s, sometimes Bose L1. Vocals, acoustic guitars, mandolin, dobro, banjo, upright bass, accordion ... I absolutely will recommend the TM and buy it again.

Blog Entries

I'm using a Presonus AR16. I like the straightforward instant availability of analogue front end & yet still having the ability to run it as an interface for capturing to PC if required. I was using a Mackie iPad controlled system, but found the ability of a stray knuckle or finger to cause it to jump to random screen positions or poke an incorrect virtual button was disconcerting. I use the onboard SD card recorder to grab stereo reference tracks for later use as guide tracks or just a bit of critical listening. Having the Bluetooth pairing is handy for running interval music or compere mics via an iPhone. I like the simplicity & reliability.
    Eoin

"Forget that anyone is listening to you and always listen to yourself" - Fryderyk Chopin

I recently got a Behringer XR18 and am really liking it. I wouldn’t call it super intuitive however. It took a while to figure out how to do things like low cut filters, compressors, etc. But the capabilities for the price are astounding. And with 18 inputs and 8 outputs it can handle a lot.

Thanks for the helpful relies everyone! Mando-Bob - in regards to the QSC Touchmix, is there anything you would consider a down side? Same question to Beanzy about the Presonus AR16?

To be precise: I'm using the TM 16-channel version which should be no difference.
    No down side here. I love the touchscreen in combination with the big jogwheel, which is what I always use, but you also can use a tablet.

7. The following members say thank you to mando-bob for this post:

Blog Entries

For the money I can't really say there's anything I'd call a downside.
    There are a few things I'd like to add to it if I were designing the next generation version;
    Record all 18 tracks straight to the SD card plus the mix, would be good to save bringing the laptop to record gig for remix later.
    Make the Aux channels stereo so doubling the options for monitor mixes to headphone amps without having to add buttons & knobs.
    Then in the big jump upgrades category I would add;
    Ability to integrate with a Cat5 stage-box would be great to save having a loom.
    Integrate with the Presonus Qmix app & maybe upgrade that so it delivers the mix to the actual iPhone too.
    But all of those would put it way beyond the price bracket it currently is in. For the money it ticks all the boxes.
    Eoin

"Forget that anyone is listening to you and always listen to yourself" - Fryderyk Chopin

9. The following members say thank you to Beanzy for this post:

Recent sprung for the ToneMatch 8 from Bose and really like it. We use the preset EQ's and rarely change any settings. Vocals come out the clearest of any PA I have ever used. The fact that it is digital and not analog, like I have used for a long time, takes little getting used to but is definitely worth the effort. Also like the fact that it is compact an lightweight. We don't get paid by the pound.

11. The following members say thank you to JimKo for this post: