Thread: Built a contact mic for string instruments.

Default Built a contact mic for string instruments.

This is outside of our posting guidelines. Suggest if you're promoting business dealings and asking for funds you use the Classifieds or other external resources. From the Forum posting guidelins:

- Ebay, online auctions, Cafe Classifieds, Patreon, GoFundMe, KickStarter Campaigns and like crowd-sourcing pursuits, direct dealer solicitations: while discussing the online auctions or classified ads of others is permitted, posting personal transactions for business, fund-raising or pursuits that are overly self-promoting is prohibited.
    Last edited by Mandolin Cafe; Sep-21-2021 at 11:47am. Reason: violates forum posting guidelines

Question Re: Built a contact mic for string instruments.

I have a Schertler Dynamic type contact mic inside my Mix A5.. TRS 1/4" end button-jack .

works & sounds good & is reliable. made in Switzerland..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Question Re: Built a contact mic for string instruments.

Already many Piezo electric wafers stuck on the underside of hundreds of Mandolincafe Member's Mandolin's tops.

and their owners touting their impression of what they own , check them out..

writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Default Re: Built a contact mic for string instruments.

Quote Originally Posted by mandroid View Post
    I have a Schertler Dynamic type contact mic inside my Mix A5.. TRS 1/4" end button-jack .

works & sounds good & is reliable. made in Switzerland..
    yeah ... not available in India though, at least not without serious mark-up. :-)

Already many Piezo electric wafers stuck on the underside of hundreds of Mandolincafe Member's Mandolin's tops.

and their owners touting their impression of what they own , check them out..
    I can pretty much guarantee that no one has built something exactly like my pickup.

I assembled the transducer myself as well as the preamplifier circuit (yes, it's a cheap piezo disc, but modified - I haven't seen anything resembling it commercially); it is completely balanced from beginning to end, so (almost) no noise; phantom-powered like a condenser mic, so no batteries needed; and works without modification on different instruments all the way down to cello range (and even bass, but there's no substitute for a really good microphone).

Also most relevant: most of the commercial ones given here, if they are available in India where I live, are marked up to 1.5x - 2x the cost due to import tariffs. And most of the best ones are simply not available at all, apart from being super expensive.
    Not very friendly for small-time musicians like me.

Good luck, I know nothing about the mandolin market place on the Indian subcontinent.

I'm certainly not planning to import any to the USA.. you grow your own piezoelectric materials ?
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

you grow your own piezoelectric materials ?
    Not to my knowledge I can't grow anything, lol. But I certainly had to braid my own wires and assemble my own circuits and enclosures, and I did assemble the piezo disc itself into a new configuration.