Thread: Multi-bug Puglisi?

Default Multi-bug Puglisi?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D790BCE4-3AF6-48F3-B640-1CA4ADF7E844.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	559.2 KB 
ID:	196291Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3C3E9979-B1F5-448B-A50B-70CB3CF5613C.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	686.6 KB 
ID:	196292Today’s project, courtesy SGW, is a bowl back with a few interesting features. I bought it for the colorful bugs - romantic. An image browse points toward Puglisi or someone in Germany, but your good guess would be appreciated.
    The top of the peg head has a shape seen on P’s, and a (sensible to me) ancient repair added plates to the top side, which might be justified if the wood was worn. There’s a label from a UK dealer, but nothing else; no stamp aft of the bridge, nothing inside. Looks like rosewood on the staves, one of which is going to need Richard’s Unpatented single side glue clamps. Bridge probably replacement. Sounds reasonable on antique strings so far. Action is playable, but zero fret is at least .010” too high.
    There’s hardly any cant to the top, and the nearest brace is about 1” forward of the bridge location, which I understand might be ok, and it has a prior repair with a sistered piece. The top forward has deformed but not enough to get up about.
    Comments?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B0484D7C-9A4F-4411-BAE6-481D3068EED2.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	1.22 MB 
ID:	196289
    [/ATTACH]Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4577541A-E91D-4373-BC44-3612504E2A26.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	566.6 KB 
ID:	196290

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Default Re: Multi-bug Puglisi?

A curious instrument in terms of its details and hardware.

It doesn't look like Puglisi to me, though I can understand how it would come to mind. The tuners, tailpiece, bridge (maybe not original) and general vibe don't look Sicilian to me.

Puglisi certainly labeled their instruments (and well-glued the labels) and while they also might have jobbed out work for others, I think an alternate source from Middle Europe might be the more likely bet.

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to brunello97 For This Useful Post:

I agree with Mick that it is not a Puglisi. I think the tailpiece is one of those German ones, for what they us worth. Other than that, looks a bit clunky to me. Is the workmanship decent or so-so?
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    I agree with Mick that it is not a Puglisi. I think the tailpiece is one of those German ones, for what they us worth. Other than that, looks a bit clunky to me. Is the workmanship decent or so-so?
    Can’t speak about workmanship, other than it’s held together for more than a century, and the top hasn’t cracked, and it sounds strong. Certainly not the top of the line, if fancy trim involving more labor hours is the criterion. Must have been a factory item, and German makes sense. The dual-moth celluloid applique is slightly interesting in that its details are engraved, and it’s thin and not inlaid.
    So while I’m writing: today, still in my away from home condition with very limited tools, I went after the one bashed stave, the high zero fret and the bridge using stuff at hand. Knowing that an item is not rare or valuable is liberating, a license to experiment and to do the expedient!

One very expedient move today, lacking hide glue and clamps, was aligning, gluing, and filling the stave break with the MC recipe of cyanoacrylate and baking soda as a strong, and instantaneous setting adhesive. Immediately able to be sanded and stained. Good thing nobody was watching.

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Nice.

A friend once said to me: "What's the best bicycle out there? The one you're riding RIGHT NOW."

I got it.

Sometimes I feel the same way about the mandolins or accordions I'm playing.

It takes more effort for me to not like one.

Get it fixed and keep playing it.

Bowlback mandolins are like magic.

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig