Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: mandolin tattoos

a big-bodied F
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	leg6.jpg 
Views:	1547 
Size:	82.8 KB 
ID:	32382  
    Billy Parker

My favorite so far is Tina's Fern. Nice work and nice color on a nice mediuim. Yeap! I give it a 9.9
    I Pick, Therefore I Grin! ... "Good Music Any OLD-TIME"

1922 Gibson F2
    2006 Gibson F5 Goldrush
    2015 Martin HD28-V
    2017 Gibson J45

CrazyMandolin - that line-drawn fern is just beautiful! the detail is just amazing.

No one gotten a chord form Cheat Sheet in the inside of their fretting arm?
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Finally got the mandolin tattoo that I'd been dreaming of! #I play A style mandolins, OM's and Citterns... It's still healing up, thus a little flakey (should have greased it up for the photo haha!)..

6. The following members say thank you to Barbara Shultz for this post:

bookmn 

Whoa...that is very impressive. Nice work. Like the Weber knot on the headstock. You're among the select few wearing it. Congrats!

Fellow knot tat bearer,
    Brian T. Walker
    Down beside the Alamo
    In the Lone Star State

"Ignorance is when you don't know something and somebody finds it out."
    -- Kenneth "Jethro" Burns

Blog Entries

Nice Barbara. She plays a Weber Bridger.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

Now that is some fine leg art. Both of mine are tattooed from the '50s but that gorgeous!

Quote Originally Posted by (Doug Edwards @ Sep. 22 2005, 13:59)
    I bet there is a market for a temporary tattoo. I'd love to have one just for a couple of festivals to get a reaction out of some folks.

Would that make me a temporary redneck?
    Nope, just makes you a big chicken redneck, or maybe "Yeller." You gotta commit, man!
    Chuck

I'm not a big fan of body art, but if you're going to decorate your body with a design, at least it really should mean something to you, like a lover's name assuming it lasts, or copy of your mando's inlay. I mean I've seen some really stupid ink, and maybe that's why I have such a negative veiw about it. If more people through it through like this I'd probably like them.

Quote Originally Posted by (CES @ Sep. 05 2008, 19:42)
    ...Nope, just makes you a big chicken redneck, or maybe "Yeller." #You gotta commit, man!
    I know some fine people that I think highly of and respect that have tattoos so I was not going to comment on people's desire to get tattoos. However the suggestion that NOT GETTING ONE makes someone chicken or yeller is beyond obtuse and requires a comment.
    Having NO DESIRE to have a tattoo has nothing at all to do with fear or being "yeller". It has to do with not wanting any permanent marks made on this body of mine.
    For the record several of the people I know with tattoos are still happy with them but several others wish they had never gotten them.
    Bill Snyder

I second Bill's emotions. In addition, there are also some of us who do not get tattoos because our ancestors had numbers tattooed on their arms during the 1940's.
    still trying to turn dreams into memories

Hey Barbara, that is beautiful!How did you come up with the design? I'm going next week for a consultation with a tattoo artist my voice teacher told me about.From her web site looks like my design should be no problem for her! I'll post a picture of it of course after I get itOne of my friends told me I was stupid to get a tattoo(what a friend huh?)Her boyfriend had a marijuana leaf done on his forearm when he was young and now he regrets it so that's the reason she calls it stupid. Having a tattoo is a choice for life so it's something to think about carefully. Who does that when they're young?? I love Hello Kitty and was thinking about getting one done, but then I thought "when I'm 80 do I want to be looking at a Hello Kitty tattoo?" #My thought was no - I'm sticking with my related to music theme

Quote Originally Posted by (Curious @ Sep. 05 2008, 22:06)
    Quote Originally Posted by (CES @ Sep. 05 2008, 19:42)
    ...Nope, just makes you a big chicken redneck, or maybe "Yeller." #You gotta commit, man!
    I know some fine people that I think highly of and respect that have tattoos so I was not going to comment on people's desire to get tattoos. However the suggestion that NOT GETTING ONE makes someone chicken or yeller is beyond obtuse and requires a comment.
    Having NO DESIRE to have a tattoo has nothing at all to do with fear or being "yeller". It has to do with not wanting any permanent marks made on this body of mine.
    For the record several of the people I know with tattoos are still happy with them but several others wish they had never gotten them.
    I agree, having had one removed.
    Heiden F-5 #110
    GMC Terrain VIN 2GTEC13Z871107423
    2007 Tempurpedic mattress
    $1.35 in assorted change

I have a tattoo that I had done just prior to shipping out to Vietnam; I would NOT do it again and would suggest that anyone considering having such a permanent addition performed on their body think it over, and over, and over......

Having been tattooed since the 1950s on both legs and one arm, I am not ashamed of them, but strangely enough, I keep them covered most of the time. Here we are in a a society that seems to accept them more, but I display mine less and less. Removal of tattoos by way of laser is most expensive, and the older technique of "sanding" a few layers of skin, then healing up and going again until the ink has vanished, was more painful that being inked. Of course this method left a pink area where the ink had been and was just as noticeable. Folks need to realize that this sort of body art is forever and any tattoo "artist" can have a bad day and leave proof of that on your skin!

Tattoos are a subject that most people have definate opinions about. And this IS a message board, where people who love to voice their opinions, love to post! But, I would suggest that the whole thread about whether tattoos are tasteless, or people who don't get them are chicken, is just asking for the moderators to step in and put a stop to it!

Tattoos ARE permanent, and you SHOULD think long and hard about that if you are considering getting one. I, too, have seen some pretty tacky ones. But, this is a free country, and if a person wants something tacky permanently inked on their body, it's their right!

And, like it or not, tattoos are becoming more mainstream and accepted as an artform. You'd be amazed at how many people you would NEVER expect to have a tattoo, have one (or more)! I imagine that in 50 years, the world (or at least the US) is going to be filled with saggy wrinkled senior citizens, with their ink all fuzzy and run together and indecipherable... but there will sure be a lot of them!

Since this IS a mandolin message board, and the thread was 'mandolin tattoos', I'd suggest that the only appropriate replies would either be someone showing their tatt, someone replying to it (like, wow that's great, or wow, didn't that hurt). If you don't like tattoos, don't read or reply to a thread about them!

TinaB1; how I came up with the design; my daughter (who is more tattooed that I care for, but I accept), was scrolling through some tattoo art online. I saw one of a gibson guitar that I liked the way it looked. She referred me to one of her friends in Houston, TX who is a tattoo artist. I sent her a picture of me with my mandolin, and she came up with the design. It's really not at all like the guitar one, as she knew the artist whose tattoo that was, and didn't want to rip it off. She herself is a musician, so she was right-on with the details like the strings, headstock, etc.

Barb

Barabara, I like it. #I have often thought about getting a tattoo but have never been brave enough or really found the one thing that speaks to me enough to have it put on me. #If I ever find the right thing I don't think I would hesitate (too much) to get one. I have a candidate that has been in my mind for a couple of years, we'll see if anything comes of it...
    Chip

Chief Moderator/Shepherd Ted Eschliman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by (barbarashultz @ Sep. 06 2008, 09:46)
    Tattoos are a subject that most people have definate opinions about. #And this IS a message board, where people who love to voice their opinions, love to post! #But, I would suggest that the whole thread about whether tattoos are tasteless, or people who don't get them are chicken, is just asking for the moderators to step in and put a stop to it!
    Barbara, thank you for saying this. You are correct in that as long as we can keep this very interesting discussion on the "art" itself, and not the person (whether you consider a tat as art or not is moot here), we Moderators will not find it necessary to intervene.
    Ted Eschliman

Author, Getting Into Jazz Mandolin

I missed where anyone attacked tattoos or those that get them. I did however see where someone attacked those that don't get them.
    Bill Snyder

Quote Originally Posted by (Curious @ Sep. 06 2008, 20:57)
    I missed where anyone attacked tattoos or those that get them. I did however see where someone attacked those that don't get them.
    I'm pretty sure that was meant as friendly banter. I wouldn't get all knotted up over it.

I, too, took his reply to the 'temporary redneck' comment, as humor..... but like I said, people have VERY definate opinions about tattoos! My mandolin tattoo is just my 2nd one... the other is a cute kitty cat face I got 9 years ago. I love kitty cats, so both my tattoos do have meaning for me, and at this age, I don't think I'll ever regret either one of them! There's a lot to be said for waiting till you're already a senior citizen to get one!

Barb

i was once asked to design a mandolin and guitar tattoo for someone but i simply could not bring myself to do it.

i read (anthropologist levi strauss) that indians in the amazon forest tattoo themselves (piercing, slashing, etc.) as a display of courage against the terrifying natural world around them.

i also read that someone commissioned an oriental tattoo artist to write "crouching tiger" - or some such macho phrase - on their arm and got "i like sailors" instead.

my favorite tattoo is "born to loose."

Default Re: mandolin tattoos

Here's my entryfor the smallest tattoo.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 277.jpg 
Views:	637 
Size:	80.6 KB 
ID:	34856  
    "it's not in bad taste, if it's funny" - john waters

Smile Re: mandolin tattoos

Hello, Martin,

I recognize you by your tattoos! I saw you at Winfield this past week!
    I was at Stage 2 watching a performance and noticed them!

Very funny. Hope you enjoyed Winfield as much as I did!

Laura
    "With all those curves, there have to be strings attached."
    ™ - Cool Mandolin Company

http://www.coolmandolin.com
    http://myspace.com/coolmandolin