Thread: Bravo D'Addario XS Strings!

Default Bravo D'Addario XS Strings!

Yes they last a long time...

But also -

I've been testing out a few bridges, and making adjustments to my mandolin.

It's required the complete slacking off and retightening of all strings no less than 12 times in the past month.

Not a single string breakage! Every time (particularly as the times got more and more) I'd be wincing tightening those E strings back to pitch. Fine every time.

I am astonished!

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bazz Jass For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Bravo D'Addario XS Strings!

That's excellent news. Always been a big frustration. Probably have close to a dozen spare E strings (and some A) just for that reason.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

4. The following members say thank you to Eric Platt for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bazz Jass View Post
    Yes they last a long time...

But also -

I've been testing out a few bridges, and making adjustments to my mandolin.

It's required the complete slacking off and retightening of all strings no less than 12 times in the past month.

Not a single string breakage! Every time (particularly as the times got more and more) I'd be wincing tightening those E strings back to pitch. Fine every time.

I am astonished!
    What bridges are you trying out? Curious about bone bridges.

Agreed. I think they're on to something. I played a set from April until July. Several outdoor festivals. Held tune no breaks. For my A5 I will stick with these strings. If they come out with singles I will make a set for the bouzouki.
    Girouard Concert A5
    Girouard Custom A4
    Nordwall Cittern
    Barbi Mandola
    Crump OM-1s Octave
    www.singletonstreet.com

7. The following members say thank you to Chuck Leyda for this post:

I have found them to be long lasting through some mighty hot and humid SC gigs. They are starting to show some wear after many months but still are staying in tune pretty well. They are past their prime but I haven't changed them yet. They are brighter than other strings I've used.

9. The following members say thank you to Bob Buckingham for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Parmejohn View Post
    What bridges are you trying out? Curious about bone bridges.
    Well, my F4 when I got it had an old rosewood bridge that was majorly sagging in the centre. So I bought the most basic Stew Mac ebony bridge to try out - my first attempt at fitting a bridge to a top, which went okay and I got a guitar tech friend to slot the saddle for me.

I heard rave reviews about Cumberland bridges, so order one. Being an F4 I got one called a "low boy." I did a much better job of fitting this one to the top. It looks and sounds fantastic, but I've discovered the low boy has a much shorter saddle (to get the lowness), and as such developed a marked sag in the centre after only a week. It didn't need to be than short, as I had it cranked up on the wheels a few mm.

In hindsight, I should have gone for the standard height and adjusted a little if I needed it slightly shorter. Live and learn. I'm not spending another $90 that's for sure!

Currently I have the Cumberland base with the (taller) Stew Mac saddle, which my OCD finds hard to cope with, but works just fine. The Cumberland saddle had clearer tone and more sustain I must say. Probably too much on the low G if I'm honest.

I'm going to try making a bone saddle next - I bought 2 blanks so I get a test run at it! Took me all day to find blanks of a suitable size, but these out to work just:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/25460659637...m=254606596373

$10 shipped, so a fairly cheap exercise. If I can knock out a saddle I'll probably look at staining it. Will keep you posted.

Just checking in - I've had these XS strings on my F4 for 15 months and they still look and sound great.

I play at home only, around 20 mins a day. No audible dulling. No intonation issues.

Unlike Elixirs, no fraying around the picking area. Seriously impressed. I have 2 backup sets for whenever I might need them.
    Last edited by Bazz Jass; Oct-26-2022 at 3:23am.

For those of you who have weighed in here with positive comments on the XS strings: have you also tried the XTs and if so, how do they compare (and what is the basic difference)?

I play anywhere from 2-4 hours every day, and generally I get a little over a month out of mine. Very impressed with them.

14. The following members say thank you to Keith Witty for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by mikerofone View Post
    For those of you who have weighed in here with positive comments on the XS strings: have you also tried the XTs and if so, how do they compare (and what is the basic difference)?
    The technical difference has likely been covered somewhere here before. I’d be guessing to say which is which. I get more useful life from the XS set. (The XT set I had before were the 11.5s so not an apples-apples tone comparison. But even there I can’t find a fault with the XSs, though I’d like to see a real sale on them once in a while!)
    2018 Kentucky KM-950, 2017 Ellis A5 Deluxe

Wishing they would come out with these (or even XT) strings in light.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Platt View Post
    Wishing they would come out with these (or even XT) strings in light.
    Me too. I use XT mediums on my F style, and I'd like to put a set on my Flatiron too, which does best with light strings.
    I guess I'll just stay right here, pick and sing a while...
    2022 Morris F5 #482, 1995 Flatiron 2MB, 2013 Don Kawalek flat top, 2004 Eastman 805

Quietly Making Noise Dave Greenspoon's Avatar

Just got a set of XS today for the F-5. Had a set put on at Grey Fox and loved them.
    Axes: Eastman MD-515 & El Rey; Eastwood S Mandola
    Amps: Fishman Loudbox 100; Rivera Clubster Royale Recording Head & R212 cab; Laney Cub 10

19. The following members say thank you to Dave Greenspoon for this post:

I put on a set of XS on my Fern. I was worried they wouldn't be as good as the EXP-CM strings I used to use. To my surprise, I like them even better. Great strings. Wish they made them for mandola as well

21. The following members say thank you to McIrish for this post:

Resident Hack

I tried both and found the XS to be almost as good on my mando as monels. Seems this one just likes monels and heavier strings more than coated. I did not find the XT to be any better or worse than standard 74s (for me).

As far as detuning, I am in one band that plays a half-step down. This means most weeks I have to play in two different tunings. I have never broken a string on this mando (and I tried most of the recommended strings from this forum). Maybe it's just built right or maybe I'm just lucky. I can say it makes the strings age out faster. Makes total sense that constant raising and lowering the tension on the string is almost the equivalent of bending. Physics is a bear, sometimes.
    What I play
    2021 Skip Kelley Two-Point
    Eastwood 'Ricky'
    Morgan Monroe RT-1E
    Epiphone Genesis guitars
    Various Basses

I just have my first set of XS and really like them. I play them on a Northfield Artist 5 Bar, my ears say that the full and round sound of this mandolin is nicely accompanied by the brightness and clearness of the XS. They stay in tune ... better than XT, flatwounds or uncoated. Let's see if the high price is compensated by longer durability ...