Thread: Eastman Tailpiece Replacement Available for Free

Default Eastman Tailpiece Replacement Available for Free

I had an E string post on my Eastman 515 tailpiece snap off a few weeks back. Contacted Eastman (props to their customer service) and they sent a replacement which just arrived. I already installed a James, as I was gigging sooner than Eastman could ship, so I am posting this Eastman replacement for free (just arrange shipping) for anyone who needs one. Just shoot me a message if you find yourself in the same boat.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210917_104604.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	297.4 KB 
ID:	196335

Default Re: Eastman Tailpiece Replacement Available for Free

I went through the same experience (same model, same post) and they shipped me a new one, didn't even ask if I was the original owner. Of course it took a few weeks, coming from China. I have a James on my #1, they are the bee's knees.

Not sure about yours, but the 515 I inherited is a really loud mandolin. The E and A strings are very strong and full. Not subtle in any way but punching way above it's weight class.

Mine is decent in volume. Still hard to hear myself in a multi-banjo jam. After replacing the bridge and now the tail piece it is sounding pretty great. I need some fret work now and a good set up.

When the tailpiece on the MDC 805 mandocello I used to own let go, Eastman rep took one off a new instrument just shipped from China, and sent it to me as a replacement. It was an improved design, not likely to let go at the "hinge" like the old one.

They kept the de-tailpieced 'cello in stock until another tailpiece came in. I always cite this as an example of customer service going the extra mile for a customer.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

This thread is interesting to me for sure. I had an E string post snap off on my Eastman MD505 a few weeks ago. I called and talked to James and Dennis at TMS, and they arranged for Eastman to send me a new tailpiece. i think there must be a weakness in the design of the tailpiece since several of us had had the same (or similar) problem. I guess if the new one breaks, I should go with a James (not sure what a James is, but they must be good).

The new ones don't look a lot different from the one on my 2009 Eastman. I wonder what they changed? The metal? I know the plating changed on the 815 from "gold" to nickel, but I didn't think there was any other difference in the tailpiece throughout the line. Kind of disappointing, I'm sure!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7228.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	160.4 KB 
ID:	196350
    2009 Eastman MD815/V
    some home music videos