Thread: Help with EQ/Frequency Issue

Default Help with EQ/Frequency Issue

Currently working with an AT PRO 35 mic which is working a little too well. In addition to pickingup the mando clearly I am getting thumping sounds every time I hit the pickguard or even strings with a finger. It is distracting and not pleasant. If possible I would like to EQ out, or at least lessen, the thumping noise. Any idea what frequency I should try experimenting with?
    Working with a Bose Tonematch 8 for the mixer.
    Thanks Jim
    PS I know the best solution is not to hit anything with my fingers but bad habits are hard to break on short notice.

Default Re: Help with EQ/Frequency Issue

Good luck, if you figure that out let me know. I was excited when my new mixer included a real time analyzer so I could try to reduce that… and found that it was across a good portion of the spectrum, not a defined peak like I’d hoped.

Best solution for me was raising volume on the slider while reducing preamp gain. But still not perfect.

3. The following members say thank you to NDO for this post:

JimKo 

I suspect that the problem is not due to the mic itself but down to the physical transfer of vibrations passing through the mounting system - attach it to something other than the mandolin and see if it goes away. Similar, more expensive, mics of this type (I’m thinking particularly of the DPA) have an anti-vibration, suspension, system to minimise this problem.

The thump you can hear will be wide spectrum and therefore no amount of frequency filtration will remove it.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ray(T) For This Useful Post:

JimKoNevin 

Just wanted to say thanks for these helpful answers. Spent about an hour yesterday , before I read these, and tried to EQ out just about any individual frequency possible. Of course the results weren't good for the reason explained above. The best I could come up with was using the ToneMatch setting for "electric mandolin". I will try that at a gig tomorrow. If that doesn't work will look into a different mic set up. By the way, the worst setting I tried was for "accordion". Guess that might be a starter for a different thread.
    Jim

The lowest note on a mandolin is the open G at 196 Hz. Some of the thumping may be below that, so you could try a highpass EQ a little below that frequency instead of trying to target specific frequencies.

Otherwise I agree with the above comment that how you're mounting that mic is probably the main problem. I used a Pro 35 before getting a DPA 4099, and I clipped the alligator clamp to one of the Tone-Gard ribs on the back of the instrument, with the gooseneck reaching around the side to point at the bottom of the lower F-hole. The Tone-Gard kept it pretty well isolated from any handling noise on the instrument. You might be able to clip it somewhere else like the tailpiece with similar isolation.

there are multiband EQ to put in your signal chain to fine tune it .. 10, 12, 24 band , rack mount for the latter ..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture