Thread: The Ernst: 1920's attempt at more volume

Default The Ernst: 1920's attempt at more volume

Hi Folks,
    In the 20's, the quest for volume lead to a lot of innovation: horn violins (Stroh), cone resonators (Dopyera brother's National and Dobro brands), and funky built-in resonator designs (see the round-bodied wood-topped Paramount tenor harps, the Paramount "style L" tenor guitar, and similarly-designed Tieri mandolins).

I'm always on the lookout for these sorts of oddities, and I was fortunate to recently acquire a 1920's "The Ernst" mandolin, created by C. Hugo Ernst. Ernst, who built instruments near Camden, New Jersey, patented a mandolin and guitar design with a double chamber.

https://patents.google.com/patent/US1180991

I'm attaching a photo through the "extra" sound hole: it may not be obvious, but there is a wooden panel that is almost "suspended" under the main body of the instrument, creating two resonating chambers. The result is a fairly impressive boost in volume, and a unique vintage tone. Thought I'd share this bit of mandolin history.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1881.jpeg 
Views:	122 
Size:	351.3 KB 
ID:	196338Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1880.jpeg 
Views:	142 
Size:	450.0 KB 
ID:	196339Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1884.jpeg 
Views:	135 
Size:	583.4 KB 
ID:	196340

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mjbee For This Useful Post:

Default Re: The Ernst: 1920's attempt at more volume

So a double back with a separate sound hole for that lower chamber .. a novel build ..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Gelas in France developed a double-topped mandolin (as well as other stringed instruments); old thread on the subject.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Not so novel. I had a late 19th century Violin with an internal double sound board. Martin built the model America guitars with a secondary body. For this category we can also include the modern Kerman mandolins. Also virzi tone producers fall into this category as well. Joseph Bohmann installed brass rods inside his instruments to resonate with various frequencies. All these were attempts to enhance the sound of a stringed instrument.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Well my good friends here might cluck their tongues about it, but I think it's muy coolioso, novel or not.

Interesting that Ernst was from Camden, NJ between the Weymann (Philadelphia) and the Oscar Schmidt / Ciani / Ricca North Jersey orbits.

It has the gourd / melanzane shape and amorphous pick guard as a Ciani mandolin I have, likely from the same era.

Thanks for posting!

Please post more information, feedback and photos if you can.

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to brunello97 For This Useful Post:

Second soundboard suspended below the top of Ceccherini bowlbacks. Sort of an Italian super-Virzi. I don't think it produces more volume, but the tone becomes quite charmingly chime-like

9. The following members say thank you to Bob A for this post:

Selmer did a double back in the Jean Django Reinhardt Era .. too..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Might be a silly question, but, why the quest for volume in the 1920s? Larger audiences produced by fewer infant deaths and more leisure time? Just curious ...

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Bartl View Post
    Might be a silly question, but, why the quest for volume in the 1920s? Larger audiences produced by fewer infant deaths and more leisure time? Just curious ...
    One reason I've encountered: as jazz was becoming all the rage, string players needed ways to be heard among the horns. Or maybe there were just too many banjos around ...!

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mjbee For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by brunello97 View Post
    Well my good friends here might cluck their tongues about it
    No clucking, Mick. I am just fascinated by experimentation in music, successful or not. It is amazing how many variations of this theme. That is also why I am interested in patents. My fiddles are patented circa 1915 and though Not a double soundboard have unique construction and unique tone as well. I just acquired my fourth example currently ready from restoration when I return home at the end of this week.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

15. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by mandroid View Post
    Selmer did a double back in the Jean Django Reinhardt Era .. too..
    Yes! The Mario Maccaferri designed Selmer grande bouche had an internal sound reflector mounted on the back. However I think Django preferred the petit bouche for soloing and his rhythm guys played the other.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

17. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Bartl View Post
    Other examples of the "louder!" movement were resonator-backed banjos, the National/Dobro introduction of aluminum-cone resonator instruments, and, of course, the construction of larger guitars, both arch-top and flat-top.

The fact that one of Martin's up-sized instrument was the OM (Orchestra Model) might provide a clue. Of course, this was near the cusp of introduction of electric amplification, which tipped the balance forever (I'd guess) in the direction of string instruments, which work seamlessly with magnetic-pickup systems that make Jerry Garcia's guitar louder than the "76 Trombones" mass marching band.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to allenhopkins For This Useful Post: