Thread: Identify this wood?

Default Identify this wood?

On my recently acquired Tieri tenor guitar:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9521.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	558.4 KB 
ID:	196393

The description of this at vintageinstruments.com reads: tiger striped back of some exotic wood (perhaps Peruvian Mahogany?)

Anyone have a better idea of what this wood is?

Thanks for your help.

Joe

Default Re: Identify this wood?

Almost looks like "The Tree". "Mahogany" is a pretty ambiguous term still, but as fair a guess as any. Determining the exact species is beyond what anyone will be able to do from a Web picture.

Ken Parker's Lucky:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lucky_BackDetail.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	238.3 KB 
ID:	196409

I would have guessed it could even be dyed maple from your one picture. But I looked at others online, which I'm taking as a clue. They look like more typical mahogany grain than yours is.

Definitely not "The Tree"; I've handled approx. 100 sets from that tree and played about 30 guitars made from it.

Back in the day you could get them for dirt cheap- nobody was willing to pay $150 for a set of ANY mahogany when you could buy Brazilian rosewood for $75!
    www.condino.com

Crafted by hand in a workshop powered by the sun.

Thanks, Marty and J. Condino. Yeah, I guess that is it ... identified as Curly Mama Mahogany (whatever that is ... ) and not "The Tree" (unless I misunderstood) on the Ken Parker site. Parker identifies only the neck veneer (which he does not show) on his guitar as from The Tree. Great! Now I have a name to put to it should anyone inquire.

Oh yeah, I was just saying it looks like it is some species we'd call mahogany. I'd stick with "curly mahogany" and you're not going to raise any eyebrows.

6. The following members say thank you to Marty Jacobson for this post:

That guy playing mandolin

When you say, "The Tree," is this some magical king of mahoganies whose lore I should know?

Edit: Google apparently thinks so. https://acousticguitar.com/welcome-to-the-jungle/
    The Loar LM 310f
    Vangoa A Acoustic

I enjoy walking barefoot and playing my mandolin, and if I can do both at once, you'd be hard pressed to find a happier soul.