Thread: Focal Point Presents | Mike Compton + Joe Newberry

Default Focal Point Presents | Mike Compton + Joe Newberry

Bumped into this on the interweb the other day. Not nearly enough views, so I figured I would share here. Just some great old and new tunes picked by two aces.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=t62VYtY47J8&feature=share

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Poa_Pratensis For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Focal Point Presents | Mike Compton + Joe Newberry

Hi,

Watched the whole thing last night. Great musicians and entertainers. My favourite was Silvertone Blues which I had never heard before.

Thanks for posting.

Regards,

Thanks for the video link. Mike played that Model 4 all Monroe Camp last week. An amazing mandolin that held up just fine amidst all the fine F5's.
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Don Grieser For This Useful Post:

Indeed it is. Between the “muse” that visited him during the pandemic and newfound inspiration from “Red” I am very excited to see where he takes things during this next chapter in his career. I think we will hear some cool new stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Grieser View Post
    Thanks for the video link. Mike played that Model 4 all Monroe Camp last week. An amazing mandolin that held up just fine amidst all the fine F5's.
    I guess he wasn't playing it that much before since the tuners didn't work too good (what he said in the video above). I wonder if Gilchrist made that one with the super hard maple like he made his Model 1s with? It's such a killer mando!

From a 2010 Mandolin Cafe interview with MC:

“I almost forgot with all this talk of F5's that I also own #565, a sugar maple and red spruce Gilchrist F4. It has the same V neck shape as the F5's and basically the same woods as the F5's, but the oval hole. Scott Tichenor calls it "the hog." It's one of the few F4's I've played that can hold its own in a bluegrass ensemble. It does take some getting used to because the notes don't shoot out of an F4 like they do an F5; you sort of have to wait on 'em, but tonally, I think the F4 fills airspace better than any of the F5's I've had. The one-piece maple back on it comes from a tree that came off of Sigourney Weaver's property someplace. All the mandos I've had have flat fingerboards.”

9. The following members say thank you to Poa_Pratensis for this post:

I spent some time playing that F4 this past weekend. One of the finest mandolins I’ve ever played. Just exceptional in every way!

Thanks for posting the video. Can’t wait to dig into it.

Mike told me at Monroe Camp about the resurrection of Red by Hugh Hansen. It got a total going over besides the tuners including new frets and setup. He said it came back better than new and he hasn't been able to put it down. He said the F5's have been in their cases which is too bad because his Gil F5 is probably the best one out there. I can tell you from sitting in his classes that Red is one powerful mandolin. There was no question what he was playing to the class.
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Don Grieser For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Don Grieser View Post
    Mike told me at Monroe Camp about the resurrection of Red by Hugh Hansen. It got a total going over besides the tuners including new frets and setup. He said it came back better than new and he hasn't been able to put it down. He said the F5's have been in their cases which is too bad because his Gil F5 is probably the best one out there. I can tell you from sitting in his classes that Red is one powerful mandolin. There was no question what he was playing to the class.
    Thanks, Don. It‘s look almost like a new mandolin. I was asking myself if he got a new gil.

Hugh is the guy to go to to work on Gils.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."