Thread: Some Real Music - Sierra Ferrell

Default Some Real Music - Sierra Ferrell

Just wanted to share this as there is something refreshing about it. Her approach reminds me a little of Shannon Whitworth of the old Bisquit Burners band. Yes, there is a mandolin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tl5mdG_IvGE

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JimKo For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Some Real Music - Sierra Ferrell

I saw here here this summer at our festival. They were great!

Quote Originally Posted by JimKo View Post
    Just wanted to share this as there is something refreshing about it. Her approach reminds me a little of Shannon Whitworth of the old Bisquit Burners band. Yes, there is a mandolin.

That’s Nate Leath on a John Hamlett F5 in that video. Nate is an awesome musician, particularly on the fiddle. He and Audrey MacAlpine, the bassist, played with Sierra Ferrell for a number of years, but unfortunately now she’s hit the big(ish) time, they are no longer in her band. Her loss, IMHO.

Pete

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mando Mafia For This Useful Post:

Thought the mando sounded really nice.

She sounds great. Thanks for posting.

Yes... currently Joshua Rilko is playing with her. He's a special player as well!

She was a fixture on the street in the French Quarter for several years, but that's not what this is. Some of the French quarter stuff is R rated.

10. The following members say thank you to lowtone2 for this post:

Blog Entries

Nice!

John Hamlett sent me that video when I asked him if he knew of any Hamlett recordings I could lust overview while mine was being made. She's great, and so is that mandolin!
    Hamlett Two-Point
    Eastman MD805
    Schertler DYN-M + Yellow
    http://www.youtube.com/ktbriggs
    https://www.facebook.com/kevin.briggs.1213

Quote Originally Posted by JimKo View Post

Hallelujah, hallelujah!! I have so much missed the sounds of the Biscuit Burners band, and now comes along Ms. Ferrell. Soooooooooo good, and soooooooo real. This is what true country music should sound like, but doesn't. It's kind of a shame that Nate and Audrey are no longer with her, because they are an awesome trio. Nevertheless, her voice is like a tucked-away stream in the Great Smokey Mountains--nature's pure sound. After I post this, I am going to download her album. But what a voice; wow!! And it certainly does remind me of Shannon Whitworth and the Biscuit Burners; man, they were awesome.
    Old Dog Dave: Do the best you can, as long as you can, and all the rest is gravy.

1918 Gibson A Oval hole
    2004 Gibson F9
    2004 Gibson A9
    Weber Gallatin A
    Bruhn double-point
    The Epiphone MM-30
    Dillion Electric (Rickenbacker style)

She's amazing, and there are tons of videos on youtube to prove it. I don't want to sound a negative note, but I wish the good folks at Rounder had just recorded her Lomax-style. I find the gussied up production less appealing. But that's my aesthetic. She writes good songs, her phrasing is remarkable, her voice is really a rare treat, and she's good weird.
    If you haven't already, check out Western AF and Gems on VHS. She's not the only young one out there doing amazing stuff right now.

JD, I am with you on having her recorded Lomax-style. While she can do so many things with her music, her voice is so very evocative of the great traditional voices in Americana. I remember, too, that when I first heard the Biscuit Burners I was absolutely floored by the voices and felt like "Yeah, the past is back!" So, too, with Sierra Ferrell. At my age (74), it is truly a joy when a young singer/musician comes along that evokes the past so well. It gives me hope that traditional and true Americana will continue well beyond my years to come.
    Old Dog Dave: Do the best you can, as long as you can, and all the rest is gravy.

1918 Gibson A Oval hole
    2004 Gibson F9
    2004 Gibson A9
    Weber Gallatin A
    Bruhn double-point
    The Epiphone MM-30
    Dillion Electric (Rickenbacker style)

I don't play mandolin. I'm the same user name at the Telecaster forum, TDPRI. I just now registered on MandoCafe to say: Mandolin, of all the instruments, focuses a song of tender sentiments really well, maybe the best. Do you agree?

I suggest mandolinist Josh Rilko and singer/guitarist Sierra Ferrell cover this ballad of Tish Hinojosa's. It's is just begging for mandolin, don't you agree? (there's fiddle fills and solo in Tish Hinojosa's original):

https://youtu.be/Fi167_VRVUM

At this stage of her career Sierra Ferrell, I realize, is likely being SWAMPED with suggestions of songs to record. btw Tish Hnojosa and Sierra Ferrell, both Rounder Records artists. If collaboration is any measure, Sierra Ferrell has Marty Stuart's approval. And Sierra Hull's, photo of Sierra Hull and Sierra Ferrell from Sierra Hull's FB. I think the puppy is Sierra Ferrell's "Baker" :-) not 100% sure https://scontent-dfw5-1.xx.fbcdn.net...jw&oe=657A47D6
    Last edited by billy logan; Dec-09-2023 at 12:58pm. Reason: to ID people in the linked-to photo

16. The following members say thank you to billy logan for this post:

Joe K 

I love Sierra Ferrell, old stuff and new - she gets a lot of air time in our house and cars!

I've just recently discovered Sierra Ferrell and have become a big fan fast. Love her voice and vibe. I found her by watching a lot of those "Gems on VHS" videos and she has been my favorite out of them so far.

She and her band are great! I just stumbled on them on an episode of "The Cavern Sessions" on PBS. I need to check out much more!

Yes "The Cavern Sessions" video of Sierra Ferrell is so well done and has great sound :-)

Another real good recording on YouTube is from the Nelsonville (Ohio) Music Festival: 2023 NMF Sycamore Sessions, uploader WOUBPBS, Ohio University radio.
    https://youtu.be/spHoixofvso?t=19

Guess who plays mandolin too? Little ol' Sierra Ferrell :-)
    https://youtu.be/y3yqR09Cao4?list=RDMM
    Last edited by billy logan; Dec-09-2023 at 7:12pm. Reason: punctuation

Wow.
    New to me.
    Reminds me of Maria Muldaur.
    Bren

I'm late to this thread, but let me second (or third, or twelfth) some love for Sierra Farrell's music. She's a terrific singer, and she's developing a great set or original songs.