Thread: Where can I find arrangements of Dowland for mandolin?

Default Where can I find arrangements of Dowland for mandolin?

In the most recent CMSA's Mandolin Journal, Robert Margo has an article about David Braid which includes info about Mr. Braid's mandolin arrangement of Dowland's "Lachrimae". I've since obtained this and though my "performance" of it will never leave my kitchen, it's got me interested in finding printed music of other Dowland arrangements for mandolin. Are there any collections of such available? I would even be interested in substantial sound recordings of such ...

Apologies if I've overlooked a previous posting addressing this.

Thanks for your help.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Where can I find arrangements of Dowland for mandolin?

Joe Brent and Alon Sariel have an album "John Dowland: An Englishman in New York" you can find Joe on Instagram and FB (I believe). You might get some help from him.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

3. The following members say thank you to JEStanek for this post:

Not sure about specific mandolin arrangements of Dowland music, but there are a large number of sources with good modern typesetting that can be played with no or minimal adaptation as mandolin ensemble pieces.

Sources I have used to play Dowland pieces are:

Steve Hendricks' Music Collection: Steve has about 50 pieces by Dowland, mostly for consort of 4 or 5 instruments. One piece (Doulands Almain) is arranged as a duet which works fine on two mandolins, or OM/mandocello/mandola/guitar for the second voice (a very old recording of mine is here). I have also recorded Steve's arrangements of Lachrimae Pavan and Semper Dowland Semper Dolens as mandolin quartets, also many years ago.

Albert Folop was the arranger of a very large number of renaissance and early baroque pieces for the Viola da Gamba Society, all arranged for various groups of viols. His arrangements are now part of IMSLP (via the Icking Music Archive). The arrangements include parts in multiple alternative clefs as well as source files that you can edit if you can find an app that read this old format. All translates nicely to mandolin ensembles. There are 21 arrangements of Dowland pieces by Folop. The index is here:

http://icking-music-archive.org/Folop/Dowland-58.php

Finally, I downloaded the attached settings of seven of Dowland's pavans many years ago -- no idea if they're still online somewhere. These are arranged as duets of one treble and one alto instrument (playing an octave lower than notated). If you want to play them on two mandolins, transpose the second part down by an octave.

Martin
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dowland viole 2.pdf   dowland viole 1.pdf  

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Martin Jonas For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Jonas View Post

Steve Hendricks' Music Collection: Steve has about 50 pieces by Dowland, mostly for consort of 4 or 5 instruments. One piece (Doulands Almain) is arranged as a duet which works fine on two mandolins, or OM/mandocello/mandola/guitar for the second voice (a very old recording of mine is here).
    I've now made a new recording of this Dowland almaine (actually, it's a combination of two separate almaines -- see attached score).

1898 Giuseppe Vinaccia mandolin
    Vintage Viaten tenor guitar

Martin
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails almain2.pdf  

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Martin Jonas For This Useful Post:

Thanks, Jamie, for the the notice of the Brent/Sariel album. I've order the last copy(!) of the CD from Amazon. I'll contact Brent/Sariel for more information. Sariel was at the CMSA annual a couple of years ago ... great player.

And Martin, always a wealth of info from you! I've gone to the places you've suggested and downloaded a number of the arrangements. Thanks for the new recording of the Dowland almaine and the score. I knew it was not for nothing that I recently bought a tenor guitar! I am just beginning to explore the possibilities of performing ensemble music solo via Audacity -- something to enjoy in the coming cold midwinter ... Meanwhile, I've just hit the Play All button on the YouTube Uploads from mj10008 page, so you'll be spending the afternoon at my place.

Joe

9. The following members say thank you to Joe Bartl for this post:

Blog Entries

The recording Jamie references above, announced in our news area in 2014, has links to purchase point.

Name:  anenglishmaninlondon.jpg
Views: 739
Size:  33.3 KB

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mandolin Cafe For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

I have been playing out of David Nadal's voice and guitar transcription of "John Dowland's Lute Songs"

He gives a voice line which is single note melody and very straight forward, a guitar (with modified tuning) line, which a guitar player friend of mine says is uncomfortable but once used to it also very straight forward, and then a lute tablature line about which I cannot comment.

Great good fun.

I love the OP's idea of performances that will never leave the kitchen. A lot of music in my own life fits that description rather aptly.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

13. The following members say thank you to JeffD for this post:

Thanks, JeffD. These are now in my abebooks cart! I hope "shows consistent use" doesn't mean "too much beer spilled on the pages."

Joe

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Bartl View Post
    Thanks, JeffD. These are now in my abebooks cart! I hope "shows consistent use" doesn't mean "too much beer spilled on the pages."
    Yea, if there is any spillage I want to do it myself, darn it! Page 40 of the first book has a fantastic coffee circle on it, due to many hours working with my guitar friend on the piece there: Come Again. One of my all time favorites.

All the night
    My sleeps are full of dreams,
    My eyes are full of streams.
    My heart takes no delight
    To see the fruits and joys that some do find
    And mark the storms are me assign'd.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

16. The following members say thank you to JeffD for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Bartl View Post
    In the most recent CMSA's Mandolin Journal, Robert Margo has an article about David Braid which includes info about Mr. Braid's mandolin arrangement of Dowland's "Lachrimae". I've since obtained this and though my "performance" of it will never leave my kitchen, it's got me interested in finding printed music of other Dowland arrangements for mandolin. Are there any collections of such available? I would even be interested in substantial sound recordings of such ...

Apologies if I've overlooked a previous posting addressing this.

Thanks for your help.
    https://musescore.com/jahe_or_make_i...wland-lachimae my arrangement

just add or arrange mandolin. Download is free. Best wishes
    https://imslp.org/wiki/Category:Dowland,_John plenty more
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMSLP209798-WIMA.7a43-Dowland-Tristes-Score.pdf  
    Last edited by Werner Jaekel; Nov-09-2021 at 7:10am.

18. The following members say thank you to Werner Jaekel for this post: