Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tuner Recommendations

Default Tuner Recommendations

I am looking for a tuner that shows the octave, not just the h.z. Do y'all have any recommendations?
    Thanks!
    (I am learning to read music notation and want to more easily translate octave notation on the fretboard)

Registered User Charlie Bernstein's Avatar

Default Re: Tuner Recommendations

Peterson makes good tuners. You might browse their site to see if anything fills the bill: Peterson tuners
    Gibson A-Junior snakehead (Keep on pluckin'!)

3. The following members say thank you to Charlie Bernstein for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Em Tee View Post
    I am looking for a tuner that shows the octave, not just the h.z. Do y'all have any recommendations?
    Thanks!
    (I am learning to read music notation and want to more easily translate octave notation on the fretboard)
    A tuner that tells witch octave the note is in? From low to high, through all the octaves? Probably not available for a clip on tuner. But Charlie on post No. 2 has found some great tuners for sale at Peterson. Tuners where they have a clip on strobe tuner which may suit your needs. Thanks for the tip Charlie.

5. The following members say thank you to Hudmister for this post:

I come from the heady days of the tuning fork and don’t think I’ve ever seen one. You could buy a piano ...... but you’ll need to get it tuned!

7. The following members say thank you to Ray(T) for this post:

Peterson are fantastic when it comes to tuners. Highly recommended. The stroboclip does not show the octave however.

Not sure how one would use a tuna' fork to tune a mandolin, but I hear banjo players find them quite handy for the job. You'll risk getting a nasty fishy smell all over your beloved mando though.

9. The following members say thank you to Roman Kuznetsov for this post:

I have an app on my Android phone which has all sorts of facilities, including indicating the octave as well as the note. It has strobe tuning, manual tuning and lots of different instrument settings. Does a lot more than I need and is free or there is a pro version. Called Guitar and Violin Tuner and I think it comes from A4tune Labs.
    I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order. - Eric Morecambe

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheOldBores

Quote Originally Posted by Roman Kuznetsov View Post
    Peterson are fantastic when it comes to tuners. Highly recommended. The stroboclip does not show the octave however.

Not sure how one would use a tuna' fork to tune a mandolin, but I hear banjo players find them quite handy for the job. You'll risk getting a nasty fishy smell all over your beloved mando though.

“Tuning” - tuna comes from the fishmongers in these parts although I was sad to find that the fishmongers and adjoining eat-in/take-away in Kirkcudbright has now closed down.

I use the Peterson iStobosoft app for all my tuning needs-- it shows the octave.

Quote Originally Posted by amowry View Post
    I use the Peterson iStobosoft app for all my tuning needs-- it shows the octave.
    I use the same app.
    The first man who whistled
    thought he had a wren in his mouth.
    He went around all day
    with his lips puckered,
    afraid to swallow.

--"The First" by Wendell Berry

Blog Entries

Peterson gives me great accuracy. I had to get used to it because it doesn't get close and give you the green light. I do use the quick Snark tuners too, which gets it close enough. You have to do a bit more ear correction with the Snark, but it is plenty in itself. With mandolin having the high tension, doubled courses, it makes sense to have the Peterson's ability to fine-tune without guessing. Great plus-- it is set up to tune to the type of instrument-- i.e., a guitar's pitches are a bit different due to fret location, construction difference, where the mandolin setting is in the sweet spot for it. More learning but now I wouldn't change it. For performing, the Snark is arguably a better way to go. For restringing, intonating your bridge, and practice, the Peterson is my preference.
    2014 BRW F5 #114
    2022 Kentucky KM 950 Master Model

YouTube Original Recording of My composition "Closer Walk"

Quote Originally Posted by lflngpicker View Post
    For restringing, intonating your bridge, and practice, the Peterson is my preference.
    I am either blessed or cursed, depending on how you want to look at it, with acute hearing. I don't have perfect pitch or anything like that but I really notice when tuning is "off" sounding. And I am always playing alone at home so I notice every little thing with no distractions.

Unfortunately I am not blessed with good playing technique so even an perfectly in-tune mandolin usually doesn't sound too great. But I use the iStrobosoft app to at least give me a starting point that sounds good...before I screw it up with my fingers of stone!

Sometimes I'll be plugging along on one of my slow fiddle tunes and won't realize my wife is listening from the next room. I'll stop for about the third time and tweak a tuning knob a hair and she'll yell, "It sounds fine just keep playing". Having a spouse with less than perfect hearing is a good thing, I suppose.
    The first man who whistled
    thought he had a wren in his mouth.
    He went around all day
    with his lips puckered,
    afraid to swallow.

--"The First" by Wendell Berry

Quote Originally Posted by Ray(T) View Post
    “Tuning” - tuna comes from the fishmongers in these parts although I was sad to find that the fishmongers and adjoining eat-in/take-away in Kirkcudbright has now closed down.
    Hmmm. That might explain why them banjos never sound quite right.

Registered User Charlie Bernstein's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Roman Kuznetsov View Post

U. Utah Phillips said he almost bought a Mercury once, but it had fish in it.
    Gibson A-Junior snakehead (Keep on pluckin'!)

He also invested all his money in toilet paper and revolving doors, but was wiped out before he could turn around.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

19. The following members say thank you to allenhopkins for this post:

Useful if you have Albacore strings.

21. The following members say thank you to Richard500 for this post:

Received my Stroboclip two days ago and I really am impressed with it and the sweeteners that it offers. This tuner is much more precise than what I have been using. Watching the strobe move makes tuning seem more intuitive and for the guitar the GTR sweetener makes a positive difference. There is also a mandolin sweetener which results in perfectly tuned and voiced string pairs. I've known for a long time that the Snark tuner needed additional tuning assistance by ear to really dial in the tuning but the strobe is far and away more sensitive and accurate. It does not tell the octave you are in but for mandolin this is of no consequence.

I have the new Stroboplus HDC en route to me. I’ll post my impression of it after I receive it, which is scheduled for tomorrow.

I like and use the vintage Seiko tuners (900) from the 90s with a needle indicator...and I will also use the smaller Seiko digital tuners (501 )...and the 800 series with the rubber corners ..all very accurate...the seiko 767 tuners are to sensitive for me ....but a very good tuner.....I also use a wire clip with all of them when possible....yeah old school

You do impressions of tuners ?

Dave H
    Eastman 615 mandola
    2011 Weber Bitteroot A5
    2012 Weber Bitteroot F5
    Eastman MD 915V
    Gibson F9
    2016 Capek ' Bob ' standard scale tenor banjo
    Ibanez Artist 5 string
    2001 Paul Shippey oval hole

Bottom line: 100% reliable A440 tuning fork ... touch the bridge after you get it ringing..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

For those new to the thread and not reading the original post, I'm looking for tuners that show the octave. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by mandroid View Post
    Bottom line: 100% reliable A440 tuning fork ... touch the bridge after you get it ringing..
    Bottom line: not at all as quick or convenient as an electronic tuner.
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

Question Re: Tuner Recommendations

8va? that's 12th fret .. .. may I recommend tuning to an electronic Piano . Many Octaves there,,
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Another vote for the Peterson iStroboSoft app. Does a nice job showing which octave it is picking up.

To not add anything Korg Sledgehammer Pro tuner comes packaged in what is known as a "can of tuner".

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Can of Tuner.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	100.7 KB 
ID:	196696

It does not show octaves but does have both strobe and half strobe settings.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

I have the new Peterson HDC tuner. I don’t know if this is answers your question, but I get a different number when I play the low string and it’s octave counterpart on my 12-string Taylor guitar. See pics.

However, even the Peterson app can be set to display Hz.
    Last edited by GChris; Oct-06-2021 at 5:41pm.

32. The following members say thank you to GChris for this post: