Thread: Pick for Classical Music

Blog Entries

Default Pick for Classical Music

I am a new player and I have fallen in love with the sound of classical music on the mandolin. I have decided that this is the route that I want to follow with the mandolin.
    I have not seen much need for chords at this level and I am having a difficult time finding that perfect pick.

I am curious as to which pick classical players are using. Any help would be appreciated.
    Northfield Calhoun Mandolin
    Eastman MD505 Mandolin
    Seagull S8 Mandolin
    Godin A8 Mandolin

Fishman Loudbox Mini
    Blue Chip Picks

Wayne

Default Re: Pick for Classical Music

The English virtuoso Simon Mayor plays everything from classical to bluegrass with the same pick. Makes sense to me, I couldn't tell you what it is mind.

Dave H
    Eastman 615 mandola
    2011 Weber Bitteroot A5
    2012 Weber Bitteroot F5
    Eastman MD 915V
    Gibson F9
    2016 Capek ' Bob ' standard scale tenor banjo
    Ibanez Artist 5 string
    2001 Paul Shippey oval hole

Likes quaint instruments poul hansen's Avatar

I'm just beginning classical but like the sound of a PTFE/teflon pick on Aquila Nylgut strings on my Mandolinetto.

It takes the shrillness out of the mandolin and sounds softer.
    Kentucky KM-805..........2 Hora M1086 Portuguese II(1 in car)
    Hora M1088 Mandola.....
    Richmond RMA-110..... .Noname Bearclaw
    Pochette Franz Janisch...5 Pocket............Alfredo Privitera pocket
    Puglisi Pocket 1908........Puglisi 1912.......Puglisi 1917
    3 Mandolinetto ..............C.Garozzo
    1 Mandriola...................Cannelo G. Mandriola...Böhm Waldzither 1921
    Johs Møller 1945............Luigi Embergher Studio 1933
    Marma Seashell back......Luigi Embergher 5bis 1909

Playing on the porch

I am an old violinist who discovered the mandolin about 4.5 years ago. Right now, I am happy with the CT-55 picks, although I am always ready to find something even nicer. My favorite strings for classical music are the Thomastik Infeld M154. Both the pick and the strings are expensive, but I am happy with the combination.

Have fun!
    ---
    2021 Ellis F5 Special #564 mandolin
    1928 Roth violin
    2016 Eastman MD515 mandolin
    1907 Foltz violin

Wayne-

Are you wanting to learn Classical Mandolin...or play Classical music on your mandolin? There is a difference and might mean a different pick for you.

Really...any pick that sounds good and let's you do what you want is the pick you should use!

But if you are wanting to dive into the Classical Mandolin...and those specific techniques...most would suggest a pick with more of a point. That's all I use now - even for Celtic, Old time, and Bluegrass.
    KristinEliza

Facebook

6. The following members say thank you to KristinEliza for this post:

I use Blue Chip TD35 and/or TD40 for classical, but I have used Jazz picks too. Basically any pointed pick will work. I prefer a thinner pick in general, but particularly for classical.

8. The following members say thank you to LadysSolo for this post:

Wayne: I saw your post on FB for this topic. I will repeat here: even narrowed down to classical players you will find a wide range of opinions. If you want t narrow down at all pick a school of mandolin playing: Germans prefer small rubbery Woll picks vs. Italians Dogal pointy ones, etc.

On the other hand I would just accumulate a pile of picks and play around with them to see what works for you. Also, bear in mind that you might want a different pick depending on the piece you are playing.

On the third hand if you find a strictly classical teacher he/she might recommend a particular pick depending on the techniques they teach. They may also prescibe strings and even a particular mandolin.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jim Garber For This Useful Post:

For what it's worth, I've tried a lot of picks but for my bowlbacks I keep coming back to the same choice, which fortunately is both very cheap and super easy to find: Jim Dunlop nylon guitar picks, 0.88mm (the dark grey ones). It has the right mix of rigidity and flexibility for me, half way between the thin pointy Italian ones which allow precise picking but give a bright trebly tone which I don't like and the rubber German Wolle picks which I find too imprecise and mushy in tone. It's a very personal choice -- others may differ.

Martin

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hanson View Post
    The English virtuoso Simon Mayor plays everything from classical to bluegrass with the same pick. Makes sense to me, I couldn't tell you what it is mind.

Dave H
    According to his "Mandolin Tutor" book, Simon uses a standard Fender medium teardrop guitar pick. A lot thinner than most mandolin players, especially on the f-hole archtops he plays. The book is quite old now, though, and he may have changed.

Martin

13. The following members say thank you to Martin Jonas for this post:

Back in my old mandolin orchestra days, there was only one pick to use on the mandolin parts (maybe 'dolas too) it was a Pettini pick.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PetPick.JPG 
Views:	59 
Size:	100.0 KB 
ID:	196562

Good luck trying to find some, but start with the Providence Mandolin Orchestra if interested.

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL

15. The following members say thank you to lenf12 for this post:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	three picks.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	96.2 KB 
ID:	196563
    Here are three that I am using: The Red Bear Neapolitan is a light gauge. The Apollo pick was designed to "Eugene's" specifications. The third is a Wolle pick from Germany. I am a novice at this.

17. The following members say thank you to Brian560 for this post:

Blog Entries

I like these PickBoy 0.75 mm picks. Thin and pointy, to bring out all those scintillating highs the mandolin is capable of.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4183DwbCELL__SY300_.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	13.0 KB 
ID:	196567  
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

19. The following members say thank you to JeffD for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Jonas View Post
    For what it's worth, I've tried a lot of picks but for my bowlbacks I keep coming back to the same choice, which fortunately is both very cheap and super easy to find: Jim Dunlop nylon guitar picks, 0.88mm (the dark grey ones). It has the right mix of rigidity and flexibility for me, half way between the thin pointy Italian ones which allow precise picking but give a bright trebly tone which I don't like and the rubber German Wolle picks which I find too imprecise and mushy in tone. It's a very personal choice -- others may differ.

Martin
    And that bright tone with precise picking is why I use a sharp pointed Ultex/Ultem .73mm pick.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    I like these PickBoy 0.75 mm picks. Thin and pointy, to bring out all those scintillating highs the mandolin is capable of.
    I have used them, and still do - but mostly it's the .73 Ultem sharps.

21. The following members say thank you to DavidKOS for this post: