(Now on Shopgoodwill)
    When the expedient is a bridge too far
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9D613976-E238-4E58-966D-718BE79614C0.jpeg 
Views:	124 
Size:	940.4 KB 
ID:	196564

Default Re: When the expedient

I'm surprised they didn't use at least a few the slots they already had.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

3. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

Blog Entries

Heck, why didn't I think of that? A tongue in groove bridge. And take a good look at that dowelrod nut.
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

Appears to be hardwood flooring scrap. I have a few yards if anyone wants some.
    Girouard A
    Silverangel A
    Eastman 615

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Don't mean to put you on the spot, Richard, but curiosity is getting the better of me ... I just couldn't help noticing, you used "expedient" in two posts back to back yesterday, evn this thread title. Was that the word of the day? It's a fine word, I just don't see it all that often - apart from my own expedient use of it.

Also, are there other views of this, esp. the back? Can't help wondering if the seller made expedient use of other found materials there.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Maybe the photo was to show the profile of the kerf cuts on the board and they needed something to keep the piece in place due to high winds…
    I used my wall to hold it in place for this photoClick image for larger version. 

Name:	955B6044-D331-4BEB-BE51-DF71F9899262.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	411.1 KB 
ID:	196573
    I still need to attach trim!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B03C4886-90AB-4AF5-A6BA-CC52AE1641C5.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	352.2 KB 
ID:	196572  
    2007 Weber Custom Elite "old wood"
    2017 Ratliff R5 Custom #1148
    Several nice old Fiddles
    2007 Martin 000-15S 12 fret Auditorium-slot head
    Deering Classic Open Back
    Too many microphones

BridgerCreekBoys.com

Quote Originally Posted by journeybear View Post
    Don't mean to put you on the spot, Richard, but curiosity is getting the better of me ... I just couldn't help noticing, you used "expedient" in two posts back to back yesterday, evn this thread title. Was that the word of the day? It's a fine word, I just don't see it all that often - apart from my own expedient use of it.
    Well, guilty of lack of variety, but that particular word bubbles up a lot when I read posts implying undue fixation with what seem to me to be unimportant issues in equipment. But I’m an amateur in all dimensions of the mando world, and have certainly done things, including several bridges, that would not be considered proper practice. When I lived in Texas, where vocabulary is limited by law, the word was ‘agricultural’, even though, as we all know, farmers are multiply-skilled improvisors in order to exist at all.
    The rest of that mandolin was not notable. I do like the dowel nut. If it was slightly cam-shaped and had place to apply pliers, we could have an adjustable height nut to go along with Loar’s adjustable bridge.
    Last edited by MikeEdgerton; Sep-28-2021 at 7:51pm. Reason: Fixed quote syntax

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

That's fine, no big deal. As an unreformed former editor my eyes and mind pick up on such things. Come from years of dealing with writers who would become enamored of a word somehow and start using it way too much - and often incorrectly - and I'd have to either get them to rewrite their piece or fix it myself, often running afoul of their pride in the process. This wasn't that - nowhere even close - but as I said, I couldn't help noticing. No worries.

This does seem to be the work of someone who was either expedient or apathetic - or both. Just used whatever was handy and didn't care to take the time or put in the effort to do what's right. Well, it's good for a chuckle. And if the instrument were good enough otherwise and not commanding a high price, it might be a good acquisition. Once a couple of fixes were made, natch.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!