Thread: Mandolin, mandola and guitar trio sheet music

Default Mandolin, mandola and guitar trio sheet music

Can anyone recommend music at intermediate and advanced levels for a mandolin, mandola and guitar trio? Are there any obvious websites that are a good source for this music? Thanks for any help. Rob

Default Re: Mandolin, mandola and guitar trio sheet music

The lack of response to this request might be a good indication that this is not a common trio. I searched the proper subject heading at the Library of Congress (Plucked instrument trios (Guitar, mandola, mandolin)) and found only 4 hits for printed music. In what is probably the world's largest bibliographic database, WorldCat.org, you'll find only 5 hits for printed music containing this subject heading (and four of those will have been from LC).

Having cataloged several hundred mandolin trios from the golden age for the Library, I can tell you that you'll have far better luck searching music for 2 mandolins and guitar ((Plucked instrument trios (Guitar, mandolins)) which yields 347 hits. At WorldCat.org, 384 hits ... which, again, include the 347 hits from LC. Of course, you can adapt one of the mandolin parts for mandola.

Sadly, the Library of Congress hasn't digitized these scores, merely cataloged them. But looking through the cataloged records might give you some hints about what to look for elsewhere ... maybe.

Have you tried searching IMSLP, which does have digitized scores?

3. The following members say thank you to Joe Bartl for this post:

"Can anyone recommend music at intermediate and advanced levels for a mandolin, mandola and guitar trio? Are there any obvious websites that are a good source for this music? Thanks for any help. Rob"

Hi Rob,

The Hampton Trio, of which I (Robert Margo, mandola) am a member (the others are Beverly Davis, guitar, and Mark Davis, mandolin -- Mark may have been in touch with your privately, not sure) specialize in music for this combination of instruments. You can hear some of our repertoire in this video concert.

Our ensemble was inspired by the Trio Nuovo, led the great Japanese mandolinist, Michiko Kataoka. Scores for two of their arrangements (mandolin, mandola, guitar) of Japanese folk music, both of the highest quality, can be found on Michiko’s website (scroll down the page).

As Joe’s post suggests, original music for mandolin, mandola, and guitar is not common. Arguably the best historical piece is Carlo Munier’s “Trio Originale, Op. 156” which he published in a version for mandolin, mandola, and guitar (you can find this on IMSLP). Another excellent original piece is Eileen Pakenham, “Trio Albeniz” (published, but long OOP). There are a few others (PM me if you are interested). Various composers (e.g. Vincent Beer-Demander, John Goodin, Joel Hobbs, Mark Linkins) have written/arranged pieces for us. Another source of repertoire that can sometimes be adapted is that for bandurria, laud, and guitar. We have had success, for example, arranging various such works by the early 20th century Spanish composer Angel Barrios.

Lastly, as Joe suggests, there is the repertoire for two mandolins and guitar, which is vast and, IMHO, often sounds better when the second mandolin part is played on mandola (NOTE: by this I mean the octave instrument, which I use for almost all the music that Hampton plays). Here, a good example is Yasuo Kuwahara’s “Theme and Variations from Weaving Girl” (published by Trekel); another is Olof Näslund, “Trio” (published by Pan Verlag). You can also start with music for romantic quartet (M1, M2, mandola, guitar) or mandolin and piano, and with some creative re-arranging, come up with successful trio versions – this works well with Calace, for example, and similar Italian music.
    Robert A. Margo

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to margora For This Useful Post:

There are a number of trios composed in the early 19th century for flute, viola and guitar. These would transfer easily to your instrumentation. I seem to recall playing (long ago) guitar on works for that combination by Molino, Matiegka, von Call and others. (Actually two trios by Matiegka, to one of which Schubert added a cello part, thus giving us the "Schubert guitar quartet".) Zimmermann was the main publisher of this repertoire. There are a few 20th century pieces as well, with Doblinger among the publishers. Hope this helps!

7. The following members say thank you to Bruce Clausen for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Bartl View Post
    The lack of response to this request might be a good indication that this is not a common trio.
    Indeed!

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Clausen View Post
    There are a number of trios composed in the early 19th century for flute, viola and guitar. These would transfer easily to your instrumentation.
    great idea.

another possibility is the Ballo Liscio trios for 2 mandolins and guitar on this thread:

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/t...io-sheet-music

The guitar parts are fairly basic, but could be embellished, and I assume the viola player can read treble clef and play the 2nd mandolin parts.

"There are a number of trios composed in the early 19th century for flute, viola and guitar. These would transfer easily to your instrumentation."

The assumption here is that "mandola" means "mandola in C" tuned like the viola, which is not necessarily the case, if the OP is referring to the European version of the instrument (mandola in G, a.k.a. octave), which is what, say, Munier or Pakenham wrote for. Viola parts do not necessarily translate idiomatically (in my experience, usually do not) to the mandola in G.

"Another possibility is the Ballo Liscio trios for 2 mandolins and guitar ... I assume the viola player can read treble clef and play the 2nd mandolin parts".

The OP is not looking for music to be played by viola. Re: Ballo Liscio, we (the Hampton Trio) have looked at (and occasionally played) some of this music. A little goes a long way (e.g. as encores).
    Robert A. Margo

10. The following members say thank you to margora for this post:

Robert: Perhaps the OP will inform us himself what he is looking for, or what he means by mandola.

You could always go to musescore.com loads of free music for many parts there, then simply change the instrument for a part from say flute to mandolin etc.
    Could at least be interesting and there are ten of thousands of scripts there...

I’d be interested to hear how you get along.

13. The following members say thank you to Simon DS for this post:

Thank all, this gives me lots of things to research. Yes, it’s an octave mandolin so music for 2 mandolins and guitar are worth us looking at.

15. The following members say thank you to robertpierce for this post: