Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Screamin' CL deal on a (very worn) F2

Default Re: Screamin' CL deal on a (very worn) F2

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Rieter View Post
    I actually talked to Jake about it for a few minutes earlier (if you call texting back and forth talking).
    He was encouraging on the repairs, the condition and especially the price.
    We'll see how it sounds, and whether angels sing and rainbows appear
    I hope you get that F-2. I am excited for you. Still think that is a great price! I know how excited I was to get my Gibson Snakehead A-Jr for $800. Got very lucky!

Going to be hard to find another F-2 for that price ever.

2. The following members say thank you to MandoMan1 for this post:

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

I paid $235 for my Kentucky KM-180. But wasn't it more than the first four combined?
    You are correct! Would this be your fifth mandolin? How accurate would my prediction be?
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

4. The following members say thank you to pheffernan for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by pheffernan View Post
    You are correct! Would this be your fifth mandolin? How accurate would my prediction be?
    It would only be #5 if you leave out mandolin banjos and octophones.
    1-4 total were slightly higher than the asking price for the F2, not counting setup, needed repairs, or additional cases. Pretty dang close though. But if you count mandolin banjos, then not even in the ballpark.

6. The following members say thank you to Sue Rieter for this post:

Teacher, repair person

Did you mean mandolin banjos plural?? If so, you've got it bad . . .

Oh, and I believe it to be important for Octofone owners to use Regal's original spelling.

Quote Originally Posted by rcc56 View Post
    Did you mean mandolin banjos plural?? If so, you've got it bad . . .

Oh, and I believe it to be important for Octofone owners to use Regal's original spelling.
    No, I only have one mandolin banjo; it was just poor syntax. Also I agree with you on Octofone; I had just come from a long and contentious meeting in town and was tired.
    Can I have a pass this time ?

No, I only have one mandolin banjo; it was just poor syntax. Also I agree with you on Octofone; I had just come from a long and contentious meeting in town and was tired.
    Can I have a pass this time ?
    Of course you can have a pass Sue!
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

That's coming from someone who spends a LOT of time in the corner, so take it with a few grains of salt.

I know, I know. I'm going off to MY corner ...
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Sue, are you now the proud owner of a Gibson F-2? Hope so.

Quote Originally Posted by journeybear View Post
    Yes, but ... You don't say how long ago those purchases were made...Also. looking at your accumulation, I can see why you'd be inclined to pick and choose, even if you were inclined to buy. And I believe I've seen that's just a partial list of your inventory of intriguing instruments. So, yes, I imagine you'd have a different perspective on this.
    My inventory/signature list is 'way out of date; too lazy to clean it up. The Eastman mandola and mandocello are gone, replaced by two Stahl (Larson Bros.) instruments, a mandola and a mando-bass. The '50's F-5 went in trade on a (shame!) Stelling banjo, and I added an Octofone, a Weber "sopranolin," an Eastman DGM-2 Bacon copy, and a no-name mandolin-banjo. There was also an Eastman DGM-1 Giacomel copy which came and went back to Bernunzio in trade. I also have, and never listed, a Holdrio Picolo (correct spelling) "pocket" mandolin, and a obscure-brand Jordan solid-body electric mandolin.

And yes, these are just the mandolins; I have a slew of guitars, banjos, ukuleles and Autoharps, three concertinas, and an aluminum bass fiddle. Plus a dulcimer and a bowed psaltery. Some of them don't get played very much...

My first F-2 I bought from Eldon Stutzman for $450 in 1972 or so; it went back to his son Dave in trade on the '50's F-5. My current 3-point I bought from Dave around 1988, for $1,500. I realize those were a long time ago –– but, on the other hand, those F-2's had their original bridges, tuners, pick guards and tailpieces, and had no repairs or missing pieces.

I have a residual skepticism about paying a premium for manufacturer's reputation and market preferences. No inherent reason that a mandolin marked "Gibson" or "Martin" should command a price above its utilitarian value as a musical instrument -- other than that the current market places additional value on the manufacturer's history and reputation. If the F-2 in question had been made by John Smith Mandolins Inc., and was in the same condition, doubt it'd be in four figures.

Later: amending and increasing the listing of mando-types I've added since my original signature listing -- a Waldo mandocello and a Gibson TL tenor lute. I really do need to clean up that signature, but doubt I could fit in all the stuff I've ended up with.
    Last edited by allenhopkins; Oct-01-2021 at 1:49pm. Reason: pulled out the Waldo for a weekend gig...
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

13. The following members say thank you to allenhopkins for this post:

Craigslist ad has been deleted. Congratulations Sue, if you bought it!

Yes, Sue bought my F-2. The price reflected what I paid for it, and the numerous repairs I made, mainly the refret. "Luthier' can indeed mean many things these days, which is why I listed a link to my FB Luthier page, in the listing: I like to believe I do high quality repair work, as evident in the photos, descriptions and videos one can see there. The F-2 is indeed extremely worn, and now plays and sounds very good.

16. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Dave Richard For This Useful Post:

Teacher, repair person

I've done a few projects like this one.

The last was a plain style A from the early 'teens. The finish was in very fine condition, but the neck was badly warped. It too was missing some parts-- the original bridge saddles, tailpiece cover, and pickguard and mounting hardware were gone.

I removed the fingerboard, straightened the neck, performed [what I hope was] a good stout compression fret job, made a new celluloid pickguard and a set of those tiny bridge saddles, and modified a viola chinrest screw to serve as a pickguard clamp.

I put it up in the classifieds for around $1200. It didn't sell, so I took it to a Nashville dealer and consigned it. They listed it at $1400. It sold in 2 weeks [there's a lesson there], and I ended up clearing around $1150-- enough to cover my labor and my purchase cost for the instrument. It was a good sounding mandolin. I hope the current owner is playing and enjoying it.

If this one had come to me in unrepaired condition, I might have gone to the trouble of making a bridge, pickguard, and possibly making an effort at replacing the missing peghead scroll. The scroll would be the most difficult part of the job, and might or might not have paid off.

Anyway, although we like original parts, the sound is not affected by replaced tuners, guards, and tailpieces. Either the mandolin sounds good or it doesn't. I don't understand some folks' current fascination with original frets. I've refretted dozens of these old Gibsons, and every one was easier to play with a good set of modern frets. Not one of my customers ever came back and told me they wished they had left the original frets in any one of those mandolins.

I hope that Sue will enjoy the instrument. I too started on a Strad-o-lin, and then moved up to an F-4.

I bought my F-4 in the late 1980's, and yes, it was considerably less expensive than they are now. I paid $1600. It was more fun back then when they were cheaper.

As I remember, the Strad-o-lin cost me about $75 in 1980, and needed a tailpiece and a set of tuners. And somewhere along the line I gave it a set of frets and a better bridge. The new frets and bridge did not hurt the sound one bit.
    Last edited by rcc56; Oct-01-2021 at 4:44pm.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rcc56 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Richard View Post
    Yes, Sue bought my F-2. The price reflected what I paid for it, and the numerous repairs I made, mainly the refret. "Luthier' can indeed mean many things these days, which is why I listed a link to my FB Luthier page, in the listing: I like to believe I do high quality repair work, as evident in the photos, descriptions and videos one can see there. The F-2 is indeed extremely worn, and now plays and sounds very good.
    That is awesome for Sue! Congratulations!

20. The following members say thank you to MandoMan1 for this post:

Congrats Sue! Black faced F-2's hold a special place in my heart, I still miss the one I had to sell to help pay 3rd quarter tuition for school a long time ago.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

22. The following members say thank you to Charles E. for this post:

Just got home with the F2. Lotta driving.
    Yeah, there were angels and rainbows. It looks and sounds amazing. Amazing. I knew in about 3 seconds.
    The pictures don't do it justice. I'll post pictures over on my MAS thread in the morning when there's better light. It has plenty of character, or "mojo" as Dave said.
    The new frets are awesome as is the new binding.
    I took an hour detour over to show it to Jake W. and he loved it too. Dave, he was really impressed with your fret job.
    He did tweak the bridge and nut just a tad.
    I think MAS is in remission.

PS. Wait till you see the strange and wonderful homemade original case made out of metal and plywood. 1930's all day long. (But I have a nicer one to keep it in)

24. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Sue Rieter For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

I was supposed to be in Spruce Pine, NC this weekend for the BBQ and Bluegrass festival, but stuff came up. Maybe fate.

Just got home with the F2. Lotta driving.
    Yeah, there were angels and rainbows. It looks and sounds amazing. Amazing. I knew in about 3 seconds.
    The pictures don't do it justice. I'll post pictures over on my MAS thread in the morning when there's better light. It has plenty of character, or "mojo" as Dave said.
    The new frets are awesome as is the new binding.
    I took an hour detour over to show it to Jake W. and he loved it too. Dave, he was really impressed with your fret job.
    He did tweak the bridge and nut just a tad.
    I think MAS is in remission.

PS. Wait till you see the strange and wonderful homemade original case made out of metal and plywood. 1930's all day long. (But I have a nicer one to keep it in)
    So glad you got the F-2! I bet it sounds amazing! Enjoy!

27. The following members say thank you to MandoMan1 for this post:

Can't wait to see the photos, Sue! How nice you bought your Strad-o-Lin a companion!

29. The following members say thank you to bbcee for this post:

Enjoy Sue! Some of the best old Gibson I've gotten a chance to play had replaced parts/lots and lots of honest wear - it's how they sound and feel to play that matters! Have a great weekend with your new to you F2!
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

31. The following members say thank you to Jill McAuley for this post:

Took a break from playing to post a few pictures here (Is this how it starts?)

Took a break from playing to post a few pictures here (Is this how it starts?)
    Sue, your link doesn't work, well for me at least. Congratulations on the F2.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

34. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

Charley

36. The following members say thank you to Charles E. for this post:

Blog Entries

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

JB one upping me?! Hey Heidi and I will be in Key west in Dec. I will be in touch.
    Charley

Blog Entries

Oh no, not my intent. Just wanted to make it easy as possible for folks.

For future reference: Click on the number of the post to which you want to create a link. The url of that exact post appears in the address bar. Copy and paste as usual.

Yeah, let me know when you're coming. Not gigging at present, but one never knows when somthing will blow up. Bring a mandolin this time, if you can. Maybe we can do some picking. Maybe Dave and Andy Reiner will be visiting at the time. It would be really cool to have a mini-symposium here. Say howdy to Heidi.

40. The following members say thank you to journeybear for this post: