Thread: A good fiddle for a reasonable price . . .

Teacher, repair person

Default A good fiddle for a reasonable price . . .

A Maggini copy at my local music store, Mountain Music in Chattanooga TN.

I've seen quite a few of these, some are pretty good, some are not. This one is better than it "should" be, and although the wood is fairly plain, it's a lot of violin for the money: $399 in decent condition. It is set up reasonably well and sounds quite good as it is. The only adjustment that I would consider would be a high grade bridge.

They do quite a bit of on-line business. This one has not yet been listed on their website or reverb page. You can find their phone number on their website:
    mountainmusicsite.com

I have no financial interest, but can recommend both the violin and the shop.

Default Re: A good fiddle for a reasonable price . . .

I am guessing that it is sold already. I don't see any "Maggini" violins on their violin page. I assume you are talking slightly longer body, double purfling and extra turn in the scroll?
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Teacher, repair person

Default Re: A good fiddle for a reasonable price . . .

It was there last week on the day I started this thread. They don't post everything they get immediately.
    Yes, it has the double purfling. I didn't pay attention to the scroll.
    I posted it here because of the sound-- nice even tone, no harshness, good projection. A lot of violin for $400 as it is, and there might be room to get even a little more out of it by tweaking the set up.
    Give them a call if you like. Their number is on the website. Ask for Darren.