Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need help valuing mandolin.

mando-evangelist August Watters's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Need help valuing mandolin.

Quote Originally Posted by lenf12 View Post
    Back in the day, I played in the Providence Mandolin Orchestra and one of the members had (still has?) a blond Vega CB with F Holes. She is sitting front row center in this picture from 1999. It has birds eye maple back and sides and the tuner cover plate is engraved with Giuseppe Pettine model.
    That looks like Yvette, who played with the Providence Mandolin Orchestra over a period of decades. But she passed on a few years back. That mandolin is indeed a gem, as I recall: loud, clear, easy to play, and very precise. Towards the end she donated that mandolin to the ensemble she was playing with: L'Esperance, conducted by Josh Bell. He's seated next to Yvette in the PMO photo in post #7, holding an F4.

As to valuation of the Bauer model: who knows? So far I don't see collectors stepping up with serious money, for high-quality, historically-significant, non-Gibson American mandolins. So I'd have to agree this should probably be priced like a high-end Vega cylinderback, also considering it's in rough condition and in need of a full restoration--both needed and well-deserved!
    Last edited by August Watters; Oct-18-2021 at 11:29pm.
    Exploring Classical Mandolin (Berklee Press, 2015)
    Progressive Melodies for Mandocello (KDP, 2019) (2nd ed. 2022)
    New Solos for Classical Mandolin (Hal Leonard Press, 2020)
    2021 guest artist, mandocello: Classical Mandolin Society of America

2. The following members say thank you to August Watters for this post: