Thread: Gig or inexpensive case for Ibanez tenor guitar

Mediocre but OK with that Paul Busman's Avatar

Default Gig or inexpensive case for Ibanez tenor guitar

I have this Ibanez tenor guitar;

https://www.amazon.com/Ibanez-Perfor...ruments&sr=1-2

For my needs, it's really excellent and I'd recommend anyone looking for a reasonably price tenor to at least look at it.

I can't find a reasonably priced gig bag or case for it. I don't want to spend a fortune on a $200 instrument. I don't need it to be super protective. At home it hangs safely on my musical instrument. I'd only carry it in my car, not a plane etc. I just need a convenient way to carry the guitar. Any ideas? Cases for tenor guitars seem to be more scarce than hens' teeth.
    For wooden musical fun that doesn't involve strumming, check out:
    www.busmanwhistles.com
    Handcrafted pennywhistles in exotic hardwoods.

2. The following members say thank you to Paul Busman for this post:

Default Re: Gig or inexpensive case for Ibanez tenor guitar

I have a gig bag for a Taylor "baby" guitar (or is it the "big baby") any way it is a perfect fit for my tenor. Also look for 3/4 size guitar gig bags. There a bunch listed online for under $30.oo
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

Playing on the porch

For my inexpensive Recording King tenor guitar, I also wanted something inexpensive to "protect" it. I found a case at Elderly Instruments for $40 and there was no shipping cost. It's a tad large, especially for the neck, but it accomplished what I wanted.
    ---
    2021 Ellis F5 Special #564 mandolin
    1928 Roth violin
    2016 Eastman MD515 mandolin
    1907 Foltz violin

Paul Wheeler
    Greenfield, NH; formerly Jericho and St. Albans, VT

A couple years ago I bought a Gibson TG-50 with a wrecked case (I couldn't trust it not to fall open). Took it to my local guitar store for a new case, anticipating I'd have to order and wait. They instantly produced a standard-quality hard case which fit perfectly . . . stamped "Ibanez". -- Paul
    Last edited by twaaang; Oct-01-2021 at 8:42pm. Reason: corrected model
    He joyously felt himself idling, an unreflective mood in which water was water, sky was sky, breeze was breeze. He knew it couldn't last. -- Thomas McGuane, "Nothing but Blue Skies"

Playing on the porch

Oops. My earlier post said I got a case from Elderly Instruments. It's a gig bag, not a hard case.
    ---
    2021 Ellis F5 Special #564 mandolin
    1928 Roth violin
    2016 Eastman MD515 mandolin
    1907 Foltz violin

Glad to see your endorsement of this instrument. I've been looking at a lot of tenor guitars lately and hoping to scratch that itch soon. I've looked at this model and wondered if it was too good to be true. I would expect an entry level instrument at that price point, but it is good to hear that it isn't a waste of money. Maybe new tenor day will be coming sooner than I thought!
    “Like winds and sunsets, wild things were taken for granted until progress began to do away with them. Now we face the question whether a still higher ‘standard of living’ is worth its cost in things natural, wild and free.” -- Aldo Leopold

Not long ago I bought a 1931 Gibson TG-0, and the Gator 3/4 guitar hard case fits it nicely. There is surplus space beyond the peghead, but otherwise a good fit. I paid GBP60, so I'd guess in the US they cost around USD60. 13.75 inch lower bout width, and your tenor seems to be 13.5.

This also suggests a 3/4 size gig bag would fit, though again with surplus space above the peghead. Probably USD20 or so.

Paul?
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

Quote Originally Posted by trodgers View Post
    Glad to see your endorsement of this instrument. I've been looking at a lot of tenor guitars lately and hoping to scratch that itch soon. I've looked at this model and wondered if it was too good to be true. I would expect an entry level instrument at that price point, but it is good to hear that it isn't a waste of money. Maybe new tenor day will be coming sooner than I thought!
    Check out the Harley Benton first. It's the same design but has a solid sitka spruce top. The Ibanez is plywood.

https://www.thomann.de/intl/ca/harle...s_nt_tenor.htm

Ibanez had a solid top version with electronics for a while but they seem to have been discontinued.
    VerneAndru.com | oKee.ComX

- ---==< V >==--- -

11. The following members say thank you to Verne Andru for this post: