Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tips on getting more volume out of a 3 week old Mando?

Default Re: Tips on getting more volume out of a 3 week old Mando?

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie D View Post
    I'm sort of in the same boat as you liking the brighter sound using Dunlop 71mm, Pro Grip Brited 60mm, and 73mm on the Mando and my guitars, but will have to change my ways using thicker picks.
    Some mandolins have very bright plain strings and I can see the need for the heavier pick. Mine have nice lush plain strings so the thick pick is not necessary and definitely dampens the G string. I do want the pick stiff tho. I have been thinning down the Wegen TF100 so finally ordered some thinned to my preference, as it is a lot of work thinning them down. I am set now for a while.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Thanks for the tip on changing out the strings Kevin. I had no idea that the strings that came on the 305 EJ74's (?) had to be changed out to help keep the tuners working properly.

I have a set of 74's that I ordered with the Mando, and will be putting them on, and that will also give me a chance to lube the nut slots.

As far as banging on the Mando, I think I used the wrong wording. There isn't a scratch on it because I keep the pic strictly on the strings only, and the volume has ramped up nicely. I only play at home and for myself.

Right now I'm basically just trying to get my finger tips used to a Mando, (sliding is the worst) and can only play for maybe 20 min.? before they get too sore to continue. I'm very grateful they heal over night, or 24 hrs.

I am using thicker picks now, but what I call think is a Fender medium, but need to obtain some 1.2's. If all else fails, follow directions. Right? Ha

Btw, every bit of advice you guys (all) are giving me is taken in as fact, and this time around it will be followed. My way ended up in my quitting Mando all together....
    Two things to consider:
    • when changing the strings, lube the tuners themselves. There are friction points between the post and bushings, the ends of the worm gears and the brackets, and the bottom of the round gear and the plate. I use bike chain oil because I'm a cyclist, but any oil is better than none. Lube may or may not help. I had a 515 that I set up for a friend and lubing the tuners didn't help as much as I've experienced with other tuners. If you're going to stick with this mandolin, I'd upgrade the tuners. Grover 309s are as smooth as butter. It's hard enough getting all those doubled pairs in tune without struggling with substandard tuners.

• As others have mentioned, mandolin requires a heavier pick. You've got doubled pairs of strings, some at a high tension. A Fender medium is limited, no matter how hard you strike the strings because it will just flex more so the extra force doesn't go into the strings. I also consider 1.4mm -1.5mm to be the minimum thickness for mando. Dunlop Primetones are excellent for a few bucks.

* It also wouldn't hurt to have a good tech or at least experienced player look it over. If the nut slots are too high (which they often are on entry level instruments) it's going to really painful to playl

Raise the action.
    2021 The Loar LM700 VS

Quote Originally Posted by mando_dan View Post
    Keep playing the ever living heck out of it and if you believe the folklore, resting it against the front of a speaker with Black Sabbath set to 11 for a day or two may help as well.
    It won't, but I would love to try that just to see my wife's expression when I explain the process.

I already posted above that I used the wrong wording. I was playing the Mando very hard. That's all.
    Eastman 515 Mando
    Gibson J-30 Guitar
    RK-80 Banjo

Quote Originally Posted by mando_dan View Post
    Keep playing the ever living heck out of it and if you believe the folklore, resting it against the front of a speaker with Black Sabbath set to 11 for a day or two may help as well.
    I actually tried that only with a boom box on a 515 after it sat in it's case for three years not being played. It worked! Not great, but did perk it up after 4 days....I also tried it on a Hummingbird guitar sitting in front of a JBL L100 loud speaker (think of a pic of a guy sitting in front of a speaker with his hair being blown back on a cassette cover), it didn't do anything. Go figure.
    Eastman 515 Mando
    Gibson J-30 Guitar
    RK-80 Banjo

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Roy View Post
    Two things to consider:
    • when changing the strings, lube the tuners themselves. There are friction points between the post and bushings, the ends of the worm gears and the brackets, and the bottom of the round gear and the plate. I use bike chain oil because I'm a cyclist, but any oil is better than none. Lube may or may not help. I had a 515 that I set up for a friend and lubing the tuners didn't help as much as I've experienced with other tuners. If you're going to stick with this mandolin, I'd upgrade the tuners. Grover 309s are as smooth as butter. It's hard enough getting all those doubled pairs in tune without struggling with substandard tuners.

• As others have mentioned, mandolin requires a heavier pick. You've got doubled pairs of strings, some at a high tension. A Fender medium is limited, no matter how hard you strike the strings because it will just flex more so the extra force doesn't go into the strings. I also consider 1.4mm -1.5mm to be the minimum thickness for mando. Dunlop Primetones are excellent for a few bucks.

* It also wouldn't hurt to have a good tech or at least experienced player look it over. If the nut slots are too high (which they often are on entry level instruments) it's going to really painful to playl
    The mando was set up at The Mandolin Store (pro set up), but I'm going to have it set up to my liking if I can find someone that's good with mandos in San Diego.

I looked up Grover 309, but I only found 309's for the F style. I will try changing the strings and oiling the tuners for now. Who knows, it might work.
    Eastman 515 Mando
    Gibson J-30 Guitar
    RK-80 Banjo

Registered User Charlie Bernstein's Avatar

. . . keeping it in tune is a bit hard, and maybe that will change down the road. . . .
    Naw, that's part of their magic. As several mando pros have assured me, you spend half the time tuning and half the time playing out of tune.
    Gibson A-Junior snakehead (Keep on pluckin'!)