Thread: Hello from France !

Registered User Woody Ukepicker's Avatar

Default Hello from France !

Hi,

I am an intermediate guitar and ukulele player. I started playing guitar about 10 years ago. So many years and my level is quite disappointing...
    I read scores notation but I prefer playing from tablatures.

I like all kinds of music but mostly classical. I like small instruments like ukulele and I could not ignore mandoline. I bought one very cheap last year just to see what it is and if I could do something with it.

My first attempt with a mandolin is here

As you can see I love playing duets. I just bought a vintage Kiso Suzuki MR-80 Bowlback mandoline. I shall receive it by the end of the week. I am quite ignorant and sources of information are not easy like for guitar or ukulele. Even buying a mandoline is an obstacle course.

Here I would like to get your opinions about mandoline clips I intend to publish. I would appreciate all kind of advises about technics, instruments, books, etc...

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Woody Ukepicker For This Useful Post:

Gummy Bears and Scotch BrianWilliam's Avatar

Default Re: Hello from France !

Bonjour!

Nice tremolo!

I enjoyed that very much. Bienvenue a Mandolin Cafe. (I know, there should be accent marks).
    Robert Johnson's mother, describing blues musicians:
    "I never did have no trouble with him until he got big enough to be round with bigger boys and off from home. Then he used to follow all these harp blowers, mandoleen (sic) and guitar players."
    Lomax, Alan, The Land where The Blues Began, NY: Pantheon, 1993, p.14.

Thank you, Merci

Welcome Woody Ukepicker,

Sounds like you are well on your way, and you've found a great forum with lots of friendly people willing to share their knowledge freely. Have fun!
    Eastman 515 Mando
    Gibson J-30 Guitar
    RK-80 Banjo

Did Montaigne play mandolin? If he did, his advice would go something like: "Don't let the notes get in the way of playing the music ... " Thanks for the Italian treat. I hope we'll be graced with more of the same on your your Suzuki when it arrives!

welcome to you! enjoy the mandolin and glad to see you on the cafe!
    --------------------------------
    1920 Lyon & Healy bowlback
    1923 Gibson A-1 snakehead
    1952 Strad-o-lin
    1983 Giannini ABSM1 bandolim
    2009 Giannini GBSM3 bandolim
    2011 Eastman MD305

Thank you again guys !

@joe
    I am impressed you recognized Montaigne in my avatar picture . One reason I chose this is that the Montaigne's book (he wrote only one) is the book that is on my nightstand for years!
    I read it many times, I am fond of it. This is for me a source of wisdom. I happens I live about 12 miles from his castle. The tower in which was his library where he wrote his book "Les essais" and where he died in 1592 is still standing up. Picture of Montaigne's tower
    Yes he could have written "Don't let the notes get in the way of playing the music ... ". Because he talks about himself, he would have written "When I play music, I don't let the notes get in the way of playing the music. I am focused on the essence of the music and I don't let my mind driving me outside of this purpose"
    As he died in 1592 he could not have played mandoline as mandoline will appear only 200 years later. I personnaly do not believe he played any instrument as he never mention anything about playing music. He just tells us that he was surprised to hear violins playing whith an organ in the cathedral of Verona (italy).

10. The following members say thank you to Woody Ukepicker for this post:

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Welcome to the Café!

I enjoyed your piece. Good tremolo. You seemed a bit tentative, but that should disappear with practice as you become more confident.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranald View Post
    I enjoyed that very much. Bienvenue a Mandolin Cafe. (I know, there should be accent marks).
    Oui et non. This subject has come up before, and I believe it is the policy of the higher-ups to not include the accent in "Café." I do, because it is the correct spelling, generally. However, it's not my site, so I don't push it. The accent never appears in anything from High Command.

That said, since such things may become pertinent among the persnickety here, I use a few methods to achieve such correctness. One is alt-codes, which broaden punctuation possibilities. My favorite site is https://sites.psu.edu/symbolcodes/windows/codealt/ which I have bookmarked. I've memorized the codes for some of the more common symbols, such as é (alt + 0233), ° (alt + 0176), and ˘ (alt + 0162) - no more "2 cents for me." Or you can also copy and paste from the list. Or you can google a word that you know contains the desired symbol, and copy and paste. Do as you see fit. You can always use google translate or any other online translator. Just trying to be helpful.
    Last edited by journeybear; Oct-06-2021 at 4:58am. Reason: being persnickety about persnicketiness
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

I recorded this 3 monthes ago. I guess I would be more confident now.
    Thank you for your welcome and encouragement.

13. The following members say thank you to Woody Ukepicker for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by journeybear View Post
    Welcome to the Café! :mandosmiley}Oui et non. This subject has come up before, and I believe it is the policy of the higher-ups to not include the accent in "Café." I do, because it is the correct spelling, generally. However, it's not my site, so I don't push it. The accent never appears in anything from High Command.

That said, since such things may become pertinent among the persnickety here, I use a few methods to achieve such correctness. One is alt-codes, which broaden punctuation possibilities. My favorite site is https://sites.psu.edu/symbolcodes/windows/codealt/ which I have bookmarked. I've memorized the codes for some of the more common symbols, such as é (alt + 0233), ° (alt + 0176), and ˘ (alt + 0162) - no more "2 cents for me." Or you can also copy and paste from the list. Or you can google a word that you know contains the desired symbol, and copy and paste. Do as you see fit. You can always use google translate or any other online translator. Just trying to be helpful.
    I know that "Cafe" has no accent in Mandolin Cafe. the word "cafe" has been absorbed into the English language a long time ago, and my dictionaries give alternate spellings, with and without an accent. Besides which, the powers that be have also explained that it's unaccented. However, I was referring mainly to the other word that needed an accent, a word that hasn't been absorbed into English. I'm aware that there are ways to find accents on computers. Back in the 1990's, my computer programs, to say nothing of the little "User's Guide," that used to come with computers made this easy. Alas, those were the days. Remembering series of letters and numbers does not come easily to me. Frankly, I can't be bothered either working at this task, or dong a few minutes work to find an accent mark that I might want to use again in six months. "Woody" or any other French reader knows exactly what I mean anyway. If I were working on a project with many words from another language that uses accent marks, I'd undertake the task.
    "I never did have no trouble with him until he got big enough to be round with bigger boys and off from home. Then he used to follow all these harp blowers, mandoleen (sic) and guitar players."

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Hey, didn't mean to cause any consternation. That post was for general public information as well as you, in case anyone out there is as persnickety about such things as I am. I'm well aware most people don't give a hoot about accuracy as long as they can be understood. In case anyone does care about this, the proper spelling would be "Bienvenue au Mandoline Café," in order to include the "the" in the sentence. I think I better stop there, though. No need to make more of this than it is.

One thing that intrigues me is your mention of a "User's Guide," something I've never seen. Must be because I've never bought a computer directly from a manufacturer. Boy, have there been times I could have used something like that! I also complain about the internet not coming with a manual, nor google, facebook, nor any number of applications. Seems we're all just supposed to have been able to figure all this out somehow. Go figure!
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

16. The following members say thank you to journeybear for this post:

Ranald 

Quote Originally Posted by journeybear View Post
    Hey, didn't mean to cause any consternation. That post was for general public information as well as you, in case anyone out there is as persnickety about such things as I am. I'm well aware most people don't give a hoot about accuracy as long as they can be understood. In case anyone does care about this, the proper spelling would be "Bienvenue au Mandoline Café," in order to include the "the" in the sentence. I think I better stop there, though. No need to make more of this than it is.

One thing that intrigues me is your mention of a "User's Guide," something I've never seen. Must be because I've never bought a computer directly from a manufacturer. Boy, have there been times I could have used something like that! I also complain about the internet not coming with a manual, nor google, facebook, nor any number of applications. Seems we're all just supposed to have been able to figure all this out somehow. Go figure!
    You're right about "au."
    I'm a Mac man, and got those booklets with my first couple of computers. I marked the page of accents, for easy reference. They were important in my academic life. Now, we're all presumed to be very left brain oriented and completely familiar with computers. Don't get me ranting on that!

18. The following members say thank you to Ranald for this post: