Thread: Low, Low Frets on SOL

Default Low, Low Frets on SOL

I recently bought a Stradolin from the FB Marketplace that had had some work I did not notice from the pictures or description. At first it was obvious that the original SOL bridge would not adjust low enough and I noticed that the heel cap was gone. Someone had obviously reset the neck and missed the correct angle by a couple of degrees. So I made a new bridge for it and I am not going to worry about another neck reset. I noticed the frets had been filed down to almost nothing (.011" to be exact) and they were flat (not recrowned). I tried to crown them but they are so low my crowning file won't even touch the metal. The nut slots had been recut to match the low frets. It was strung up when I got it so I tried to play it and it has a great tone (better that my 34 A1 or my 16 A2 and much better than my 56 2-15) and it plays like butter. I was about to start pulling frets because my experience tells me these frets are not acceptable to anyone but I thought I would quiz the MC experts before I start yanking. Has anyone ever tried to play frets this low?

Default Re: Low, Low Frets on SOL

If it sounds great and plays great, why change anything?

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to milli857 For This Useful Post:

Registered User Charlie Bernstein's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by milli857 View Post
    If it sounds great and plays great, why change anything?
    Yup. You're there, Laddy.
    Gibson A-Junior snakehead (Keep on pluckin'!)

Teacher, repair person

If the flat tops aren't messing up the intonation and you don't mind your fingertips bumping into the board, you can leave it alone.
    But if you notice a lot of soreness in your left hand, wrist, or fingers after playing it for a couple of hours straight, you might want to consider replacing them.

Not everyone likes the same thing. I don't do well with low frets, but if you like them, leave it alone and enjoy it.
    Last edited by rcc56; Mar-15-2024 at 5:32pm.