Thread: Custom Design Picks (Ultem)

Default Custom Design Picks (Ultem)

Hi all,

I know of a few custom pick makers out there, but I'm looking specifically for ones that would be open/able to doing a one off production of a Ranieri style pick made from ultex/ultem.

Normally I would make weird experiments like this myself, but I've recently moved to an apartment that doesn't offer much in the way of ventilation or workspace area. In addition, I know ultem sheets have grown pretty expensive and I'd like to avoid shelling out the cash for a whole sheet for one or two picks.

Thanks!

Default Re: Custom Design Picks (Ultem)

Have you asked Nik at Apollo Picks? The black material he's using for his new Mike Marshall pick is a high grade of Ultem.

I hadn't actually thought to. I didn't realize the Mike Marshall pick was PEI/ultem until just now.

D'Addario offers custom picks in both single and multi-color options. I have no experience with many of their pick materials so I have no idea of one of them would be a suitable replacement for Ultem/Ultex.

https://www.daddario.com/products/ac.../custom-picks/

I made my own Roman/Ranieri plectra from a small sheet of ultem. I don't know what it cost these days but I got a 12X12 of 1/16" for about $25 and 1/8" for a but more. The problem I have seen is that I can't seem to find thin enough pieces these days. The sheets seem to come no thinner than 1/4".

It was not hard to make the plectra especially with the thinner material. I used a Dremel tool, some sandpaper and a set of nail boards I got from CVS. I made one for a friend and I think he still uses it. Here's one:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ultem_ranieri_roman_pic.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	7.9 KB 
ID:	196701
    Last edited by Jim Garber; Oct-07-2021 at 11:05am.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

6. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

McMaster Carr has Ultem in 1/16, 3/32, 1/8 and thicker, minimum sheets 12x12”. For most things, they are not the lowest price and are not as ‘hobby quantity’ useful as other vendors. So a scrap or cutoff is best sourced from a plastics house.
    Incidentally, I’ve read a few of the posts about pick materials - impressive amount of attention, but happily not one of my present obsessions. There are, between relatively standard products and variations, thousands of candidate materials to be explored, not just the few that pick vendors have used. For a somewhat scientific approach, a materials catalog like McM-C is a good starting point to characterize some of these loose concepts.
    So far, I’ve made all of my own picks, but then again, my playing skill does not warrant optimum anything.