Thread: Central Oregon - I need to try a Weber Yellowstone

Default Central Oregon - I need to try a Weber Yellowstone

Hi All
    I am trying to decide if a Weber Yellowstone is the mandolin for me. I'm eyeing one online but really need to see if the fretboard is comfortable. The problem is there are no shops in my area.

Is there anyone near Bend/Prineville who has one I could stop by and check out? I'm vaccinated and totally willing to stay outside and mask.

F or A doesn't matter since its the radiussed fretboard I need to decide on. I have a 1986 Kentucky 250S - I believe these had a flat fretboard.

Thanks for the help
    Laura Alber
    Prineville OR

Default Re: Central Oregon - I need to try a Weber Yellowstone

They are made in Bend. Call them and see if they have one you can try. I have a Weber Yellowstone and live in Albany, Oregon, but that far from Prineville.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Richard G For This Useful Post:

They're not building any at the moment, so there might not even be one at the factory to try.
    https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/c...-Manufacturing

5. The following members say thank you to jefflester for this post:

I switched up from an entry level Kentucky with flat fretboard to a Weber Bitterroot with radius. I'd would think there is something at the Bend factory or at another shop with a comparable radius. You may not have to play an actual Yellowstone to get an impression in other words.

7. The following members say thank you to Ky Slim for this post:

I'd like to help out, but the only Weber I've seen locally at jams and sessions (when we had them) was a Bitteroot A. Have never seen a Yellowstone in the High Desert. A trip to Albany (2+ hours) may be in the offing.......
    Thanks

Several mandolins of varying quality-any one of which deserves a better player than I am.......

9. The following members say thank you to Mike Scott for this post:

Thanks for the offer Richard - It is a long way. I'm headed to the SF Bay Area next week but it might get sold by then. Then again maybe my "playing" and being blown over by a Gibson Master Model last Spring is a baseball bat of a clue that I'd be happier with a Gibson (argh I'm not that good and feel I should be playing at a higher level before looking for a Gibson Fern - the MM is an unlikely goal). I've waited a lifetime to finally practice like I mean it and need a better sounding instrument.

Thanks Ky - so true it doesn't need to be a Yellowstone - did you like the fretboard change?

I saw that on MC - mandolins take a lot of labor to make compared to guitars - bigger bang for the labor investment.

Different companies have different economies of scale and production methods, but as a whole, my experience says this statement is incorrect.

Things are certainly different from the old company in Tumalo back when I worked for them, but they had a very efficient mandolin production system and a very mediocre guitar building system.

When I worked for Kim Breedlove, I "built" 2 1/2 mandolins per day before lunch, getting constantly verbally abused that I was too slow while earning $7 per hour.

The guitars have many more production steps and took about three days to complete, prior to heading to the finishing department.
    www.condino.com

Crafted by hand in a workshop powered by the sun.

14. The following members say thank you to j. condino for this post:

Resident Hack

FWIW, all of my mandolins have been flat fingerboards. While shopping last year, I did get to try a Yellowstone and a Gallatin and the radius on both was unnoticeable (by me). There wasn't a big learning curve or alien feeling at all. That Yellowstone sounded wonderful, if you're looking for a more modern tone.
    What I play
    2021 Skip Kelley Two-Point
    Eastwood 'Ricky'
    Morgan Monroe RT-1E
    Epiphone Genesis guitars
    Various Basses

16. The following members say thank you to Mitch Stein for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch Stein View Post
    FWIW, all of my mandolins have been flat fingerboards. While shopping last year, I did get to try a Yellowstone and a Gallatin and the radius on both was unnoticeable (by me). There wasn't a big learning curve or alien feeling at all. That Yellowstone sounded wonderful, if you're looking for a more modern tone.
    Thanks Mitch - sounds like the neck shape is more important than radius.

I think if you've waited a lifetime to get to this point and you can afford it, you should get the mandolin of your dreams. Don't worry about whether you "deserve" a Gibson or Heiden or Dude or whatever. There's no test to see whether you are worthy.

19. The following members say thank you to Eric F. for this post:

I have an old kay mandolin with a flat fretboard light strings, as well as the Weber Yellowstone, the Weber Yellowstone plays like butter, smooth and easy to play with medium strings, much easier to play chords on as well as fast picking.