Thread: Nut width..

Default Nut width..

Just to be more clear, when talking about NUT width, what is the normal length.. I know, it's a personal thing, but I've seen anywhere from 1 inch to as high as 1 1/4 inch.. And the most important question is where do you measure.. Is it the nut its self , or is it outside string too outside string.. I try to measure to the 32 of an inch, but with these old eyes........
    kterry

Default Re: Nut width..

The “normal” width isn’t really an industry standard, as you’ve noticed. I measure outside edge to outside edge of the fingerboard at the very end. The nut itself can vary within a narrow range as long as it’s not obtrusive, but the reference (as I apply it) is really to the fingerboard width.
    Monte

Northfield F2S
    Weber Yellowstone Octave F

Quote Originally Posted by MB-Octo View Post
    The “normal” width isn’t really an industry standard, as you’ve noticed. I measure outside edge to outside edge of the fingerboard at the very end. The nut itself can vary within a narrow range as long as it’s not obtrusive, but the reference (as I apply it) is really to the fingerboard width.
    Hi,

That’s a good point about measuring the fingerboard width rather than the nut width. I suppose that’s what important at the end of the day in terms of playability. Although some might argue that it’s really where the strings are cut on the nut in terms of width that’s the final determinant.

I measured my Hogan. It’s exactly one inch on the board, slightly more on the nut.

Regards,

Currently, 1 1/8" seems to be the closest thing there is to a standard because it seems to me to be the most common width used by most builders today. 1 3/16" comes in second. Nuts that are under 1 1/8" and over 1 3/16" show up from time to time but are not as popular.
    This is all based on my personal observation, not an international poll or anything like that.

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

I think a Loar F5 is narrow and I think a teens paddle-head as wide. The former about an inch and the latter a 1/4" more.

I like the paddle head and I like 1-3/16ths.

I feel cramped on the typically narrow F5.

Now what's the consensus on fretboard radius?

f-d
    ¡papá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A