Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cost for refret

Adrian Minarovic

Default Re: Cost for refret

Quote Originally Posted by j. condino View Post
    A+

There you go- send all of your stainless steel refret jobs to Adrian!
    I bet I would beat you all on price as well :-)
    BUT.... I'm not in US so shipping would cost way too much and I generally do refrets or repairs only for local picker friends and owners of my instruments.
    Adrian

Hello good people,
    This is my first post but hopefully I can add something of value. I know this is an old thread but I have some current pricing information that some may find useful. First off, the mandolin in question is a 1995 Gibson F5-V, Montana made mandolin. This mandolin has had a lot of play time and the action was starting to get a little too high for my taste. This is with the saddle adjustment screws pretty much bottomed out. The frets, at least the first seven, had fairly deep grooves in them that was affecting intonation and playability.

I live in the Nashville, Tn area and have most of my instrument work done by Gruhn Guitars. Current pricing from Gruhn for a full refret is $825. This includes complete refret, adjustment and/or replacement of the nut, sanding and adjustment of the saddle/bridge and setup. For me, this is a pretty big chunk of change but I have high hopes that the work will be done right and the mandolin will play beautifully and sound great.

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyJ View Post
    ….
    I live in the Nashville, Tn area and have most of my instrument work done by Gruhn Guitars. Current pricing from Gruhn for a full refret is $825. This includes complete refret, adjustment and/or replacement of the nut, sanding and adjustment of the saddle/bridge and setup. For me, this is a pretty big chunk of change but I have high hopes that the work will be done right and the mandolin will play beautifully and sound great.
    That is an eye-watering number for someone who remembers refrets in the late 70s for probably about 10% of that (not in N-ville, tho); but, you could buy a new car for probably 10% of today’s cost, too.

I’d guess Gruhn has to be near the top in shop prices, but if you’ve always used them and like the work, I’d be the last to find an argument with it. Plus it will help keep the lights on at a place I hope to once again stroll through in a couple months.
    2018 Kentucky KM-950, 2017 Ellis A5 Deluxe

Yes, my eyes definitely watered. Besides Carter Vintage Instruments and Gruhns, I was unsure of any other reputable sources for doing the work. Carter Vintage Instruments is currently backlogged and not taking on any more repair work as of now. Also, I bought the instrument at Gruhns and they have done very nice service work for me in the past so I feel at least the job will be done right. On another note, the mandolin was my fathers and was a quite expensive investment back in the 90's. So besides the the feel and tone of the mandolin, there is a bit of sentimentality involved and I don't want an amateur mucking things up. I plan to play this instrument for the rest of my life, however long that may be.

I would give Bruce Weber a call on this job. He might even have worked on it. Google Montana Lutherie. You have nothing to lose. Bruce is a great guy and one of the top luthiers. Even with shipping, I’ll bet you’ll save money.

Quote Originally Posted by keith.rogers View Post
    That is an eye-watering number for someone who remembers refrets in the late 70s for probably about 10% of that (not in N-ville, tho); but, you could buy a new car for probably 10% of today’s cost, too.....
    Well, um, that was almost 50 years ago and the acceptable standards were very different than today. You could buy a L. Loar signed F5 then for about $7500...

There are probably 50 independent guys in Nashville that will do a fine job for less.
    www.condino.com

Crafted by hand in a workshop powered by the sun.

Quote Originally Posted by j. condino View Post
    Well, um, that was almost 50 years ago and the acceptable standards were very different than today. You could buy a L. Loar signed F5 then for about $7500...

There are probably 50 independent guys in Nashville that will do a fine job for less.
    You're probably right. However, I don't know any of them. At any rate, the mandolin has been dropped off and work has begun. I'll survive and I'll be happy that my mandolin is back in top shape. I just wanted to update this thread and share some current information, at least for those who live near Nashville and wish to take their mandolins to Gruhns.

I really need to raise my prices lol.

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to David Houchens For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buesseler View Post
    I would give Bruce Weber a call on this job. He might even have worked on it. Google Montana Lutherie. You have nothing to lose. Bruce is a great guy and one of the top luthiers. Even with shipping, I’ll bet you’ll save money.
    I second giving Bruce a call as well. He most likely helped built and signed your mandolin and his prices, which are posted on his website, are very reasonable.

Teacher, repair person

I guess it's time to raise mine too, though I'm reluctant to do so.
    But I don't think I would have any customers at anything near $800.
    At any rate, any increases here will be modest.

I do make it a point to maintain a high level of precision for my fret work.
    I'd like to believe that after 200 or so fret jobs that I know a little about what I'm doing.

Quote Originally Posted by rcc56 View Post
    I guess it's time to raise mine too, though I'm reluctant to do so.
    But I don't think I would have any customers at anything near $800.
    At any rate, any increases here will be modest.

I do make it a point to maintain a high level of precision for my fret work.
    I'd like to believe that after 200 or so fret jobs that I know a little about what I'm doing.
    Are you located near Nashville? I'd like to have your information to keep as a future option.

Teacher, repair person

I'm in Chattanooga. You're welcome to pm me at any time. Just click my username and select "private message."

I work on all fretted instruments, and do some occasional violin work also.
    I've done most of Norman Blake's fret work for the past 20+ years, also a few jobs for Peter Ostroushko.

Thank you Sir.

I've got a guy in Flatrock NC that will refret for a lot less than that. He did a banjo and a mandolin for me. The work he does is amazing as well.

I could raise my price several times and not get $800.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

17. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

Not doubting the quality of work, but to command 2-3 times what other reputable shops do is hard for me to understand.

The danger is associating the higher price with better quality of work. Thinking that because of the name on the front door, magical unicorn dust will be sprinkled upon every job.

19. The following members say thank you to sliebers for this post:

Well folks, after much consideration and reflection based on the feedback from the members of this forum, I called Gruhns and cancelled the work order. I hate to be that guy but since I only took it in yesterday, hopefully I didn't cause them too much inconvenience. Also, after tax, the total was going to be close to $900. From what I understand, that is a huge amount of money for a refret. I'll be honest, when I took it in yesterday it was only for a setup and to have the saddle filed down a hair, and the quote over the phone for that work was around $100 or so. After speaking with the repair foreman, he felt like a refret was needed and I don't disagree with that, but I had no idea how much the average cost of a refret was when I agreed to the work. After thinking it over, $900 felt like too much money.

I've reached out to Bruce Weber and may wind up shipping it to Montana. As others have mentioned, Bruce may have even been involved in the construction of this mandolin. Thanks to everyone who provided me with helpful suggestions and information.

21. The following members say thank you to BigDaddyJ for this post:

You might also want to speak to Danny Roberts of the Grascals. He's local to you. His work is exceptional. Check him out. You can google Just Off The Bench to find his web page. NFI on my part. he did do a fret level, new pearl nut, and set up on my mandolin that I am very pleased with.

Adam

Thanks for the info Adam.