Thread: John Goodin passing

Default John Goodin passing

Not much to add. Just read it from a mutual friend on FB. He played in Contracopia as well as Foot Notes with Beth Horven Rotto. Also was a composer and was the person behind Playford for Mandolin and the two Telemann mandolin books on eBay.

Very sad as he was a really nice person.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Eric Platt For This Useful Post:

Default Re: John Goodin passing

Oh man. This news hits hard.
    KristinEliza

Facebook

I'm really saddened by this news. I met John at the CMSA convention and enjoyed talking with him. His compositions are excellent and lots of fun to play. Our ensemble will be playing his Waitin' on the Julia Belle later this month and have performed his Cathedral Hill in the past. We've certainly lost a great person and someone who has added wonderful repertoire to the mandolin world.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mandolute For This Useful Post:

This is a major loss. John was an original plankholder in the Louisville Mandolin Orchestra, back in 1988. His profession took him to Decorah, Iowa, but we still maintained a strong musical connection with him, trying out new pieces, including many titled with regional Kentucky and Indiana placenames. I can't think of any concerts we played over my 25+ years with the orchestra that did not include at least one of his works. Fortunately we were able to record a cd dedicated to him in late 2018 entitled "It's All Goodin", all compositions of his, along with a solo by him of "James Oswald on the Ohio". We had a cd release party at Indiana University-Southeast, and John came and played (with the Second Mando section, of course).
    He will be greatly missed.

Terrible, terrible loss. John was a wonderful guy. Our orchestra performed his Heavens on Earth suite at CMSA 2010 and John sat in with us on guitar. So generous and gracious.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mrmando For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

On behalf of the Mandolin Cafe our condolences to John's family and friends. We've probably emailed dozens of times the past few years and his illness was never mentioned. One of the great human beings, for sure. Rest in peace.

10. The following members say thank you to Mandolin Cafe for this post:

I am heartbroken. To me John was a musician, a composer, and most of all a friend. He was quick with a handshake and a smile if he knew you, and even quicker if he didn't. Our Orchestra too, played Heavens on Earth Suite as well as North Georgia Hills. We also commissioned 'Oregonia' from John in 2019. I am so happy to know that John was able to see and hear the world premier just this past September (delayed due to COVID).

My sincerest condolences to his wife and family. Also, to his so very many friends.

I will miss you John!
    MLT
    Oregon Mandolin Orchestra
    Classical Mandolin Society of America
    Labraid Cytole

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

yes, a real part of this community. Enjoyed his arraignments and my interactions with him over the years.

RIP and condolences to the family.

f-d
    ‘papα gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

Blog Entries

This is indeed a big shock. I knew John thru the members of Contratopia and dozens of dance events.
    Decipit exemplar vitiis imitabile

Really sad to hear this. John was a wonderful composer and I enjoyed listening to and playing the tunes he wrote. An inspiration. RIP.
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

My limited interaction with John was a musical blessing.

16. The following members say thank you to J.C. Bryant for this post:

I was planning to do a CMSA open mic performance of a little mandocello piece I wrote thanking John for his contributions, including his Oregonia composition for our local OMO and his Seasonal Mandocello Suite. This will change the nature of my performance and the meaning of the piece, thanking him in memoriam.
    I remember a few years back casually chatting with a fellow in a t shirt and cap; later on somebody told me "That was John Goodin;" So glad I followed up on the conversation. There was always something sparkling and lively about his music, but still gentle and humble like his personality.
    Thank you John, and rest in Mandotopian peace.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jim Imhoff For This Useful Post: