Thread: Sad news: John Goodin died yesterday

Default Sad news: John Goodin died yesterday

According to several posts on Facebook from his musical colleagues, John Goodin, composer, arranger, and fine mandolin player died yesterday. Very sad news for the mandolin world and the world in general which needs more generous and thoughtful people like John, not fewer.

Barry

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to btrott For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Sad news: John Goodin died yesterday

I was planning to do a CMSA open mic performance of a little mandocello piece I wrote thanking John for his contributions, including his Oregonia composition for our local OMO and his Four Seasons Mandocello Suite. This will change the nature of my performance and the meaning of the piece, thanking him in memoriam. There was always something sparkling and lively about his music, but still gentle and humble like his personality.
    Thank you John, and rest in mandotopian peace.

Very Sad! I love playing his tunes!! Rest In Peace John.

Oh, no. John was a good soul and a wonderful contributor to mandolin repertoire. I did meet him at one of the CMSA conventions. We will miss him.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

I played one or two of his tunes, and this is a moment to stand back in reverence. May he play on in a better world.
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

Alas.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    Oh, no. John was a good soul and a wonderful contributor to mandolin repertoire. I did meet him at one of the CMSA conventions. We will miss him.
    I met him too at a CMSA convention - he was a good guy and it is sad to such lose a talent.

Blog Entries

My condolences to all who knew and loved him.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

I was very sorry to hear, today, about John Goodin's passing. I got to know him well when we attended the Classical mandolin conventions. He made very one, and I guess I made very other one. A really creative musician with lots of friends.

I need to proof read what I write...I know that! He made every CMSA convention and starting at the Dayton one, I seemed to make every other one. It was always great to see John selling his many things: books; cds; etc. ....and playing tunes with him.
    Nick Royal

Registered User Hendrik Luurtsema's Avatar

That's very sad to hear. He was a very friendly guy and and an inspiring person to me. The first tunes I played were composed by him. He supported me in making my own luurtieful weblog.

Elaborating a bit, years ago, John was kind enough to send me the Greek album that he played on (Maria Zouves' With Flowers Crowned). When I used to send scores of my arrangements around by e-mail for whatever winter festivity you care to celebrate, I kept John on my list. He was kind in correspondence to follow, of course. I don't think I ever met him in person, but I wish I had.