Thread: mandolin worth?

Default mandolin worth?

Hi there. I was wondering if you can help me determine the value of my mandolin. It isn't stamped Dreima but I found the same mandolin on the British Museum website https://www.britishmuseum.org/collec.../H_Eu1972-01-5. I've attached pictures here. It's missing one tuner peg. Thanks!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image_6487327 (1).jpg 
Views:	212 
Size:	860.9 KB 
ID:	196723Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image_6487327 (2).jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	845.3 KB 
ID:	196724Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image_6487327 (3).jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	746.5 KB 
ID:	196725Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image_6487327 (4).jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	337.9 KB 
ID:	196726

Default Re: mandolin worth?

Despite the fact that one is in the British Museum this is a simple lower-end German mandolin worth probably at most couple of hundred euros. It looks like it is in decent condition. Put new strings on it and play and enjoy it.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jim Garber For This Useful Post:

What I can see of your home is lovely!

Jim's right. Jim's always right! He knows stuffff.

Billy
    Billy Packard
    Gilchrist A3, 1993
    Stiver Fern, 1990
    Weber Fern, 2007
    Gibson F4 Hybrid #1, D. Harvey 2009
    Gibson 1923 A2
    Numerous wonderful guitars

Warm welcome to MandolinCafe, there’s a very friendly beginners forum if you want to learn to play, and to post some tunes?
    I wondered about your post, a couple of days ago there was some contentious talk about German artefacts at the museum. Perhaps Scandinavian too?

Seeing that large drinking bowl in the photo, that is for a dog, right?

Thanks for the help and warm welcome Jim, Billy and Simon! A friend of mine left this behind when he moved to Portugal. He is of Roma (Gypsy) descent and it was a family heirloom. Thought I may have stumbled on a gem since I saw it listed in the British Museum. I unfortunately don't play so I thought it was time I should let someone else enjoy it.

Jim-I was thinking of listing it on eBay or craigslist for $150. Is that too little? Too much?
    Billy-Thanks for the compliment.
    Simon-Yep, large bowl for a very small dog.

Prices in France, 20% of these prices are silly but the rest are about average.
    https://www.leboncoin.fr/recherche?c...text=mandoline

For yours in France it would be 60-90 euros that you could ask?

Welcome, and pick up the instrument! Mandolins are as eclectic as a typewriter in the chimney. Since it almost doesn’t matter for value, the missing peg button would be hard to match, so anything will do, glued or melted on. A local music store might have some loose. Even a plastic electrical wire connector works (in one direction better than the other).

Quote Originally Posted by scifiwasabbi00 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image_6487327 (1).jpg 
Views:	212 
Size:	860.9 KB 
ID:	196723

... dog.
    From what I can see of your houseplants, they might be unsafe for pets.

1. The plant just to the right of the mandolin peghead, appears to be a snake plant, fifth on the American Kennel Club list.

2. If the plant in the white pot is lucky bamboo or corn plant etc, aka NOT BAMBOO at all but instead one of the many forms of dracaena (despite stores slapping a 'bamboo' label on everything), then yep that's not safe for pets either.

3. The plant on the left looks like wandering jew, a possible skin irritant to pets.

There are many other (dozens) of common houseplants which are also not suitable for pet owners. In fact, it seems that the most popular, coolest looking, and easiest-to-grow houseplants, tend to be some of the worst offenders as far as pet safety.

I'm thinking a ham sandwich. What do you think Allen?
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

The next time I post a photo of one of my mandolins I will be very careful to not show the contents of my house.

12. The following members say thank you to Hudmister for this post:

That "wandering Jew" plant has nothing on the meanderings of this thread...

Not even a "ham sandwich," Mike, this is like asking about the sandwich and getting replies discussing sanitation in the deli's kitchen. Possibly useful information (didja wonder why the place is called "Subs By Sal Monella?"), but quite unrelated to the OP's questions.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

14. The following members say thank you to allenhopkins for this post:

It could be argued that complaining is more disruptive than simply allowing a bit of friendly conversation between willing participants.

Quote Originally Posted by JL277z View Post
    It could be argued that complaining is more disruptive than simply allowing a bit of friendly conversation between willing participants.
    Yeah, it could be -- but not convinced that all participants are equally on board for discussion of pet-toxic houseplants. Check out Hudmister's Post #10.

If the OP's cool with it, forget what I posted -- but, the "ham sandwich" argument is for when one replies to the original question, with information directed to another question entirely:

Q. "Whaddaya think of the Kentucky KM-150?"

A. "Have you considered the Eastman MD-315? I think it's a great instrument; I own one and play it continually. I've never played the Kentucky, but I unhesitatingly recommend the Eastman."

Happens all the time. Have to say I've never before heard this one:

Q. "What's my Dreima mandolin worth?"

A. "Some of your houseplants may be dangerous to pets."

Something new every day, I guess. No offense intended, but I was replying to Mike E's question -- hopefully in a lighthearted tone...
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

17. The following members say thank you to allenhopkins for this post:

It’s a setup, that you’re going to need if you do intend to play it.
    A lot of these instruments have action that is too high to play.

Also, make note that we have a very diverse group of some highly qualified people on MandolinCafe, men and women and others from many countries throughout the world. Yet probably more than half don’t even speak English!
    So you’ll get a huge variety of responses to whatever they understand from your questions, implied, graphic or otherwise.

It is a nice mandolin and here on MandolinCafe you’ll find all you need to play it beautifully!

A close up inspection of your mandolin reveals the finish is worn off the back of the neck and also a wear spot on the back of the body where it rubs while being held, suggesting it was played quite a bit. If so it is probably already well set up and may need no further work other than tuner repair and strings. A new set of tuning machines for a slot head mandolin can be had for little expense. It may be you have a real player there. If you have no interest in learning to play the mandolin I hope you find a loving home for it where it can sing again.

Can you say how high the action is? -the gap between the strings an the fretboard.
    One way to check is to take a coin and see if it will fit between the fattest string and the fret at the twelfth fret. It’s marked by the spot nearest to the sound hole.
    Tell us (and what type/how many coins ) and that may give you a better idea of the value.

Or better yet please post a photo of the mandolin from the side so as to show the strings above the fret board. A close up will be very helpful.