Thread: A first mandolin

Question A first mandolin

Good morning, I am looking for guidance about what to look for in a first mandolin. I would like to get my partner one as a gift. He is a musician and has played mandolins a handful of times.

I've seen a few secondhand mandolins for sale, but after doing some research, I realized those were not necessarily the way to go - a Hondo was listed in my area, as was a Johnson a model MA-100.

Though I am not looking to spend $500+ on a first mandolin, could anyone provide information about what to be looking for in this instance? Are there true mandolins that are not extremely expensive that can serve as good starters? Any insights will be much appreciated!

2. The following members say thank you to writeremc for this post:

Default Re: A first mandolin

You'll have better odds of getting something that plays well by shopping at some of the sponsors here, or shops known for their acoustic instrument setups done.

Around here, Kentucky and Eastman seem to get the most "nods" for entry instruments, but they do start around that $500 number. A well set-up instrument of another brand can be fine for a first instrument, IMO, but, again, look at some of the listings at sponsor sites to see what brands are there. If it's a brand sold only at Amazon, Walmart, etc., then I'd skip those.
    2018 Kentucky KM-950, 2017 Ellis A5 Deluxe

4. The following members say thank you to keith.rogers for this post:

For about half of your $500, you can get a student level instrument like the Rover RM-50. It has a solid wood top (a plus), which is machine-carved rather than heat-pressed (another plus). If you get it from a store like Elderly Instruments, they do a shop set-up which eliminates the need for you to get the instrument professionally set up (bridge height & location, nut checked, neck checked and truss rod adjusted if necessary, etc.). Mandolins need more adjustment and tweaking -- or at least more pro checking of how they come from the factory -- than guitars, as a general rule; function of the un-fixed adjustable bridge, mainly.

I note Elderly is sold out of RM-50's at present, but says they can be "special ordered" and gives a phone number. Not as nice an instrument as, say, a Kentucky KM-150 or an Eastman MD305, but around half the price.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to allenhopkins For This Useful Post:

Teacher, repair person

.. duplicate post

Teacher, repair person

Some of the Johnsons that I have seen were pretty awful. Rover might be a better choice if your budget is very limited.
    Or, since he already plays a little bit, you could give him a gift certificate or go shopping with him and let him make a choice.

I second Allen's advice. I started on a Rover RM-50 and it was a nifty little mando for the money. Here's one cheap, perhaps not set-up, but at that price you could afford to pay for one.
    "The paths of experimentation twist and turn through mountains of miscalculations, and often lose themselves in error and darkness!"
    --Leslie Daniel, "The Brain That Wouldn't Die."

Some tunes: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCa1...SV2qtug/videos

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jaycat For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

I wrote this advice over a decade ago and I believe the advice is still good. Your first mandolin needn't cost a fortune. Where you get it is more important that which model you get. For a new player, set up is the absolute key. Talks of tone and projection are a bit silly at that point.an all plywood thick finished mandolin will still sound like a mandolin to most listeners.

Buying a first instrument from a shop that will set it up properly so its ready to play out of the box is the most important. Plus, those shops often have return policies of there is anything structurally wrong with the instrument.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JEStanek For This Useful Post:

Thanks everyone for weighing in here. I really appreciate the guidance and insights. I hope to share where I land with this gift.

14. The following members say thank you to writeremc for this post:

It is nice to buy someone a pricey present but you do mention that he is a musician. I wonder in that case it might be more sensible to give him a hand-made gift certificate toward a mandolin. I would guess that a bottom of the line beginners mandolin might not work too well for a person who has a $2000-4000 guitar, say and has been playing for multiple years. Just my two cents. If he wasn’t a musician I might say go ahead with the low priced mandolin but I am afraid he might be stuck with a wall hanger. Maybe better to take him shopping and contribute to the final price.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by writeremc View Post
    Thanks everyone for weighing in here. I really appreciate the guidance and insights. I hope to share where I land with this gift.
    I’ve always thought that a flattop makes a fine first mandolin that still has a role with the addition of a second or even third one:

https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/184254#184254
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

Quote Originally Posted by pheffernan View Post
    I’ve always thought that a flattop makes a fine first mandolin that still has a role with the addition of a second or even third one:

https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/184254#184254
    I agree. I just got a 39 year old Flatiron and it plays wonderfully. Good recommendation.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

18. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post: