Thread: New KR Strings Octave Mandolin -The Octolindo

Default New KR Strings Octave Mandolin -The Octolindo

We are thrilled to introduce our new Octolindo model octave mandolin!

Drawing from over three decades playing, studying, and restoring fine vintage American stringed instruments, our new Octolindo design unites the classic styles and contours of our favorite vintage instruments with innovative techniques drawn from contemporary luthiery.

Our Octolindos include a deluxe hardshell case, Nugget/Northfield tailpieces and custom bridges of premium grade ebony from our good friends at Cumberland Acoustics.

Debuting at our premier Mandolindo dealerships this Fall, we invite you to stop in and discover a powerful new voice in acoustic tone.

www.Mandolindo.com

For more information please contact:

krstrings@gmail.com

808-387-4583

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4466.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	729.5 KB 
ID:	196776

Name:	IMG_4468.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	591.1 KB 
ID:	196775

https://youtu.be/DhJ6llWE1aYClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4464.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	419.1 KB 
ID:	196773Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4465.jpeg 
Views:	89 
Size:	1.08 MB 
ID:	196774

Name:	IMG_4476.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	360.2 KB 
ID:	196777
    Last edited by KR Strings; Oct-11-2021 at 12:06am. Reason: Add pics

Default Re: New KR Strings Octave Mandolin -The Octolindo

I believe I first saw this on Thursday on an Instagram post from The Mandolin Store. I'd love to know more. What really surprised me is that the Octolindo appears to be an arch top while the Mandolindo is clearly a flat top. I love the 21.5 inch scale and at $3600 it would appear to be a serious competitor to the Northfield Arch Top Octave mandolin. I found the rosewood back and sides to be compelling and surprising. (I love love love the Terse shaped Pono flat top octave mandolin in this combination.) It would appear that this prototype was sold by the time I clicked onto The Mandolin Store webpage to learn more about it.

Are there any plans to make a maple back and sides version?
    Play that which you feel is groovy, get down with your bad self, and shake your money maker if it makes sense for you to do so.

Holly cow, yes!
    Are the models below the custom deluxe not carved tops?
    What is linearly graduated?
    2007 Weber Custom Elite "old wood"
    2017 Ratliff R5 Custom #1148
    Several nice old Fiddles
    2007 Martin 000-15S 12 fret Auditorium-slot head
    Deering Classic Open Back
    Too many microphones

BridgerCreekBoys.com

Hello,

Linear graduation is our attempt to explain the concept behind our top design. I have always found archtop instruments with a very gentle graduation to be the most complex and rich harmonically. Violins, cellos, archtop guitars, and mandolins seem to my ear to follow this trend. I also found over the years as a luthier and musician that many people playing Octave mandolin want a fuller, more robust sound as often they are filling an accompanists role in a variety of ensembles, replacing the flat top acoustic guitar or pairing with very bright melodic instruments like the fiddle or banjo.

Working with a modified flat top with f holes and an X brace (that I think of more as four V braces joined at the center) allows us to manipulate the tension and stiffness of the top in four directions. This in combination with a significant dome and arch to the back begins to approximate some of the same dynamics at work in flat back basses and instruments by Maccafferi, a big complex tone that projects extremely well. But as you say, if people really prefer a carved top Octave, we can do that too.

Yes, some Maple back and sides in the works!

Thank you, -Kilin Reece