Thread: 1st position - 8th fret

Default 1st position - 8th fret

Hi all! I'm not sure how to approach the last bar in the 2 octave F-major arpeggio in the picture below... its from Marilyn Mair's book and she usually signals where you need to shift position, but doesn't in this case....

...so, it implies that it is played in first position, but that leaves me reaching for the 8th fret with my pinky - which requires a big stretch or a quick shift in hand position. Neither seems optimal.

Any thoughts on how I should approach this?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2553.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	422.5 KB 
ID:	196784  

Default Re: 1st position - 8th fret

Personally, I just do a mini shift up. A 1.5 position, if you will. While I can stretch my pinky to get it, it comes out cleaner sounding if I shift a bit. May not be exactly proper technique, but works for me. Even do the mini shift for 7th frett on occasion, but don't tell! 😉

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Johnnymac511 For This Useful Post:

If you're just going to C and no higher, reaching with 4th finger while remaining in first position is actually a pretty normal fingering.

As an exercise, try playing the normal first position C scale fingering on the E strings (E-F-G-A-B), holding all four fingers down. Should be comfortable. Then slide up to C with fourth finger, without lifting the other fingers. Your ability to extend this way will depend especially on how you're holding the mandolin, and what your wrist and thumb are doing. Hope this helps!

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bruce Clausen For This Useful Post:

You could also try playing the F (3rd fret, D string) with your first finger, then A at 7th fret, 3rd finger, C on A string 3rd fret with 1st finger, High F at 8th fret on A string with 4th finger, high A on E string at 5th fret with 2nd finger then high C on E string, 8th fret with 4th finger. It depends on whether you are just playing the arpeggio as an exercise or if it is part of a tune and would then have an effect on your subsequent fingering.
    I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order. - Eric Morecambe

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheOldBores

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to John Kelly For This Useful Post:

Good point, John, you could play the whole arpeggio in second position. And in fact for tunes in the key of F second position will often be simpler and smoother than first. But presumably, in the OP's excerpt the author intended first position.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bruce Clausen For This Useful Post:

Page 3. Probably not really what you want for this application, but this might help for many other cases:
    http://jazzmando.com/FFcP.pdf

11. The following members say thank you to Simon DS for this post:

Thanks everyone, really grateful for your suggestions! I'll give them a try and let you know how I get on...

Rob

Stop the chop!
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Boyett View Post
    Hi all! I'm not sure how to approach the last bar in the 2 octave F-major arpeggio in the picture below... its from Marilyn Mair's book and she usually signals where you need to shift position, but doesn't in this case....

...so, it implies that it is played in first position, but that leaves me reaching for the 8th fret with my pinky - which requires a big stretch or a quick shift in hand position. Neither seems optimal.

Any thoughts on how I should approach this?
    2nd position all the way.

Stop the chop!
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Clausen View Post
    If you're just going to C and no higher, reaching with 4th finger while remaining in first position is actually a pretty normal fingering.

As an exercise, try playing the normal first position C scale fingering on the E strings (E-F-G-A-B), holding all four fingers down. Should be comfortable. Then slide up to C with fourth finger, without lifting the other fingers. Your ability to extend this way will depend especially on how you're holding the mandolin, and what your wrist and thumb are doing. Hope this helps!
    Also depends on your anatomy. The first step, to me, is difficult, the second impossible. Small hands, I can barely reach an octave on the piano. The normal reach is a tenth (I've been told).