Thread: Ebay Gibson F-5

Default Ebay Gibson F-5

https://www.ebay.com/itm/26535554758...063a%7Ciid%3A1

Is it just me or does $12,000 seem just a tad high for a 1975 Gibson F-5?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gibson F-5 1975.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	154.3 KB 
ID:	196786  
    Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band

Default Re: Ebay Gibson F-5

It's off the chart. It's from Gibson's worst period and might be worth a few grand, tops. I'm always surprised anyone would even consider a Norlin era anything.

As a practical matter, my understanding is that Gibson mandolins were on a steady downward slide in quality after Lloyd Loar left. The late 20s Ferns are different but highly regarded. After that, it's downhill, which is why the 30s instruments are regularly "Woodsified", having the tops and backs tuned, the sound bars shaved, and the fretboards replaced, as pioneered by Randy Woods and others. Once done, these can be spectacular.

Roger Siminoff turned the corner on the downhill slide with the introduction of the F5L (L for Loar) in the late 70s and early 80s. These are well respected and usually well priced. After that, it was Steve Carlson, and the stream of quality instruments we have now.

I wouldn't waste time or money one like this. But that's just my opinion, and I stand to be corrected by anyone who has one and has a different view.

3. The following members say thank you to j4music for this post:

Teacher, repair person

Way too high. 3 or 4 times too high based on standard market value for the period. These are the mandolins that opened the door for the early Japanese instruments.

Personally, I wouldn't buy a '70's F-5 at any price. If I was younger and one was given to me for free, I might take it apart, regraduate it, replace the tone bars, replace the frets, and give it a thin varnish or lacquer finish, and cross my fingers that it might sound good. But even if one got it for free and did all that work, the cost of the work would exceed the value of the re-worked instrument.

Just take a look at all of the fine mandolins you can choose from at half the asking price of that Gibson.
    Last edited by rcc56; Oct-11-2021 at 1:34pm.

$1,200 might be more like it.
    But I wouldn't even consider it at that price...

$120? $12? $1.20?
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

7. The following members say thank you to mrmando for this post:

Teacher, repair person

I'll might take it if the seller will give me $120. He'll have to pay the shipping, though.

"It'll cost you five bucks for me to play the piano. For me not to play the piano, it costs ten." --Chico Marx

Well, Goodwill last week had this Gibson, and the bidding was getting elevated. Being ignorant of the genre, I image searched till I found that it was sort of a Nashville promo, assembled ‘on the spot’ for tourists and essentially a toy. Just looked it up: no bids, no sale, so they somehow must have erased it all. I was wondering if some sucker was going to get drawn in thinking all Gibsons are gold.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4B72CD3A-AAD9-47BF-96BF-77067986F3AD.png 
Views:	89 
Size:	2.20 MB 
ID:	196795

Well, this thing reappeared, with the simulated truss rod cover flipped over to the blank side, and the listing is unbranded. Sort of ethical thing to do, I guess.

IMO, it's silly. Then again, he's asking $16k for a 1954 D-28 with an 80's case.

That mandolin will be for sale for a long time at that price, IMO.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

Quote Originally Posted by Richard500 View Post
    Well, Goodwill last week had this Gibson, and the bidding was getting elevated. Being ignorant of the genre, I image searched till I found that it was sort of a Nashville promo, assembled ‘on the spot’ for tourists and essentially a toy. Just looked it up: no bids, no sale, so they somehow must have erased it all. I was wondering if some sucker was going to get drawn in thinking all Gibsons are gold.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4B72CD3A-AAD9-47BF-96BF-77067986F3AD.png 
Views:	89 
Size:	2.20 MB 
ID:	196795
    I actually bought one of those in a lot of instruments back in my selling days. They were way less than spectacular. I lost on that one. Gibson actually cut off the Epiphone truss rod covers that were marked Gibson and installed them on the headstock with no truss rod. I had assumed wrongly that these might have been old stock Flatiron stuff. They looked like they were made out of luan plywood like you'd get at home depot. There's some other information about them someplace here.

Here it is.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

The '54 D-28 has a 2000 serial number!?!?

Blog Entries

Yes that price is out of control-to put things in perspective I picked up a nice 1942 F-5 with the Fluer-DI-Lis! Granted the top and back were twice as thick as a Loar, the tone bars were like mini 2x4's, it was heavily lacquer oversprayed, it had a huge heavy neck, needed a neck set but was all there "all original hardware" and rare for a 42 F-5. I got that less than the 5 in the OP advertised on evilbay-sure I have to put 2-3K in her but Mr. Randy Wood will do her up right!

How is Mr. Randy Wood still going? I was in high school when he built his first mandolin and I'm an old man!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hilburn View Post
    How is Mr. Randy Wood still going? I was in high school when he built his first mandolin and I'm an old man!
    Jim, you’re not old, you’ve just “Opened up”! Just like me!!��������
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

Or, perhaps, as my friend's young son said, trying to cheer him up, "You're not old, Dad. You just look old."